Shortchanged by I.S.P.

A friend pays for what she is told is a month's internet service.
Not even two weeks into... her internet service runs out. (??)
She calls to inquirer and is told her Skype usage is probably to blame as it eats-up a lot of bandwidth. (what??)

This is such B.S.
It smells like they monitor her online activity and just don't approve of the fact she is using Skype as a method of communicating.

Any comments appreciated -

I'd not call it BS.

You seem to have purchased a fixed bandwidth package and the usage was under-estimated. That's how it ran out.

Almost all connections come with Activity monitors, you can frequently monitor performance (especially in the first month) and then upgrade or downgrade bandwidth size accordingly.

As far as monitoring is concerned, each and everything from your sms/calls to internet bytes ARE monitored by government authorities. ISPs maintain stats too.

maybe what he bought was the per GB package, most internet providers sells internet per GIGABYTES, and they also have the other one which is fix monthly package which is either 2,3,6 months unlimited package, the per GB package most of the time dpends on how you used it, indeed SKYPE & YOUTUBE consumes awful lot of bandwidth, maybe the seller just estimated it and told him that its good for 1 month, next time just make sure that you purchase the unlimited/monthly package instead. :)

ralph-HRD-Dude wrote:

maybe what he bought was the per GB package, most internet providers sells internet per GIGABYTES, and they also have the other one which is fix monthly package which is either 2,3,6 months unlimited package, the per GB package most of the time dpends on how you used it, indeed SKYPE & YOUTUBE consumes awful lot of bandwidth, maybe the seller just estimated it and told him that its good for 1 month, next time just make sure that you purchase the unlimited/monthly package instead. :)

Yeah right @Ralph. Exactly what I said.

What I could read between the lines is: He is upset on why the h**l ISP is monitoring kind of traffic from his friend's usage.

His understanding is right in fact, VoIP+Internet has revolutionized the way people communicate; and of course ISPs (who are telephone and cellular network providers at the same time as well) MUST NOT be liking the drastic revenue drops in their telephony services :)

A few interesting and helpful posts. Thank you.

So what they told her is just an estimated guesse (30 days)  >> she was misinformed.
But in fact its by the Gig. makes sense now.
Well Unlimited is the way to go. thanks again.

''His understanding is right in fact, VoIP+Internet has revolutionized the way people communicate; and of course ISPs (who are telephone and cellular network providers at the same time as well) MUST NOT be liking the drastic revenue drops in their telephony services''

* Interesting: So then it is possible they just cut her off (before her time elapsed).

Jeddah1 wrote:

''His understanding is right in fact, VoIP+Internet has revolutionized the way people communicate; and of course ISPs (who are telephone and cellular network providers at the same time as well) MUST NOT be liking the drastic revenue drops in their telephony services''

* Interesting: So then it is possible they just cut her off (before her time elapsed).

No, they don't  :) That would be too offensive,
To double check this, you may check the usage stats and history of the connection. I'm sure the only reason of cut-out was that the entire limited bandwidth was eaten out.

Another thing in this context, Unlimited connections are NOT truly Unlimited in KSA. They put up a policy named 'FAIR USAGE POLICY'. If your usage gets gigantic, they'll slow down your speed to death for 24 hours :) You really need to know this in case you are switching to Unlimited package.

Well I did think it was offensive but then now I see how it maybe wasn't the case. thanks.

I already have suggested to my friend to get the 'Unlimited' deal.

Txs to everyone -

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Another thing in this context, Unlimited connections are NOT truly Unlimited in KSA. They put up a policy named 'FAIR USAGE POLICY'. If your usage gets gigantic, they'll slow down your speed to death for 24 hours :) You really need to know this in case you are switching to Unlimited package.

TLL, help me out here, please.

What are we considering GIGANTIC usage.   Streaming a Netflix via VPN connection (this I could see), surfing Youtube (possibly), extensive daily scanning of EB and the like...?

My family will use Skype/MagicJack to stay in contact with my sons remaining in the States but it won't be every day and it won't be for hours on end...

Thoughts?

Rigger

Have you given a thought about fiber optics, well STC is providing it .

What are we considering GIGANTIC usage.   Streaming a Netflix via VPN connection (this I could see), surfing Youtube (possibly), extensive daily scanning of EB and the like...?

Just the first.  Massive and frequent downloads/streams.

Jeddah1 wrote:

A few interesting and helpful posts. Thank you.

So what they told her is just an estimated guesse (30 days)  >> she was misinformed.
But in fact its by the Gig. makes sense now.
Well Unlimited is the way to go. thanks again.

Careful from the package you select, sometimes unlimited comes with a 10GB cap that consumers are not aware about.

And how 'bout Skype?
Awfull connection.
I'm getting the impression its either one of two things; 1- I Know Skype and the KSA are at odds and so maybe as a result,it just works poorly. or. 2- Internet-usage-watchdogs monitor online activity and impose limits to any given slected user.
Any thoughts?
txs