Second Hand Cars

Hi everybody.

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on their experience of buying a second hand car in Malta, or their recommendation of a good outlet with good service. I have asked the family but they don't use them in Qrendi, they still prefer walking and horses. Please be careful though as I have asked for advice here.........I don't want any lecture from long-in-the-tooth 'badge' men telling me that there is quite a good and cheap bus service on the island as I already know that. And before someone comes in with the "why don't you get a quad bike" solution as it's cheaper, I've already thought of that too, thank you very much.

Please also spare me, the 'looking down your nose' attitudes as well by suggesting some back street garage selling rubbish as I know what I want - I'm not ignorant, I've googled "second hand cars" so I know what one looks like.

You see, I have not confused this "message board/forum" with a blog as I know they are two completely different things - so please remember that 'badge men' and please stick to proper advice on where to acquire such a vehicle.

Thank you all so much in anticipation of a friendly response to this request.

Cordially yours

Mike

:)

Hi Mike,

I bought my 'second-hand' car from the main Toyota dealer for Malta. It was a Japan import and they have all sorts and sizes and colours to choose from. I bought a Toyota Vitz about 1 year old and with low mileage and I'm still happy with the car after several years .

You can even check out their offers online but it is much nicer to go there and walk around the huge display of used cars with descriptions and prices on them. But there is room for bargaining!

I personally feel better with a used car and service from a larger dealer or one of the main dealers even if it might be a bit more expensive.

And be aware : Malta is the Hit-and-run country in Europe. So a new car does not make sense, sooner or later you will find your car with a bump,scratch or dent that would cost hundreds of Euro's to repair. I have 3 incidents now in 3 years !

Cheers
Ricky

i saw what you did there ........ :)

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i saw what you did there ........ :)

Thanks toon.....thought I was losing my 'edge' for a moment there.

(sorry Ricky.......... :kiss:  )

i did worry for a second....... but it was only a second....

Hope that t'others got it as well............. :whistle:

Hi Mike,

I can only give you my personal opinion as from my own experience. I actually just bought a 2nd hand car too (will collect it next Wed, hopefully) from Ray Auto Dealer at Zebbug. I couldn't be happier with their service and with the large selection of cars (lower and higher budget) they have over there. The sales person has always been very honest and courteous with me, and patient too as I kept changing my mind about the car I wanted. They also have their own car insurance and financial services and for people who want to buy a car by installments, their rates and payment options, are not too bad.

I have managed to buy a UK imported Renault Megane Estate 1.5 Dci from 2008 for a good deal, I reckon. If you want to pop in there, I can give some details of the place and the name of the person I spoke with. They have a website and a facebook page too, if you look for Ray Auto Dealer.

Good luck!

Antonio

This appears to have turned into a 'double edged' posting.  :whistle:

Thank you very much for the information Ricky and Mantonas, as always the 'stalwarts' of the forum come up trumps with - yet again - sound advice (regardless of the way the request was 'couched'

Cheers gents

Mike

(Redmik - hope you saw this too mate)

Just had the next hit-and-run damage !

Malta is definitly the worst country in Europe in that respect.

But now it is getting worthwhile to get a Maltese pay for my repairs. I have fully comprehensive insurance and legal in Malta and and coverage through my legal insurance from Germany that covers legal costs anywhere in Europe.

I know the right places to look for a payee !

The next Maltese coming from the left when I have the right of way pays ! -)))

Cheers
Ricky

PS So don't buy a new car in Malta ......

German insurance efficiency meets Maltese driving 

smashing

dont buy a second hand car as its just someone else problems.... and at rip off prices...

however i understand 100% rickys comments regarding not buying new....... driving standards and abilities here are NIL

I bought a 2nd hand import from Japan (Vitz), was 7 years old - is now 15 years old - hardly a thing gone wrong in those 8 years