Business trip to Durban - Travel, accommodation, visa expenses

Hi all,
I will be traveling to Durban on a business trip in the next 5-6 months. What are the visa expenses from India to South Africa, travel and accommodation expenses in Durban for a stay of a week?

Given the high crime rate in South Africa, I would not want to let my guard down when I am there. Gotta watch out for any punks who might want to rip me off! I will require a personal bodyguard as well. How much do they charge per day there for a personal bodyguard from a trustworthy security agency?

All suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Please inbox me for any suggestions otherwise!

Thanks,
Nash

I think Durban is far less dangerous than you have been told.  Unless you are travelling with a suitcase full of rare diamonds, a personal bodyguard is excessive.

Best you do some online research for costs. 
Unless you have millions of dollars which you carry around with you I agree with MiaCulpa that a body guard is a waste of serious money.
I have friends in the industry whom I have worked with in Sudan and Afghanistan and you would not get a body guard from a reputable company for less than $500 a day.
Durban is relatively safe. Just have to be aware of what you are doing and where you go. Don't stay in a cheap hotel on the fringes of the city. If traveling by cab get the hotel to organise it for you and tell them where you are going and when you expect to be back.
I have stayed in Jo'berg, Durban and Capetown and have never had any problems.

Who told you that you will need bodyguard??? Somehow thousands of expats survive without one, even in Johannesburg...

I would stay in a guest house rather than a hotel anyway.

Hi

I live in Durban and agree with the other replies. No, you do not need a bodyguard but the fact that you suggested this means you can or have done this before and have the means to do so. Thus take note, crime is high everywhere in SA but some common sense applies. Don't advertise your wealth and personal status, ie, dress normal, nothing too flashy, that includes NO jewelry exposed. There are many Indians from India here but also may South African Indians here too, so you will not stand out too much, only when you speak, because of the accent. Reason is its small things that gives people clues that u'r a foreigner, and believe me, would be criminals pay attention to these small things.
Don't stay at the cheapest places. Holiday Inn Hotels at the Durban beachfront are OK, especially North Beach, and is close to fairly safe beaches. Some bed and breakfasts will be cheaper, areas include Morningside, Durban North are good and fairly safe. Here again, these are not the cheapest areas but fairly safe. Durban is not very big and you can get to almost anywhere in 30 minutes if not in peak traffic hours so choose safety over price. Also, be careful at night if you go out. Don't walk alone anywhere at night.
Take care when drawing money from atm's, there is a high risk of crime in these areas, if not sure how to use these machines, go into the banks to draw money. The biggest attraction to criminals is confusion in public, which shows you are either confused, a foreigner and your guard is down, making you a perfect target for "daylight robbery"
In summary, Durban is a nice city and some common sense will keep you safe and ensure you enjoy our visit. Just leave the designer suits and flashy jewelry at home.

all the best.
Ethers

Its best not to bring attention to yourself or your possessions. I also think that you shouldn't trust people either. Use your sense..if its too good to be true..it probably is. Be careful too, don't flash money around. Invest in a car hire and gps. Don't rely on public transport in any form.