Dominican Republic Retirement Program

I have a practice in DR, but at the moment my partner is running it, I'm in New York legalizing Dominicans and helping Americans move to DR. i will be back in DR soon though, wife does not like the weather here.
I do not recommend you do it on your own. It is not a complicated process, I can tell you that a complicated thing is sending a rocket to the moon. I assure you this is not rocket science, but you still have to write some legal documents, like the claim of your nationality, you would at least need someone to draft this for you in legal Spanish.
A lawyer can also help you prepare for the nationality test. It's simple, still if you have no idea about basic Dominican history you will not pass.
I remember waiting with my client for the interview a Chinese gentleman who married a Dominican lady coming out of the interview yelling at his lawyer  that he wants his citizenship, They lawyer said  if you don't know who Juan Pablo Duarte is, and why we celebrate the 27th of February,they can't approve it.  His citizenship was not rejected though they simply told him to come back in two weeks knowing the answer to a few questions and his citizenship will be approved.   
Getting the right help will save you a lot of time.

immigrationexpertsdr wrote:

At the moment I'm working at a Law Firm in NY, working on Dominican and American residency, but I'm back to run the DR office around august, We'll get in touch when I;m in DR, planner.
I mean I'm married, we'll discuss other things :)

I expect to be in DR late June/early July so if you are willing to help me, that would be great.  You can private message me your rate and any other pertinent information needed.  I can also provide you with my husbands cell at that time so you can reach us.

Planner- I will also message you my husbands cell so we can meet when I arrive to go over insurance for our family.

immigrationexpertsdr wrote:

I have a practice in DR, but at the moment my partner is running it, I'm in New York legalizing Dominicans and helping Americans move to DR. i will be back in DR soon though, wife does not like the weather here.
I do not recommend you do it on your own. It is not a complicated process, I can tell you that a complicated thing is sending a rocket to the moon. I assure you this is not rocket science, but you still have to write some legal documents, like the claim of your nationality, you would at least need someone to draft this for you in legal Spanish.
A lawyer can also help you prepare for the nationality test. It's simple, still if you have no idea about basic Dominican history you will not pass.
I remember waiting with my client for the interview a Chinese gentleman who married a Dominican lady coming out of the interview yelling at his lawyer  that he wants his citizenship, They lawyer said  if you don't know who Juan Pablo Duarte is, and why we celebrate the 27th of February,they can't approve it.  His citizenship was not rejected though they simply told him to come back in two weeks knowing the answer to a few questions and his citizenship will be approved.   
Getting the right help will save you a lot of time.

Ok, great.  When you arrive, please contact us and we would love your help.

hahahaha  great answer.  So is there a lawyer here now we can get in touch with?

Hi Planner Bob K and everybody. Okay so now I have a question.. So what is the difference between applying for regular residency vs thru the Dominican Republic retirement program?  (I've been watching the whole post actually)  like is it a quicker path to residency? Is it easier? do you not need to provide the same documents like the doctors report, police report, etc? is it the same path to citizenship - or does applying thru this retirement make things simpler. I know there are some perks like discounted property insurance and that you don't have to renew your residency as much, something like that. trying to see if it is actually worth going thru this route instead.

I see u were told isaacb20747 thst you have to be actually documented retired. Which is the case here.

Sorry I cannot help you on this one.  Maybe a local lawyer can.  Me I am retired, have my permanent residency (just re did it as it expired this month for the 4th time) and have no desire for a citizenship.

Bob K

The retirement program or investor programs are supposed to be faster and easier but they are not - regardless of what gov't person says!

You still need all the documents, but I believe you don't need the sponsor letter, just proof of monthly income or investments.

Bob you are retired,  and have residency in dr.  Was it the exact same process to get that residency as one who is not a retiree?  Or by being retired made it different. sorry if I'm not getting a quick enough lol.

Sounds like the only thing that is different for a retiree is that you don't need the sponsor letter.. getting this from Planner. more is confusing but I'll just stop here

Bob did his original residencia before the rules changed as did I.

When I did it there was no difference.  I still needed a sponsor letter and all the rest of the paperwork, and you could start the process here not at home.  Our lawyer handled it all and we did not have any problems.  Yes we had to show solvency and I believe that is still the case.

Hope this helps

Bob K

So, when I am ready to rent, this is when I apply for residency.

isaacb20747 unless you are moving here one a permanent basis or going to liver here most of the time, or plan on working here no real need to get it.  IF not then waiting till you are ready to come down then apply. Remember you must start the process in your "home" country

Bob K

Bob how about one who plans on 'spending time' in the country. Not living there permanently or starting a business just maybe coming down a month or two at a time. Also in staying for that time im sure to incur bills like cable light gas rent etc, n would be needing to open a bank acct n things.. IN this case would a redencia be suggested? Or not necessary. This question derives from your last post.

Also, if I follow, seems like the only alternative to a residencia is a tourist card - which is only for 30 days. Is this correct?

Ok so lets clear this up  -  in accordance with the LAW if you are going to spend more then the "tourist visa" time here you should be getting your residencia!!!

The gov't has been lax in enforcing the law but that is changing. IF you plan to live here then plan to get your residencia!  Simple. In comparison to most countries it is damn cheap to get here.  You can do the whole thing for under US 2,000!!!! 

Now what you choose to do is up to you. Yes you can open a bank account, rent a condo, buy a house, open a business, pay your bills etc without residencia.  You cannot legally work here without residencia.

IF you are going to do the residencia route then you NEED TO START THERE not here. You need to get specific pieces of paper and documentation and get it officially stamped etc.  I will start a thread this week detailing the process!  Sorry for delay but fighting my health again!

