Hurghada forum

The new Hurghada forum is now online :)

Great to find you. Hoped there would be something like this for Hurghada. Can someone can tell me where to find a bazaar or market in downtown Hurghada to shop for fresh fish, vegetables and fruit, instead of supermarkets? And where I can find a fitness centre?
Thanks.

LAVALLA wrote:

Great to find you. Hoped there would be something like this for Hurghada. Can someone can tell me where to find a bazaar or market in downtown Hurghada to shop for fresh fish, vegetables and fruit, instead of supermarkets? And where I can find a fitness centre?
Thanks.

Dahar has a great fruit market, but you have to get there earlier in the morning otherwise te fruit and veggies will have been sitting out for a while! Shara Central also has some nice fruit and veggie stands, I live close to there so that is where I go and get my produce.

As for gyms as a female I don't like going to the smaller one man show gym, I go to work out not to be stared at or watch people pump iron :S But the hotels have some great gyms. :)

Do you know the Egyptian Government Shop in Dahar? (the building with the letters E P S on the side?) The market is behind it. You can ask for: "al sou(q) fin"? "where is the market?"
The market is open early in the morning till late in the evening.

Thanks for the information will recce these two suggestions and check out hotel gyms for non-resident membership.

hi does anyone know where any american hang out? lol i have not seen any at all. at this point any friends would be appreciated. just wondering. lol :-)

Hi people i will be coming to Hurghada to live this year and will be bringing my toy poodle with me.. I have a few concerns about the change in climate etc. Can anyone advice.

Thanks
Sandra

When are you moving Sandra? I would advise against moving in the summer for your dogs sake.

Also, most airlines will have temperature restrictions. Past March in Cairo it may get too hot unless you're on an early AM flight, which means you'll be waiting until October for the temperature to drop within acceptable range again.

Hi.. thankyou for replying.  I was hoping to move to Hurghada preferably later on this year... dependent on selling my house here in England.

I know it really isn't practical to bring my dog to such a hot country.. but i really can't leave him behind.. but i do have concerns with him coping in a much warmer counry.

Regards
Sandra

The dog should finally acclimatise, but only if the poodle fur is cut short all over. Some kind owners will have their dog's stomach shaved between the back of the front paws to the hind quarters so that when lying down the cool tiles help reduce temperature. Most owners, and I'm sure this includes you, know that a panting dog is cooling itself down, it is not distressed. Because they don't sweat, it is the only way they can reduce their temperature.

Lots of water and shade, not venturing out after 11am or before 4pm during the summer months and swimming in the sea, will help you as well as your dog.

Good luck

This winter has been rather chilly in Hurghada. 11 degrees at night and 20 during the day, with a few showers

In the end the very hot months are June, July and August.

Thankyou for your advice.. I suppose it's just commonsence really .. I had already thought to keep his fur really short once there.

Sandra

Hello Layla13! I am from America and just moved to hurghada with my wife and children. We are looking to make new friends also. Right now we have met a few nice Egyptian people, but there are not too many Americans that live here. One guy I know, he said that I am the first American he ever met living here.

Hello and congratulations for trying out Hurghada.  I have friends that moved there from Delaware and have been trying to get me to do the same.  It is a bit scary at first to think of because I am an empty nester and divorced. 

Please share with me your thoughts about my concerns from your point of view; I would really appreciate any thoughts.  I do work from home as a consultant so; I would basically need to have a 2 br for visitors; and office area; and be no more than about 2500LE per month in rent of a flat or a villa or a penthouse.

Thanks for your time.

MillenniumProphecy2013

Geesh it gets cold in Egypt?  Wow who'd thunk it?  LOL

Hello MillenniumProphecy2013,

I know a real estate person in Hurghada. I also know some web sites that you can look on to find apartments/flats. DO you know of a time frame that you will be coming here?

It does not get that cold here. If you are from New York, cold here is like fall weather. Right now it is a little chilly in the morning and night time, but the days are nice and breezy.

Thank you for your reply.  I am considering a few months if all things considered fall into place as planned such as finding a place shipping costs and flight are doable, Internet service and phone service, Visa application etc

Ok I can handle a New York Fall weather. Lol

Please share real estate links to my inbox so that I can see it in my email to explore.

Are there any African American people there?  I know of a family that moved from Delaware. We speak often. They are also looking for the mixed cultural scene to include oir culture.