Laminated documents are valid for brazil visa processing

Hi,

I am applying for Work Permit in Brazil. Just wanted to know if all my document (i.e Degree Certificate/Marks Card/Marriage Certificate/Birth Certificate) are laminated, will that be accepted for legalization. If no, any other process as all my documents are already laminated. Any suggestions and reply will be really helpful.

Thanks

Hello bacula,

Generally speaking any documents that are laminated ARE NOT considered valid in Brasil, since this violates all the internal security devices built into most documents.

I don't know how universities would treat diplomas, etc., because that is NOT a immigrations issue but rather something that would be up to the individual university. So you'd need to find a university in Brazil that offers the same or equivalent course and contact them directly about their requirements for "Revalidação de Diplomas Estrangeiras".

With regard to the Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, they would definitely be considered invalid if laminated. Also the Birth Certificate cannot be more than 6 months old at the time it is submitted to any Cartório in Brazil or it is not considered valid. (Crazy rules here, all documents for legal purposes can't be older than 6 months) Regarding the Marriage Certificate, if your local Department of Vital Statistics can't or won't issue a new document I really don't know what you can do. It can't be laminated and trying to de-laminate the document will probably destroy it.

The Birth Certificate must be the long form which shows the full name and ethnic origin of your parents. The wallet size document is not accepted for immigrations purposes.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

This is good to know (of course, what ISN'T that's covered here on the Expat.com?).

I, til now when I read this question, had not considered laminating any of the necessary documents, however I have been known to laminate many things that I wanted preserved and not bent, ruined, etc., so it's good to know that's NOT an option for THESE docs.

Thanks for the question, bacula, and thanks for the response, William.