Health Care Insurance for Expats

My wife and I will be visiting Koh Samui for a few weeks in April specifically to see if we would be comfortable retiring there either the year-round or splitting time between Samui and Chiang Mai.  I have good information on costs for most everything except for health insurance.  Since neither of us are Thai (both are American citizens), I assume it best if we purchase health insurance.  I have info from the internet that implies if we are granted a particular visa, then we would be eligible for national Thai health insurance, but I also have other info implying we need to purchase "expat" health insurance with monthly costs of $500 ~ $800 +/- which would be a deal killer about retiring there.  Would one of you "expats" advise me how you are handling the health insurance issue and give me a better idea of actual monthly costs????

Best Regards,

rdmtulsa

I have seen an advertisement for expat insurance company name is Cigna on this forum.  I have no experience with
this company but I deal with IMG expat insurance.  Gold Plus coverage is about $2600.00 annual.
Coverage for medical/life etc.  you can check out their website. Full name is International Medical Group. You can choose what ever coverage you like and your deductible as well.  You do have to fill out some forms to initially get it but most companies this is required anyway.

I don't know of any Thailand company that sells medical insurance but would be interested in finding out if you have some information you would like to share.

Thanks for lead with Cigna.  Their annual premiums seem a little high to me.  I have made contact with an insurer located in BKK as follows:

Khun Chalach Mahachalalai
Sales Director

BSI BROKER (THAILAND) LIMITED
399 Level 32, Interchange 21, Sukhumvit Road,
North Klongtoey, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
Tel :(662) 660-3633  Fax:(662) 660-3881
Mobile Phone:  092-261-5636

While I know of Khun Mahachalalai, he has quoted relatively competitive health insurance rates.  I suggest you contact him to see what he can offer you.

Best Regards,

rdmtulsa

Thank you for the info.  Sorry I wasn't much help in return.
Best of luck to you

No problem.  Hopefully if / when you contact Khun Chalach Mahachalalai, he can offer you more competitive health insurance.

Best Regards,

rdmtulsa

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory]

Google "BUPA Thailand" and check options they offer.  I have in-patient coverage only and it cost just over 30k baht a year for my age.  The cost will vary with age just like the USA.

Insurance pretty cheap here.

There is a very strong possibility that I misunderstood about health insurance but I thought I read  somewhere that you can not get health coverage after you hit 80 years old. I am a number of years from being that old but if I make it to that age , is that something I have to be worried about? In the States, I would at least have Medicare and I could purchase additional coverage , if I choose to. What has me concerned is the possibility of not being insured at that age. Most people need additional medical treatment at that age .  Again, I might have some incorrect information so I would appreciate more or correct information