Newbie asking about Public Hoildays and working hours in jakarta?

HI Everyone

just wanting some feedback, as I have a good job offer to come to jakarta, so much so that myself and my wife are coming over for 2 weeks at the end of April....
Just wanted to know about public hoildays and the amount ? As looking online every year seems to be different?

Plus as I will be working in the retail sector, I understand the hours are longer especially for places in the shopping malls, but are expats expected generally to except this or negotiate different working hours, as they are longer than we are used to in England .

Any insight would help before we make the decision as I am still in negotiations with my potential indonesian employer.
Finally should we worry about Dengue Fever or just except its part and parcel of the life in indonesia?

Thanks

Roy

Public holidays change year to year but the base is fixed.
Indonesia has a few common religions and there are public holidays for all of them.
The longest are Christian and Muslim celebrations.
As with Easter, many Muslim holidays are based on the lunar rather than solar calendar, so they tend to move around a little.

http://jakarta.angloinfo.com/informatio … -holidays/

Dengue Fever

You're more likely to have a heart attack because you're worrying about dengue than you are actually catching it.
Saying that, it is a problem, especially in the rainy season but you can do a lot to reduce your chances to nearly zero.
Mosquitoes tend to be around at night so, if you go out, wear long trousers, socks and shoes.
You're supposed to wear long sleeves as well but you'll melt if you do.
I use an easily bought insect repellent. There are many types available but I use Autan because it doesn't smell of much and I've never been bitten when I've been wearing it.
I don't follow my own advice regarding long trousers and shoes but Autan does the trick.
It also keeps the ants off my feet - they hate it as well.

Malaria is far less of a problem in the cites, but take care anyway. I used anti malaria drugs when on holiday but that only lasted a few days as they had such a terrible effect on my digestion. It seems that's a common side effect.

Working hours.
These will vary a lot job to job but you must remember, your salary will probably be extremely high so - don't moan.  :)
In most jobs, expats tend to get between 20 and 40 times what the cleaners earn.
Retail will probably see longer hours and less holidays so be prepared for that, even to the point of losing national holidays - that's the nature of retail.

Also, forget all the working ideals you're used to in the UK - they don't exist out here.

When I saw your avatar I immediately thought of Joe Satriani  :D

I got dengue fever once, and was laid up in Bandung for about 10 days. I once heard that there are four types of dengue and once you have caught one then you will never get that strain of it again. Not sure if that is true. But during that illness my bones felt like breaking and my skull felt like it was shrinking around my brain. The trick is to drink lots and lots and lots of liquids, water and guava juice and if you are a normal adult then it shouldn't be a problem. Mostly it's children and the very old who may suffer fatalities. Be prepared for lots of sweating if you get it. Hospitalisation is not necessary as long as you drink masses of liquids.

As for working hours, personally, I've always believed that any employee should do more than is asked of them. If you work for someone else then give it your all. That's just a philosophy that I've always believed in. However, if your employer is really desperate to employ you then it's up to you if you want to negotiate your hours. Yes working in the retail sector does mean longer hours everywhere in Asia. That's why Asians are considered as hard workers.

Thanks for the feedback and information,  it's pretty much what I thought but its reassuring to have it all confirmed before I make the move.
Autan is on the shoppping list now!,,,! :)
Thanks again.

Haha well noted....yes im a big Joe Satch fan..I used to do  tribute show years ago.. :top:

I am looking forward to visiting Jakarta next month and all being well signing a contract..
The hours and holidays will be fine but I just wanted to have it confirmed by someone who is in the know.
Also that my potential employer is tellling me the right information.
I have been in Retail for nearly 30 hours so my experience is what they are after but like you all say I have to forget the UK way of working and adjust gradually...its going to be a big adventure which is what myself and my wife are looking for..
Thanks again for the feedback.

Haha...glad to know that. My favourite album is Strange Beautiful Music and my ringtone is "Belly Dancer". Hopefully one day in the future we will meet up, although for the moment I am not permanently living in Indonesia. Yes really enjoy your life in Jakarta and Indonesia. It's an amazing place and the people are really nice.

Aha.good choice of ringtone!
thanks again and yes if things work out and I get the time you might see me playing some Satch in Jakarta!