If you are coming for a month or so at a time. I would not waste the money ($1000 or more) on a residency. You would have to come over a thousand times to break even.  If you stay beyond the 30 day tourist card limit there is a small "fine" you pay when you leave.  For up to 3 months it is 800 pesos

You do not need a residency to get anyone of the services you mentioned.

Bob K

Planner you beat me to it. I was typing when you posted.

BUT if you are only coming for a month or so at a time I would not spend the money on the residency. If I was planning on staying 6 months at a time...then yes.

Bob K

So the tourist visa IS in fact only 30 days. And anything over that, youre technically in violation even if it is just a small fine. Ok got it.

And you dont actually need the redencia for the services I mentioned, but STILL should technically have a redencia,  if you plan on staying in dr longer than 30 days.

and once you have a redencia, then you can stay over 30 days or under, your choice, with NO VIOLATION of any rule.

Do i Got It Correct?

That is correct and with your residency card you no longer have to purchase the $10 tourist card every time you enter the country.

Bob K

Well theres a saying the Lieutenant used to always debrief us on right before we went out on patrol to enforce law..  he would remind us to always, "Work smarter, so you don't work Harder."

in this case I'd rather just get the redencia instead of the 30 day stay card because based on my ideas, my stay could be longer than 30 days, depends on how im feeling at the time. With redencia I'm not limited to a 30 days stay and I'm not in violation if I stay over. for some person to possibly try to get over and say i owe X amount of dollars or some bs.
With the card seems id be all correct. The fee is not too bad especially since I have time to do all this, like I'm not planning on relocating mañana

Planner I hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks!  I am getting there day by day..... just please.  no more setbacks......

Thanks Bob. Yes, I plan to live, work and retire in the Dominican Republic. I will get the process started here and let you know of the progress. Thanks everyone on your input. It has been very helpful.

You are welcome and do keep us posted.  Please ask away as well.

Bob K

Bob,
"Prove solvency?" To the tune of guaranteed income from US or a certain amount of money in Dominican or US bank? Or....?

Solvency is income, investments that create income and or money to invest here in this country.

It includes everything.  I think for new residency it was a certain amount in a bank or a monthly income (I believe it was $1700 a month for the two of us).  Not a big deal unless  you are moving here are already destitute.

A well known saying around here is: "In order to leave the DR with a million dollars in your pocket you need to have arrived with two million"

Bob K

I believe for new 1,500 for one, 2,000 for a couple

My husband is Dominican so from reading this thread it looks easiest for me to to apply for citizenship directly so I don't have to renew my residencia.  Does anyone know of any possible draw back or negative implications of being a citizen instead of a resident? Like any difference in taxation?

Taxes are taxes.  Does you husband have all of his papers current?

Bob K

Yes he has a valid cedula and Dominican passport.

That should make it easier for you. I would contact a lawyer to help with the process

Bob K

Hi everyone.  I have a question for those who have resedencia and also those who have been naturalized.  Did you speak fluent spanish?  If not, how difficult was it for you to be able to understand the questions and answer them properly?

I am not yet a citizen but I understand it is fairly simple and if you don't understand someone can explain it to you.  I have not confirmed this!

For you citizenship you do need to take a test in Spanish and have an interview in Spanish.  For your residency you don't need any Spanish.

Bob K

01234turj wrote:

A rentier is a is a person  that receives income derived from stable economic rents from abroad ...  ... In order to prove that these rents are stable, you must prove you have been receiving it for the past five years.

Hi Ramon,
Maybe I don't understand Art.5 Par. II from Law 171-07.
Doesn't matter how many times I read it, it seems to me that one have to demonstrate the "income from abroad" for 5 year to come, not for the past 5 five years. I don't say you are wrong, but what am I missing ?

Say I'm working now here in Canada and have a awful amount of money... then next year I want to move to the Dominican Republic and establish there. So I have to stay here for 5 years eating out from my stash of money and only after those 5 years I will be accepted as a passive investor ?

"Paragraph II.- In the case of passive investors, they shall demonstrate that they have (doesn't say had) permanent and steady income from abroad, for a period of time no less than five (5) years"

Being my first post here let me say Hello to everyone  :)

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex and welcome.  As i read it and as I have seen it in practice, it usually comes down to invested or pension income of some kind. So if you can show you own real estate with an expected income moving forward,  pension income moving forward etc then it is broadly accepted!!!!

A new pension qualifies,  a rental contract even year to year but renewable qualifies etc Investment income shown off an investment account will also qualify and of course if you have them all,  even better.

Planner, thank you.
I don't have any of that kind of income, but... Now the income for a rentier is set as US$2000 per month plus an additional US$250 for each dependent. For my wife and myself that will turn to US$2250/month.
Showing a bank statement of my account with that amount multiplied by 60 months, will just do ? Or not ? The more I read around the more I'm getting entangled in all of this.

No that wont do it.  That is not income that is savings - can be used all at once then you have no income.

You may want to try a regular sponsored residencia.  Many lawyers provide the "sponsorship" letter for a fee or as part of their package.

If you have dual citizenship, do you have to pay taxes to both the U.S. And D.R? That would be a bit of a drawback wouldn't it? It seems you would have less income having to pay double taxes. Do you have to pay those double taxes with a residencia as well? Thanks.

Income earned outside on a retirement style residencia is not taxed here.  Income you earn here is taxed.

I dont believe citizenship changes that.  BUT i do believe you must declare worlwide income in USA. Get advice there on that.