Family w/ 13 year old considering permanent move, SuvaSuva or V Levu

Hi: My husband and I and our 13 year old boy are ready for a big move from California. We've somewhat narrowed it down to Fiji. We desire
1) Gorgeous TROPICAL area that is not completely overrun with tourism
2) A breezy ocean-front cottage (right on the ocean front): not a mini-mansion but a pretty little breezy thing...
3) Other teenagers and families, and a friendly attitude toward expats.

Can anyone speak to the following points for for me? SO appreciate it!
• Quality of Schools
• Is the culture upscale/entitled/wealthy, or more down-to-earth?
• Is there an attitude toward “Gringos”? : mostly concerned that my son won't get treated harshly for being American. Are American kids excluded once no longer a tourist? 
• Safety: crime
• Beachfront rentals – affordable? Available?  Don't want "view" of ocean - instead, want to be right on it or 1 min walk in a more modest home (not a mini-mansion)
• Alcoholism, drugs - a problem?

• What side of street do cars drive on? Can we keep car?
- Can we bring our pet dog (fully vaccinated, etc.)

Thank you so much!

Hello,

For a point of view, I am an American who moved down to Fiji after living in Hawaii for 10 years. 

But, I think you maybe meant "Savusavu", a town on the island of Vanua Levu, rather than "SuvaSuva".  Suva is the main and capital city of Fiji located on the south eastern side of the main island, Viti Levu.  Getting to your questions....

The quality of the public schools is simply well below what I'm sure you would expect for your son.  Generally considered the "best" schools are the private International Schools, both on Vitu Levu (one in Suva and one in Nadi).  I think those would be the best bet for your son's education.  If you aren't going to live in either of those places, I would recommend finding the best private school wherever you end up and send your son there.

"Culture" is very complicated here.  There are different cultures - the indigenous Fijians (now called ITaukei) have their culture, the Indo-Fijians (those of Indian descent) have their cultures (there are numerous groups), and the ex pats have their own culture. 

There isn't really an active hostility towards persons of Caucasian ethnicity, but in my perspective you will always be different and an outsider.  I doubt your son will be getting beaten up because he is white, but he will always be different from kids who are from Fiji.

The best part of Fiji is the lack of violent crime; it is extremely rare.  However property crime is a very real threat and care must be taken at all times to protect property.  Its basically a situation where if it can be used or has a resale value, and is easily accessible, it may well be gone.

Beachfront pricing is of course far more expensive, but is available.  The further you get from the cities the more available it is.  I am not familiar with Savusavu.

Drugs are rare (thank goodness), but alcoholism is rampant and there is very little assistance for those with alcohol related problems. 

Having learned the hard way, I would say the most important thing you can get is insurance which will allow you to evacuate from Fiji should you face a life threatening situation.  Being an American, you will not have the benefit of the majority of ex pats (folks from Australia and New Zealand) wherein both countries provide free health insurance to their citizenry.  Therefore, it will be incumbent upon you to make sure you have the ability to airlift out of Fiji should a medical situation which goes beyond the capabilities of the hospitals here to handle.

Cars drive on the opposite side to the US; you can bring your car but you will have to have it registered with the local authority (LTA) and they put a stick on the back that says "Left Hand Drive".  Compared to what you are used to, the roads are horrible.  Plus, you have to check if they can service or repair your made-for-America car here.  We decided not to bring our car from the US because they would not be able to have fixed it if it broke down.

You can bring your pet but there is a fairly draconian quarantine procedure.

If you have other questions you can send me a PM.

Hi...and bula..I am from Savusavu and we have a lot of Americans/Kiwis/Australians,Canadians that have bought properties and are residing in Savusavu on assured income.We have good schools here that can cater your 13 yr old and they will not be treated differently here.

You can bring your car but like I have said it will incur duty/taxes with Fiji Government.To reside in anywhere in Fiji you would need to get immigration permits.

Only goods that will be duty Free is the household goods you intend to bring down to Fiji.

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register your company in the business directory]

Thanks,
Bill

Thank you SO much for your detailed answer!!