Animal Breeders

I wonder if this is a case of not being specific enough and being very much open to interpretation but it may affect some here...................

From ToM yesterday:

There could be a surge of pets dumped into the countryside in the coming months as a result of new regulations that make no provision for hobby breeders.
A group of about 40 breeders of different species, including birds, dogs and reptiles, yesterday met to discuss the new pet shop rules that come into force on April 2. They insist that the regulations do not make sense in the case of private breeders and could lead some to “go underground” or dump animals in the countryside.
The new legal notice, introducing changes to provisions of the Animal Welfare Act of 2002, is meant to regulate the sector for the benefit of the animals, laying down minimum specifications for cages and enclosures for traded animals, for instance.
If you know there is a snake running about, call us and we will take care of it for, otherwise, it would not survive
But breeders are worried because the rules make no distinction between commercial pet shops and hobby breeders who occasionally sell the offspring of their animals.
The new provisions would make life for them far too onerous, the hobby breeders said.
According to the law, “any premises or holdings where animals are on sale to the public, or premises or holdings where animals are kept with the intention of being offered for sale also through adverts or electronic systems” need to apply for a licence from the Director for Veterinary Services and meet a series of demands intended for commercial outfits under the law.
“This means that if, as a breeder, you are going to sell your excess offspring, or advertise online to trade it, you need to apply for a licence, obtain a level three qualification in a relevant course, which is not yet available for all animal species, have a vet certify mortalities if 10 per cent of your animals die and employ safety precautions,” Chris McGowan, one of the Malta Herpetological Society founders, told those attending the meeting.
Some of those present asked whether they would have to start operating like a commercial entity, keeping books and paying commercial rates for electricity.
Mr McGowan has, for the past year, been enquiring about the new regulations. Among other reasons, the group was set up to raise awareness about the responsible ownership of reptiles and amphibians, caging standards, escape-prevention protocols and control of alien species.
Breeders sometimes have an overstock and sell some of the new hatchlings or newborns. They were not likely to register as pet shops and so have to make the alterations demanded by the new law, so, come April, some would have to either sell the overstock through the black market or set them free, Mr McGowan said. That would introduce alien species to the environment, he warned.
Another option would be to give the animals to pet shops against payment when they were sold.
However, this meant prices would rise because both the breeder and the shop owner would expect a profit, he added.
“We are very much against the release of animals in the environment. If you cannot take care of it, contact us and we'll take care of it. We don't want alien species.”
He noted that breeders took great care of their animals because it was their passion. However, regulations governing hobby breeders should be distinct from pet shop rules.
Mr McGowan called on all breeders that formed part of different animal organisations to join forces and voice their concerns facebook.com/groups/BreedersMalta/.

There are a series of animal related legal notices coming into force on 2nd April covering

pet shops (the one mentioned above)
sanctuaries
vets
boarding kennels

... oh, misunderstanding ...  :unsure

matm911 wrote:

Mabe that's a good step to reduce the massive incestuous breeding activities here in Malta.

this is about animals, not humans

I agree it is about the welfare of animals to a certain degree. But i can tell you from experience here in australia that it is also about money. If the maltese let this legislation go though they will be very sorry they did!

danno wrote:

I agree it is about the welfare of animals to a certain degree. But i can tell you from experience here in australia that it is also about money. If the maltese let this legislation go though they will be very sorry they did!

If it doesn't go through it will be the animals that will  be sorry!

Even if it does happen it will not be enforced, just like 99% of all the legislation in Malta.

Terry

I have relatives and many friends in malta that keep and breed animals, from what i have seen personally they love and look after their animals as if they were part of the family. I'm not saying there isn't any cruel people over there, cruel people are all over the world. The problem i have about introducing legislation like this is every animal breeder will be persecuted.

Its gone through - this is a legal notice. However, the ministry is disputing the article saying it only applies to pet shops, but having read the LN I'm fairly sure the times is right and the ministry is wrong

danno wrote:

I have relatives and many friends in malta that keep and breed animals, from what i have seen personally they love and look after their animals as if they were part of the family. I'm not saying there isn't any cruel people over there, cruel people are all over the world. The problem i have about introducing legislation like this is every animal breeder will be persecuted.

I don't think anyone is "persecuted" in Malta and I don't see anything wrong in setting minimum standards for animal welfare or ensuring people who make a money or a living out of breeding animals are subject to those minimum  standards.
Keeping horses in garages and chickens in garages with no natural light, dogs in small cages or chained up all day.
That's more the "norm" in Malta and I see it every day.
If you are a true animal lover  than what have you got to worry about?

Terry