Opening a bank account for an internship?

Hello guys! I came here to ask you a few questions about banks in Malta.

I am going to carry out an internship in Sliema from April 1st and I'm staying in Malta 6 months. As my internship is paid, and as my bank where I live practices high prices for those who want to withdraw cash abroad, I would like to open a bank account when I arrive to make things easier. So my questions are:
- Is it necessary for a 6-month stay or should I just use my own bank account (I am French so the currency is the same)?
- Will my employers need bank account details from a local bank? Do companies in Malta usually pay by cheque or by transfer?
- If I decide to open a bank account, as a non-Maltese but as a EU citizen, what papers would I need? Is it a long process?

I should mention that I am still in France right now and am planning to come at the end of March (can't come earlier).

These are a lot of questions, and I hope it wasn't too long! Thanks in advance to those who will answer ^^

Have you thought of asking your employer to pay you in cash?

Not sure if a Maltese bank will open an account for a non resident for just six months but you may be able to open  an offshore account with  a Maltese bank from France .
You could then use it whilst in Malta.

Terry