Gated communties VS private owned

I am sure there are Pros and Cons to this subject. I am all ears. lol

I have lived in both.  Gated communities are generally a bit safer (guards will still let in anyone who gives them a valid name and address in the community) and the landscaping is generally pretty much the same throughout, but the homeowners associations with gated communities are a downright pain in the southern regions!  Private is less secure (unless you wall it off and install a great security system), but if you are going to live in Belize to get away from government interference, this is the way to go because you get to make all the decisions about what will or won't be allowed (up to the point where your neighbors begin complaining about what you are doing)!

Hmmmmm, would you live in a gated community in the USA? I can't imagine moving/relocating to another country to live in a gated community of North Americans. Just look for a good community or condo to live in or near a relatively safe community of all kinds of people.
my 2 cents

Hi,

In a community of expats there is less of a culture shock (there will be a shock, you know?).
Amenities, such as a swimming pool, maintained roads, docks, resort type restaurants are good things to have.
Security/safety guaranteed. Big selling point for most. Restrictions are more than they should be, and they really are the party poopers.

When building/buying a house on private land, you have many choices. You can chose where to live. What house to buy or build. Who your neighbors are. You will have total freedom of what to do. You don't even have to follow the codes if building on your land (they are introducing codes within city limits now).
It will cost you less, if you do your research thoroughly. Even if you don't do your research, it will probably cost you less. If you bargain with the vendor, you will pay less. There is little bargaining when buying in a community.

Ultimately, it's HOW you want to live in Belize. Quietly, "top of the morning to you too", get what you pay for, feeling secure. All problems are one phone call away from solution... A lot of people are happy to live like that and who's to blame them? But, if you want to build something you've always wanted, a dream house made of straw bale or car tires. live in a community with values, other than you're used to, with a different lifestyle, learn something every day (not pleasant at times), then go for it. Listen to your heart, make the choice, then start working on the implementation. Have fun!

P.S.
Many people here bash Sanctuary Belize and they probably have their reasons. I've been there a couple of months back and the place looks really attractive. They've built a new swimming pool and the restaurant must be open by now, all by the sea... Marina almost ready. Houses are impressive. Stylish and modern.
However, residents don't like the distance from the "civilization". 35 miles to Dangriga and 35 to Placencia (don't quote me, these are approximate numbers, may be more, may be less). Nearest Chinese store is about 10 miles away. When you pay top dollar for a piece of paradise, you expect a grocery shop close by, not only the sea.

Look around, if you want to go the gated community route. There may be new ones coming, as it looks like many people like this model.

Very useful posting with good info.