1 and 2 lipa coins

I've not seen these but I'm told they still exist. I'm surprised they have not been withdrawn. I suppose it would depend on the material composition but they might be worth more as scrap metal than their face value!

there was an article 1 year or something ago where they ask HNB (croatia national bank) why thy dont publish more 1 and 2 lp coins as we neveer get exact change in stores, and guy answered theat there is1 and 2 lp coins worth 3 or 5 (cant remeber correct ) million kuna's out there - 400k or 700k euros :)

but still, you will never get back that 1lipa change in the store

and consider the ammount of money that 1 supermarket earns in that way in 1 month

The population of Croatia is about 4.3 million so that is about 400 coins per head of population. Perhaps they are all in old jars or something in peoples homes. I always tend to accumulate change and periodically chuck the small denomination coins into a container so they are not wearing holes in my pockets. In UK I would eventually hand in my stash of coins to a charity shop but they don't seem to have charity shops here in Hungary.
In Hungary we have the bizarre situation that there is no coin representing one unit of currency, the smallest is 5 Forint. In practice the shopper actually benefits from this, as the shops round the price down to the nearest 5 Ft.