Registering your apartment with the local police

Hello, I just moved into an apartment in a large building (OSC) in Vung Tau. The apartment is privately owned. OSC told me they are not responsible for registering me with the police and that the owner would have to open a new company for me to register at this address.

Does anyone know what it takes to open this type of company and what is the cost?

Thank you

lostvietdreamer wrote:

Hello, I just moved into an apartment in a large building (OSC) in Vung Tau. The apartment is privately owned. OSC told me they are not responsible for registering me with the police and that the owner would have to open a new company for me to register at this address.

Does anyone know what it takes to open this type of company and what is the cost?

Thank you

It's the owners responsibility to register you and their responsibility to pay any fines for failing to do so. Don't let them try and shake you down.

Your owner seem un- reponsilibity , the rules: owner and  you must go to the police office to fill in the forum by the police giving after the rent contract sing up. The owner bring business license, you bring your pass port have visa and ( maybe working contract if u...) other way both of you getting trouble with the police when they check it out.
Believe me,  I did a lot things to helping my housing customers

OSC building is located in 1st ward, I know many local polices there ; So if you need help, feel free to contact me . ;-)

The registration will need:
1. Your visa
2. Your passport
3. Lessor's foreigner registration book

But the registration is your lessor's responsibility.

Sincerely,

I always prefer to do my own registrations - they are a breeze, as complicated as a hotel registration (which the form actually is) - as I know it has been done.

For this the OWNER will have to produce copies of several documents - one of which has the buildings purchase price on it. (For your info)

Different Phuongs/Wards, different practices. Some want to SEE/VIEW the documents others want to KEEP photocopies of documents.

REGISTRATION IS FREE (Registration book not) so don't get ripped. Don't pay anyone.

And get the cable TV on your OWN NAME, as well as the InterNet (very easy just take your passport and visa to office). I always cancel cable TV when I move in (condo used as office) and I INSIST, forcibly, for a $00.00 invoice which means their computer knows.

Forget about electricity (EVN) they are simply stunned. Just pay whatever they ask for - GET/KEEP RECEIPT.

Pay your InterNet one month in arrears - VNPT has a terrible billing system. Carriers only know when you have NO SERVICE when your modem is powered down.

Return the modem to payments office and GET RECEIPT.

P.S. The Cong An often come around and do body counts in apartments - just don't answer the door when they come.

Agree with Jaitch.
Even though it's the responsibility of the landlord to register their tenants in the ward police registry, you were wrong  :) (know your rights before rent/buy)
You should ask before you pay deposit or any sort of advance rent  :)
If you decided to stay there for a long time, better keep a good relationship with your landlord and register yourself.
Just take your Passport with stamped visa or and TRC, if any. The process is simple. You don't need to pay anything for that.

Agree, my guess is the "owner" does not have the permit to rent to a foreigner. Maybe they are not the owner., just trying to sublease.  Also make sure you don't pay anyone anything until the lease is signed at the notary office.  Even after being assured by the notary office that everything (my visa etc, owner docs) was in order ,I was still prevented from being registered.  Police wanted coffee money. Huh.( I offered to pay) then  They told me my passport was "no good" , which was bullshit.  But, after calling my Embassy and a Law firm they soon ran away. Usually just the mention of an Embassy or Lawyer will scare them off.   Alls good. Make sure if they say there's some bullshit problem, they put it in writing on a Govt letterhead, and tell them your Lawyer will be in contact. If they are bullshitting you, they won't proceed with their silly games and move on to an easier target.  Remember, these people need your money ,more than you need them. There is a lot of vacant property in this country.

Yogi007 wrote:

... Police wanted coffee money. Huh.( I offered to pay) then  They told me my passport was "no good" , which was bullshit.  ...

You should have simply gone to the District Cong An office, they would have fixed it.

Jaitch wrote:

I always prefer to do my own registrations - they are a breeze, as complicated as a hotel registration (which the form actually is) - as I know it has been done.

For this the OWNER will have to produce copies of several documents - one of which has the buildings purchase price on it. (For your info)

Different Phuongs/Wards, different practices. Some want to SEE/VIEW the documents others want to KEEP photocopies of documents.

REGISTRATION IS FREE (Registration book not) so don't get ripped. Don't pay anyone.

And get the cable TV on your OWN NAME, as well as the InterNet (very easy just take your passport and visa to office). I always cancel cable TV when I move in (condo used as office) and I INSIST, forcibly, for a $00.00 invoice which means their computer knows.

Forget about electricity (EVN) they are simply stunned. Just pay whatever they ask for - GET/KEEP RECEIPT.

Pay your InterNet one month in arrears - VNPT has a terrible billing system. Carriers only know when you have NO SERVICE when your modem is powered down.

Return the modem to payments office and GET RECEIPT.

P.S. The Cong An often come around and do body counts in apartments - just don't answer the door when they come.

Sage advice old son.
You do well with helping those who search for it.

And now for a dream--

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/8e/ed/4e/8eed4ef32448d2e581b2e381da28a3db.jpg

Being a Vietnamese, I'm so sorry for the bad images of our Police ( Cong An ). :(

We, ordinary people are always welcome foreigners to visit our country. However, the Police seem to make it difficult or always try to get money from you or from the services related foreigners.
It is a .... fact that I have to pay them "coffee-money" every time I make registrations for my guests. If I did't, they would find some errors to fine us, or would visit our hotel every week to check for unregistered guests.

:sosad:

zanchun wrote:

It is a .... fact that I have to pay them "coffee-money" every time I make registrations for my guests. If I didn't, they would find some errors to fine us, or would visit our hotel every week to check for unregistered guests.

I have never been asked to pay the Cong An for any service.

My wife's two hotels have signs in reception, with a Cong An badge, that say: "No bribes paid unless authorised, in writing, by your unit commander".

For some reason no one has never asked for a bribe. And they have never hassled us, either.

Maybe they fell ashamed when seeing signs at your wife hotels and don't dare to ask for a bribe.   :D

lostvietdreamer wrote:

Thank you

this problem you can ask Ms. Suji Trần : 0933 63 73 53
She is in charge of registration of temporary residence for foreigners in Vung Tau .