ISB or BSB?

Hey there :)
I'm moving to Brussels soon and I'm having trouble deciding on which school to go to. I've narrowed my choices down to ISB (International School Brussels) and BSB (British School Brussels), but I just can't decide! I'm 14 and I will be going into 9th grade (Year 10) Someone help me please :/

ISB follows the international curriculum, BSB the British one. Where are you now? Which system?

I'd say do the international one, but what do I know.  I'm just a crazy American :p

Have you considered talking to your school's guidance counselor?

Thank you for answering! Right now I'm in the Bordeaux International School which follows the british curriculum. It doesn't matter to me though, since I'm planning on doing IB which both schools have... I don't have any one at school to help me choose the right school :(

Can you visit the schools? Talk to people?
(We've opted for the BSB, because they seemed to care more for potential pupils, took time for us, talked to our kids, asked questions and listened to their answers. In ISB we were just part of the daily routine. But generally they both seem ok)

I won't have a chance until may or june sadly, and I need to apply now... Do your children go to BSB? What are your general impressions on the schools?

ISB only officially follows IB diploma program from aged 16 to 18, it doesn't do the IB middle years program, so for you from 14-16 years initially,  though its own curriculum may not be far off the IB middle years.

BSB follows English national curriculum from 14-16 years (and earlier too). If you're following that at your current school and would have been going on to do IGCSEs there, then maybe BSB is a more natural option. At BSB, as you will already know, from 16-18 years, you can continue with UK A levels or IB diploma - there are roughly 110 in 16-17 years year group now, split almost evenly between A levels and IB. You can also do IB diploma partly in French too, if you are a French speaker, or Dutch even! You can't do this at ISB I think.

If you choose BSB, just remember the next 2 years will be filled with building, then if you continue from 16-18 years, the school will be by far the best equipped in Belgium in terms of facilities, just have to go through the pain of the building to get there. ISB has just finished its rebuilding program.

If you cannot decide due to curriculum being the same at 16-18 years, then many you could decide on location. I'm heavily biased, I love Watermael-Boitsfort where ISB is situated, because it is very international and not just based around ISB, kids go to local schools and European schools!!! Tervuren, by comparison, has an international community where the vast majority of the children attend BSB, so breaking out of the expat bubble is much harder there, possible still but harder, easier if you live a little up the road in Wezembeek-Oppem (W-O) or Woluwe-St-Pierre (WSP).

If you're heavily into Amercian sports, then maybe that is a good reason to choose ISB. Or if you're heavily into hockey or cricket or rugby, then I'd go for BSB. Not a silly way to choose at all, extra-curricular activities might be of huge importance in your life and as both schools offer once you're 16 years old the same curriculum, this one factor might decide it for you.

Thanks for the great reply! We were going to choose a house depending on which school I'm going to, but our favorite regions are WSP and W-O. Maybe Audergheim or Watermael-Boitsfort, Tervuren is too far out. Since I'm neither british nor american (I'm german) the curriculum doesn't matter too much either as long as the school does IB. I like to play Tennis, which both schools do. Do your children go to one of the schools? How do you know so much about them?

Would living in wsp or wezembeek or kraainem suit your parents work better or would watermael boitsfort?

If WSP area is a favourite, so long as you don't mind the building works at bsb, it would make sense to chose there.

No my kids are all in local schools,I just know many families with kids at bsb and isb.

The German community can be found around WSP and Wezembeek in the main too.

You could always check if you can do some of the IB in German too at BSB, it might give you the edge over other IB students when applying for universities, languages are far better supported at BSB, no disrespect to ISB.

If it makes a difference, I believe if you're selected for the school team at BSB for tennis, it is free. Hiring a court on a Sunday at BSB is free always. At ISB, tennis is a paying activity, like many of their extra-curricular activities, at BSB most extra-curricular activities are included in fees.

Whichever school you choose, just make sure you have a good public transport route to get there - for BSB near trams 39 and 44 or buses 315/7 and 830. For ISB near tram 94 and bus 95.

Thanks so much! My mom will work in Brussels so she doesn't want to live too far out. She thinks the area around W-O and WSP is nicer to live in than Watermael-Boitsfort. Are there any americans at BSB? Or is it only british? Are the students in these school nice and welcoming? Sorry for all the quesitons :P

Actually for green and village feel, watermael boitsfort is better, fir slightly fast connections to central Brussels other than ave Louise, wsp is better. More rentals in wsp too but both are lovely area to live.

Bab is around 40 per cent British, next biggest nationality I think is Belgian, then American and at complete guess close to 100 but admissions would confirm. I believe Isb is similar, reverse British with.American.

Okay, are the people in the schools welcoming? So if I wanted to do my IB in different languages, BSB would be better? Thanks for all the answers!

It's part of the school's business to make sure the staff and students are friendly. Again a guess that each school has an annual turnover of 20% so it's part of the business that new students have to feel welcome and quickly settled.

I know at BSB you can do IB French and Dutch to first language level, not sure about German, you'd have to ask. I don't think you can do anything other than English to first language IB at ISB.

So, ISB it is.

Since the month of April is full of holidays, I start from May 2014.

Will keep you all posted.

Regards, Allwyn.

Hi there,
Which school did you choose?
Are you happy there?
Where do you live?

Thanks.