BRASIL, BRASILEIRO

Hi,
I was in Brasil, exactly in Sao Paulo last month, after 2 years, in the meadle for March in order to visit my family and to renew my Permenent Visa each 2 years.
I would like to talk about Sao Paulo and transformations during last 2 years observed during my stay.
My trip started in Tokyo, with conecction in Atlanta and finally, after 22 hours flying I'm in Guarulhos Airport.
Nothing changed, despite Copa do Mundo starts about 2 months ... no modernization, no more facilities ... Is there sufficient to receive a lot of tourists in 2 months???
I took a Taxi to the Center of Sao Paulo City... 7 o'clock in the morning, relatively early morning, but there was a terrible traffic on the freeways and roads and spend 100 minutes to near Av. Angelica.
Freeways and roads with no maintenance or in maintenance for more than 2 years, many brooken cars tying up the traffic... scribbled walls ... is it possible receive a lot of tourists in 2 months?? Taxi from Guarulhos Airport price ... 120 Reais (about 55 American Dollares) .
Every time, I went in May, near Mother's Day, but, thinking there are near Jogos da Copa too, I was in the meadle of March to avoid troubles.
Fortunately, I got all my family and friends very well ... I visited my favorite spots, restaurants, shopping centers but all seems with no maintenance, and the prices ... all expensives ... much than Tokyo.
The prices in supermarkets, "feiras livres" have doubled in 2 years.
Eating out, lunch with fish or meat as a main, with salad, bread and a bottle of mineral water prices varies about 20 to 40 Reais (10 to 20 American Dollars) . In Tokyo, varies about 500 to 1500 Yens (5 to 15 American Dollars).
I had to visit cartorios, Ministerio da Fazenda and Policia Federal to regularize my situation as a permanent foreign ...  a lot of bureaucracies, lines here and there, protocols here and there, a lot of time expended... oh my God, give me patience and health to do everything ,,, nothing changed in public services.
I went to Itau Bank, many security systems works like American Airports, armed securities man, increadible ... many security instructions in wall posters ... is really a bank???
Despite this situation, the people looks happy, the children are laughing, everybody using their cell telephones seems happy... and, young people are studying a lot (2 or 3 colleges)  praying for a better life.
I hope my next time, Olimpyc Games Year, Brazil have  opportunitie to appear for the world better conditions.  Is it possible??
God bless Brazil and all brazilians.
Okada

Hi Okada,

You have just given an extremely accurate portrait of São Paulo indeed!!! It's incredible to think that there are still Brazilians that think "vai dar tudo certo" and that Brazil is going to be able to host the World Cup in a little over two months with nothing ready. Nationwide 70% of all the promised transportation projects for the Cup are way over budget and behind schedule or they've been cancelled completely. Airports everywhere are a disgrace. Yet, they've fooled themselves into believing that they're going to get through this event without the worldwide image of Brazil going into nuclear meltdown! They never learned their lesson following the 2007 PanAmerican Games fiasco, where workers were still putting final touches on many of the sports venues as spectators were filing in to watch games and where many of the sites were unfit for any use following the games. They won't learn anything this time and I'm afraid this could even put the 2016 Olympic Games in serious doubt.

I laughed until my sides split when you described the banks! The security systems keep everybody out except the bank robbers!!! Every year we see reports of somebody who loses patience with the revolving doors constantly locking them out and they wind up taking off everything down to their underwear. Even then the door won't work. We recently had a case where one of the bank guards shot and killed a client over some misunderstanding.

I remember when I first came to Brazil over 12 years ago and I asked if the building I was looking at was a PRISON. It looked just like a maximum security prison anywhere in North America, barred windows, razor tape atop the high concrete walls, guard towers, security barriers, everything! My friend just laughed and told me, "No, it's a factory SILLY". That's when I knew that I was really in for trouble. Here in Brazil the factories all look like prisons and the prisons look like factories!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

My sister and family live in "predio de apartamentos" they have double automatic doors to park their cars, and in the "portaria" they ask for Documento de Identidade before call my sister at interphone... same procedure is observed in offices buildings... really like PRISONS, very scare.
This type of procedure is it normal out Sao Paulo or Big Cities??
Okada

Yes, it is common in São Paulo, Rio, Belo Horizone, and most other cities.

I used to work in most of the office buildings in São Paulo and many even have X-ray machines like the airports to scan all the bags, briefcases, packages, etc., that everybody brings into the building.  This is not just for visitors, but all employees too. Actually it is probably easier to get through security and get into many prisons than to get into most office buildings in São Paulo.

If any investor wants to make a fortune in Brazil, all he/she needs to do is start-up a company that manufactures any kind of SECURITY equipment like CCTV cameras and monitors, electric fences, window bars, barbed wire or razor tape, these things sell out as quickly as most stores can put them out on the shelves!

OMG

And when going out of the condo, look what`s happened today: "British oil worker shot dead in Brazil"
English expat killed in Rio
Sad.

much people know that I lived many years in Brazil and come to wonder about a vacance trip in Brazil ... I never had courage to recommend because I know better than any one how danger is the main cities in Brazil.
One time, 15 years ago, one japanese lady comes to ask me about visit her daughter and new borned grand daughter in Santos City, because her daughter and husband don't recommend her coming ... but that daughter is only child she had had, and the lady was with cancer, may be only one opportunitie to look their face and take a look about her daughter life in Santos... I don't had an other alternative and I recommend my brother in SP to pickup her at Airport  to Santos City.

Actually I wonder how japanese immigrants could ever adapt in Brazil. I worked in Tokyo a few months and never felt so safe in my life. Japaneses are so reserved, polite and respectfull. What`'s a cultural shock it should be when moving to Brazil!