Moving to Muscat, Oman

Hi there, we are a small Indian family of 3 having a daughter 2.5 years. We would be moving to Muscat shortly therefore I thought of taking some advise before we move there.
We live in Sharjah, UAE and moving to Muscat, Oman. How is the culture and life in Muscat.
Do women get jobs easily, I am a HR generalist and would like to work. Are there any restrictions on women to work in Oman. We are also looking for a 1 BHK in Ruwi could someone let me know what are the rents there.

Hey Calcy,

I am also from Sharjah...and I came 5 months back here in Muscat. Its almost same in terms of living expenditure.

Muscat in more family oriented and not advance like Dubai. Rents are also same...infact I find it 2-4% more as compare. 1bhk in Ruwi with be around AED 30k...

Females may find job...but not as easily as in UAE.

Cheerz

Calcy wrote:

Hi there, we are a small Indian family of 3 having a daughter 2.5 years. We would be moving to Muscat shortly therefore I thought of taking some advise before we move there.
We live in Sharjah, UAE and moving to Muscat, Oman. How is the culture and life in Muscat.
Do women get jobs easily, I am a HR generalist and would like to work. Are there any restrictions on women to work in Oman. We are also looking for a 1 BHK in Ruwi could someone let me know what are the rents there.

Hello !

Muscat is very family friendly. More so if you live in and around where Indian expatriates typically reside - areas such as Darsait, Ruwi, Al Falaj Area, Mumtaz Area, Wadi Kabir and even Al Khuwair.

Getting a job for you would be really very difficult - really very difficult. Yes, there is a ban on employing women for a certain period of time. Check the various other posts in the forum on that subject for more details and information.

A 1BHK flat in Ruwi could cost you in the region of R.O. 150/- to R.O 250/- depending on its age and condition of the apartment.

Good luck.

Hi There,

Besides HR jobs I would be open to any desk jobs also since I know jobs are difficult to get especially for women. I would like to work rather than be a housewife. Any suggestions on how I can apply for job postings if any available. I would also like to know about the culture in Muscat. Can women go shopping etc in public or is there a restriction.

I would also like to know an aprox expenses for a small family of 3 like rent for 1 bhk, eletricity, water, gas, internet, etc. I have a child 2.5 years and she would be going to a nursery soon.

My husband gets aprox 900 OMR, will this be enough to run expenses every month and save some money.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

The reality is jobs for expatriate women have been put on hold temporarily by the Ministry of Manpower. By when this rule would be revoked is anybody's guess. However, keep your eyes open for any opportunities through the few English newspapers and the tabloids. If you are lucky you just might find a suitable job.

Muscat is a very cosmopolitan city. There are very large numbers of Indian / South-Indian expatriates living here. Women can go by themselves anywhere. Though safe, it is better to be avoided since a single woman would attract a lot of unwanted attention.

Details of the cost of living have been discussed in detail in the forum. You have to scan through those numerous posts to get a very good idea about house rents, utility bills, et al. School admissions for YB1 and YB2 will not be much of a problem. But Ist standard admissions to any of the Indian Schools would be a nightmare.

R.O. 900/- as an all-inclusive package is not really much. But a small family can manage with that.

Best wishes.

Living costs are much lower in Muscat than Dubai. For an Indian family of 3, salary of 900 OMR is decent unless you are not someone who looks for spending most time outdoors.
1BHK you should get a decent one for 150 to 200 OMR. Gas, electricity, water about 35 RO. Internet unlimited 20 RO.
Muscat is a pleasant, peaceful and nice place to live in. I would agree with comment made by a member above that single woman especially walking on the street would attract unwanted attention. Its perfectly OK in malls and shopping centers though. Single women traveling alone in a local taxi is also not recommended.
Finding a job might not be easy especially with the drive on Omanisation and the complete restriction on clearances for expat women. HR background would not help either as Omanisation in HR area is almost 100%.
The best way to find a job over here is to place an advertisement highlighting your skill in Times Of Oman. This was something that was very effective in the past, although less effective presently in view of Omanisation.
I would still say with 900 OMR you would be able to live a better quality of life in Muscat than in Sharjah. So in my view go ahead and make the move, you wouldn't regret it.
Good luck.

Hi all,

i need your advise as i have once job offer in Retail Sector as a Store Manager for 700/OMR. with Medical and Yearly Vacatrion recently i am working in KSA- Jeddah and have almost 9 years of Retail Experience with Education MBA-HR.

Can anybody help me about salary structure is it ok or less.