Working, childcare and family life!!

Hi husband in Tripoli at moment working, family back home in a very wet Scotland.  We would like to relocate but not sure where child care and things sit.  I would like to work, Construction PM so likely to be longish hours.  We lived in Dubai before very easy as had a live in maid who took care of any unusual school run or shortfall in day care and indeed the house.  Having searched the forum it seems that a gate boy tends to be employed in Libya, can any of you working mums or dads please give me some feedback on schools/afterschool clubs/day care - how do you manage?  Little girl is six.  Many thanks :)

Welcome on board of Expat.com, scotsstar :)

scotsstar wrote:

Hi husband in Tripoli at moment working, family back home in a very wet Scotland.  We would like to relocate but not sure where child care and things sit.  I would like to work, Construction PM so likely to be longish hours.  We lived in Dubai before very easy as had a live in maid who took care of any unusual school run or shortfall in day care and indeed the house.  Having searched the forum it seems that a gate boy tends to be employed in Libya, can any of you working mums or dads please give me some feedback on schools/afterschool clubs/day care - how do you manage?  Little girl is six.  Many thanks :)

Welcome aboard fellow 'Auld Reekie' dweller, we have no kids but are friends with an Edinburgh lass that does have children, drop me a pm and my wife (LSscotland) and I are more than willing to help out any way we can. Oh aye granite city resident for 27 years, but still a Hibee through and through.

cheers, good to see many fellow scots out there!!! 
Have sent link to hubby, hopefully if you are up for it he could give you a bell and bend your ear (is that to broad, have you been away too long,lol)  Not sure what you mean by pm -I.T. speak?????

scotsstar wrote:

cheers, good to see many fellow scots out there!!! 
Have sent link to hubby, hopefully if you are up for it he could give you a bell and bend your ear (is that to broad, have you been away too long,lol)  Not sure what you mean by pm -I.T. speak?????

No problems at all, click on my username, and then you get the option to send a private message, stuff like mobile numbers etc are best kept off the main board. I will send you a PM and you or your hubby can get in contact if you like. Loads of Scots out here, a Scottish (mainly Aberdeen) 5 a side team are playing in a tournament this Friday (football in case you haven't guessed !!).

Cheers.

Hello fellow Scots lady,
School for your little one would finish around 3 and the schools offer a bus service to drop her off 2 your house.  Live in maids are an option or there's many Ghanians that would work daily eg 7-6pm. Live in maids can be difficult 2 find and not so many are English speaking....it is possible though to get maids from Phillipines although paperwork etc can be a bit tricky.  There isn't really aftercare at the schools here as far as I know.
Hope that's of some help.