Thinking of moving

Hello all,
I am a children s author and would love to be in a smaller sea side town, with a bit more sun the England, as I am from South Africa, it is the one thing that I am very homesick for... sun.
We do not have young children, they have all 'growed' up and my husband has his own business. The problem is he is very worried that he would not get enough work out there. Is there anyone who can help with an idea on this please?
He is in G>R>P and fixes boats, jet ski s, caravans etc. anything fibreglass,
Thank you all very much in advance and I look forward to hearing from you soon

If you can afford £1K a month for rental, and living for a set up cost, or buy your own place at £125K min then you might be able to live here.  No caravans, just boats, maybe an option but I doubt he'll get rich.

Anyone wanting to move here should first come and visit and speak with people here about how things are.   I am lucky as I don't have to work, I also have a nice place to live and swan around but even with that bed of roses I have pulled a lot of hair out with this eccentricity of this place, the countless forms, the lack of banks (fewer each week), etc.   I have started to look at Malta as a bolt hole and its bigger and offers more options.   Gib is only 2.5 miles long and about a mile wide.   Its currently an island at times with the boarder issues.   So check it out and make sure its for you before you sell up.   I have seen a number of people with dreams loose everything after a few months.

Thats interesting I had fingered Malta along with Gibraltar as places to live in. The difference being I suspect is if you have to earn a crust even trickier in Malta.

I cant comment on job opps in Gib or Malta, Malta is bigger.   I can comment on that I know of 2 companies I had friends in here in Gib who have since moved to Malta, taking their staff with them.   Why, I am not totally sure.

I think you need the Maltese lingo to successfully run a business but the people are very friendly.  The downside of Gibraltar could be falling out with little Hitlers in Govt type jobs or the inevitable oafs in construction / estate agents etc.

Yes I agree, there is a jobs for the boys attitude for Government and Public positions in Gib.  I have met young graduates who have been enticed here to work on public roles for fixed term contracts and have been sent packing back to the UK when there has been a need to give their position to someone's son, who is not qualified for the role but needs a job for life with all the perks that a public position offers.   Gibraltarians seem to want to be a British Colony, prefer to speak Spanish and don't really like the English or any ExPat?   Its a weird place with a them and us mentality, but it still has advantages for the wealthy and if you avoid the politics and develop your own world its easy to enjoy living here without being bothered.

You feel that English people are disliked and Gibraltarians prefer to speak Spanish ?