Newbie - Very Interested in living in Panama

Howdy!  From the Texas Hill Country.  My husband is semi semi retired and will be getting his social security soon he will be 61 in Nov. I am 14 years younger and have been running our family business for the last 14 years and we are both burned out and ready to do something different.  I was an A.F. Brat in my early life and moved ALOT!!! 11 schools in 12 years, I think that I could live in a foreign country... lived in Japan and Germany.....  But understand the cost of living there is now crazy....  Would love to hear from people that have lived in Panama for a while to give me an idea of what to expect.  I don't want a lavish lifestyle.  I would like to continue my glass artistry and maybe get some distribution.  I love to cook and was thinking of a personal chef service and maybe even a B&B.  The one thing that I want from a home is a couple of bathrooms .... ac a view and a place to have a glass studio.  My husband wants to not have neighbors on top of us.  We have 2.5 acres now but I also want to be close to people that could be friends.  Talk to you soon!  Debby

Debby,
Since 1997 Panama has been a great destination for expats, retirees and pensionados. There are growing, if not firmly established, expat communities in Boquete, Pedasi and Coronado. The entire country has construction currently happening and there are communities sprouting up everywhere.
It would be quite easy to everything you want or desire here in Panama. I would check out www.panamareport.com, the US embassy website and just start thinking about what sort of climate/topography do you want.
Mountains and cooler (Boquete) Beachside and flat (Pedasi) very close to Panama City for first world metropolitan desires (Coronado)
We moved down here 5 years ago from Texas and started our own business. We are raising two kids and loving the area, the people and the lifestyle. We have visited and lived in several places, but settled on the Western Azuero, as we saw an opportunity and are taking advantage of it. Great mountains, commanding coastlines and some great locals and internationals live here as well.

Most important thing, do you research and enjoy it. Then visit, visit, visit, that will be the best thing. You will find what you are looking for!

best of luck

Thanks so much for your reply...  We are thinking about selling our Jan-san business our house and going for it after a visit of several months.....  We want to get out of the heat so Boquet is where I am thinking close to the water but up high enough.  Last summer was a killer.  I got another reply that said that if I was living in TX  then I couldn't live any cheaper there than here....  but our property taxes have doubled in the last 2 years and will probably continue.  My husband wants to be close enough to the beach that he could drive down a couple of times a week and soak in the sun so ....  another reason we are thinking of boquet.  We live between Austin and San Antonio and go there so very seldom we wouldn't miss the big city life except for Costco but there is one there I understand.... Yipee for me that is where we do the majority of our shopping.  Thanks for helping out will check out your site... Debby

Debby.

You should came visit Volcan, that is at about 1hour from the beach, and in the mountains. Here live a lot  expat too, and the good thing is that Volcan the land and the restaurants is much sheapper that is at Boquete.. You  can get a rent for 6 months or 1 year..and travel..to see what are you looking for.
Regards,
Liane kraemer

Thanks Liane -  it sounds beautiful.  What about the Volcano...When we went to CR and looked up by Arenal we were a little concerned about the possibilities.  I really appreciate you taking the time to email.  Thanks Deb

Hi Debbie,   You're not alone in looking o make a change.  I moved to Panama in 2003, and haven't looks back - well, I visit my kids, but they come here too.

I stared in Costa Rica in 2001,  but found hat it was NOT what people say....and left after 2 1/2 years.  Panama is safe, has good infrastructure, and it is not too late at all to make a good investment.  The best way to do this is to buy some titled land in a growing area.  Then, rent a home, and get a reliable person o manage your home construction FOR you.  You do NOT want to do that yourself, as it will be a headache. You can get a good house built for about $40-$50 per square foot if you do things correctly. I sold my house in massachusetts in 2003 and started doing small private developments in Boquete, Panama where there is a large expat community.  Our lots sell fo $39 k for a nivce 1/2 acre lot with all utilities.  We have a sister company that manages building contracts for people.  It;s been 7 years and I'm not really ahead of the game,  but I have made a living  We sell our land too inexpensively - this is part of the problem, but our clients are all happy, and I feel good about this. Let me know if you have questions about Panama - that I can help you with    Good Luck and best regards Tim in Boquete

hello, want to spend the second half of my life in panama. could someone please recomend an agency that will guide me through the red tape? i was there a few years ago to scope it out and really liked boquete, didnt see volcan, but i can be flexable,

I would agree wholeheartedly with 'panamacoastproperty'...and when you visit got to the Azueros Peninsula for sure...it rocks! :)