Fes as a place to live

I notice that Fes isn't discussed much here. Sounds as if most people live in oceanside cities - which I totally understand. But I'm sizing up Fes as a place for expats (Canadian in my case). House prices, food prices, Internet, other expats living there, etc etc. Any input welcome!

What is your reason for moving? Do you already have a job? Are you intending to buy a property? Is the cultural draw your strong point?
Depending on what you are looking for Fes can be a very nice place to live, but other cities are more fun, have better job opportunities, better flight connections etc.

I started in Fes but left as Marrakech is the place for me :)

Thanks. I'd rather be on the ocean to begin with, but I got into some websites for Fes and it sounds pretty cool. The 9th-century university is just one! Also I assume you pay a bit of a premium to live near big water, as you seem to pretty much anywhere in the world, so I thought Fes might be more affordable. I heard a lot about expats buying and renovating in the medina there for not that much money - but that was back in 05-06, and maybe things have become more expensive there?

My reasons for moving - if I move - are to do with life changes and the wish to start over. I'm not positive I'll do it, of course - it's a big move, and Toronto is my lifetime home. But I'm feeling ready for a change. My father passed away a few months ago and I'm coming into some decent money. Enough to make this kind of move at least conceivable.

As far as the draw, I've always been intrigued by North Africa, Arab culture, the Mediterranean, and what I hear about the secular nature of Morocco is very positive. The presence of a Jewish community, however small, I take as a good sign (though I'm not Jewish).

I'm also looking into Turkey.

oops - some other salient points. No job, but I do freelance for a number of magazines and with decent Internet I can probably continue to do enough of that to get by. Something to look into anyway. I hope to have enough spare cash to coast for a little while as I get my bearings.

Cosmopolitan nature of Morocco - I take nearness to Europe and the presence of a large tourism trade to mean the country is rather more open and cosmopolitan than others.

Language - while I want and would expect to learn Arabic - the local dialect and/or standard - I can already get by quite well in French.

I lived and worked in the Fes medina for three months--Jan. thru April -- this year. I also took two dogs, Papillions, and was afraid the Muslim culture would not welcome me -- a single American woman and two dogs who lived with her!  But the opposite was true: the dogs opened up a bridge between me and the Fassis and they were very welcoming and accepting. I do think that Morocco, for the most part, is more open-minded and secular than other areas of the MIddle East (or what I read about).  Make sure your house is solid and won't fall down around your ears as mine did. I was completely misled in my rental by a fellow New York filmmaker who half finished the place and then left and rented it out to unsuspecting Americans. Both the dogs and I were almost killed by the house! It very inexpensive to live there if you shop in the wonderfully fresh markets and cook. I didn't have a car -- depended on Petit taxis (cheap) and donkeys :-)

I have been in fes 14 months now,other city are more cosmopotilans.fes is very moroccans place,i lived in other places and found it very lonely,in fes it is very easy to make freinds,prices for a decent furnished apartment are from 5000dh t0 8000dh pm,you can get cheaper away from the centre.there are flights to europe from fes airport(price not to bad)

Thanks for the messages! This is very encouraging, even with the warnings about possible problems. I'm assuming there will be major hiccups along the way, of course. It's a big step!

While you are living in Fez you will be in the North Central part of the country, which makes for easy access to Casa, Rabat, Meknes, Marrakech.  From Fez you also have easy access to the Atlas Mountains, which are about 15 miles away in Ifrane.  But, mostly to Europe via Tangier.  There is a cheap hotel near the pier (sorry I can't remember the name)where I always rent a room for about a week(although I don't sleep there)just to park my car in their garage, after which I hop on the ferry and 35 minutes later I'm in Europe (Southern Spain). My car (and cars far more expensive than mine)is always secure and given good care.  So, Fez (which is the religious and cultural center of Morocco)is a good, quiet place to live. I think you'll be happy in Fez.

Oh, yes, one more thing.  For an additional fare the ferry will take you to not only Spain, but to France, Italy, etc. along the Mediterranean coast.

Thanks! Man, this information is giving me a serious yen to move there...!

hi there abrooks just wondering after reading your blogs as to whether you have re-located to Fes...I too am considering the possibility...:)

Hello evybody, my name is Simo, i'm from fes, and i'm love with this beautiful city, i lived for 4 years in tanger, and 2 years in Tanger, but Fes is the best, when you are in the medina, you have the feeling that you come back ontime, that like you are living in the 10th century, and the people there are very frendly, hope you are enjoing your time in Fes

thank you blacasimo for your email...it is very encouraging to get your feedback

Hello Everyone, I recently moved to Fes and wanted to meet some Expats in the area. I am here studying Arabic and will hopefully learn some Darija as well. If you all have ideas about things to do in the city, I would love to hear it! I am also interested in a language exchange (English-Darija) if you know of any opportunities for this. Thanks so much!

Dear all, I'll tell you my story: back in 2006 I bought a house in Fez through internet, without coming here or having ever visited Morocco, just saw 3 pictures and knew it was my house, and when I first landen in the city I felt at home. Turned out the craziest thing I did in life was also the wisest. Of course I had no strings to a normal life, no married, no job, no dogs and no property elsewhere. But somehow it made sense. Now I'm still living in Fez, very happily, made plenty of friends, opened a business in the Medina (little restaurant) and I know I am where I want to be. Sure there were dark moments, times when you wanted to kill just about everyone from the plumber to the Bacha -kind of Mayor of the medina-, but the general feeling is that is a very welcoming country, with plenty of people willing to help you if your ideas make sense -and dont go against their religion, opinions or their incomes-. Food is amazing and that's very important for an italian like me. Then is not Marrakech or Casa, but is far cheaper and you can go there and have fun when you want, after you will be glad to go back to your beloved Fez, Fez the quiet, Fez the solemn, boring Fez sometimes. And if you want you can have lovely weekends abroad in London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Milano, Marseille, Frankfort...shall I continue? I'd say Fez is a truly gem but more than that is a city with a soul. And as long as you have good friends, good wine and a beautiful girl or two...what else could you possibly want from life?
For all the people in search of good info I write a web about Fez, fezguide.com
dont hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance
s.

Hi adampatch, welcome on the forum! :)

Thank you for your contribution.