Homolagação de Sentença Estrangeira (Recognizing foreign Judgments)

Hey everyone, my name is Jocelyn and I am relatively new to the blog. I am trying to get my permanent visa and ran into a bump in the road. Brazil recognizes marriages abroad but not divorces. Therefore I now have to find a lawyer and go through a process to have a judge in the Superior Tribunal de Justiça (STJ) authorize the divorce papers from the judge here before i can register my marriage at the Consulate here in the US and proceed to get my permanent visa. My question is can anyone recommend a lawyer possibly in or around Brasilia that specializes in this type of service? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you all so much in advance!

Hi Jocelyn,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

First of all, on behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope that your experience here on the blog will be both enjoyable and informative.

Strange that a previous divorce in the USA would even enter into the equation since you couldn't have been granted a Marriage License and legally married a second time around if there was such an impediment as a previous marriage that hadn't first been disolved judicially. But, that's Brazil and the absurd bureaucracy in this country. Anything to pry a few extra reais out of us gringos(as).

At any rate, by law any lawyer in Brazil that is experienced in immigration laws can represent you in this matter. It does not necessarily need to be a lawyer in or around Brasília. If you want a recommendation of a top-notch immigration lawyer, that speaks English fluently since he resided in the USA for many years I have a friend here in Macaé - RJ that fits the bill perfectly. Just say the word and I will send you his name and e-mail in a private message.

PS. you'll have to participate a bit in the forums to "activate" your private message privileges, post a few more threads or reply to a few more postings and that will unlock your mailboxes.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

This is actually for my partner. She needs to get the divorce as she is a brazilian citizen. Once she gets the final judgement from the judge in brazil we can proceed to register our marriage at the consulate. It was explained to me that brazil recognizes foreign marriages but because of the complex legality of divorce and the difference of laws for property, children, alimony, etc. they do not recognize the divorce at face value. A judge at the STJ has to "agree" with the american judges decision and then  brazilian divorce papers are issued which are needed to prove that she is no longer married. Even though we are legally married here in the US

Ok, that's a completely different ball of wax. The way you described the situation it appeared that you were talking about YOUR divorce of a previous US marriage and not your partner's US divorce. At any rate, if you need a lawyer just say the word.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Yes we are currently looking for a lawyer. Preferably in Brasilia because that is where the lawyer is going to have to travel to submit the papers. We are currently looking at a law firm Humberto Oliveira Advogados. As they seem to have the best price and are located in the DF. If you have any information on this law firm or any other lawyer that would charge a reasonable price please let me know. Any feedback would be extremely helpful as finding a lawyer in Brazil from the US is not easy.