Activities, hobbies, things to do in Kuwait - add suggestions!

When someone complained about being bored here in Kuwait everyone is always so quick to point out that there are plenty of activities but no one ever mentions a single one!

I'm a city girl who can't be bother with sports or other outdoor activities that requires running and one can only shop and eat so much so I like to make jewelry, sell clothes I can't wear here in Kuwait online, experiment with different green smoothies, decorate my apartment, teach my dogs new tricks, learn a foreign language and hang out at the beach club in my free time.

Aside from the obvious (eating, shopping, working out) does anyone else have any suggestions or would like to share what they do in their free time?

watch movies, read, sleep, indoor games, cook, do laundry, chat, daydream, invent, count, fascinate, write, surfing, etc.

1) workshops for diffrent activities, art, musicals , theatres such on
2) salsa, yoga, tango, classes and socail events,
3) beach houses rentals over weekend with friends.
4) sesha cafes and card games - board games (yes, we do love card games and we spend hours playing it daily)
5) valenter work at varies places (check classified)
6) become a pirate and start downloading movies and tv shows or get netflix to work with a good VPN setting
7) get a cat or a dog

I'll share with you guys my weekly schedule:
Friday: Breakfast, running, grocery, cooking, visit family and friends then hang out at nigh.
Saturday: Repeat Friday :)
Sunday: Work, swimming.
Monday: Work, rest.
Tuesday: Work, run, rest or shopping.
Wednesday: Work, Music night at Dar Al-Athar
Thursday: Work, Whatever the hell I feel like doing.

I believe what you can do in Kuwait depends very much on who you know. There are indoor activities you can do as long as it is computer related (not social networking). For example, I compose music using music composition software, this should keep me busy for hours every time.

There are other things that I don't see happening (doesn't mean they are not there) but I would love to see a more active community in general.

I have been reading a lot, something I haven't had time to do for a long time before coming to Kuwait.
Now I am preparing to do a complete overhaul of my car engine myself. I am not a professional car mechanic and I have never done it before. I figured that the worst thing that can happen is that I completely ruin a 15 year old car, but on the other hand I will get a ton of knowledge and experience regardless of the outcome, so as I see it I will be on the plus side either way.
Learning nad trying new things is what I love to do, but this may not be everyones cup of tea. :)

Awesome suggestions guys! @ribosom: good luck! that will definitely be a learning experience hahaa

Now when someone complains about being bored we can point them to a thread with suggestions! :)

Just keep the suggestion coming .... you never know what could interest who ;)

Now is a good time to go out and do outdoor activities, once summer comes you will definitely be watching a lot of tv. I watch all of my US tv shows online for free as OSN has been repeating the same movies from when I first arrived here 10 years ago plus I love Undercover Boss, The walking dead, Downtown Abbey and The Originals.

How about volunteering at one of the women's shelter or labourers camp?  From what I gather these shelther/camps alway welcome persons to assit in various aspects including fund raising, teaching skills so the men and women have more options later on in life, etc.

Doing volunteer teaching for one community groups? Teaching first aid, motivational speaker, website upkeep, etc. I am not too sure how communmity groups operate here but linking with groups an offering a service is always good.  Didi this before and found it useful to the group and myself. My resume looks better.  This could be international online groups as well so you do not have to leave your house.

Go to school and do a(nother) degree. I'm doing my doctorate (partially but that's another story) and find here useful for such. The main reason I am in Kuwait. 

Learn a new skill every three months (cannot remember the source right now) is recommended. Just dive in and try four new things, say; cooking, language (Mandarin anyone), karate, and swimming. Also increase network of people you interact with.

If I had the time (besides parenting and studying) I would do some of the above.

I started a Classical Music Circle (on this thread). The aim is to get together and talk about the music we love most and do other activities (something like a support group). It's picking up slowly, would like to see more members :)

I'm going to learn to scuba dive, I am doing online school, running, and GoKarts at the track by the airport on the weekends.  I am always trying to find new things to do.

hi all,
I just landed here last week and what I realized in last one week is that. Kuwait a nice place full of wonderful people from all across the globe and locals. But what I felt is... everyone wanna socialize but not getting enough opportunities. It may be busy schedule, fear about this new society or other commitments.
As we all suggested we do following activities based on our likes and I feel that every event will be a hit.

1) Playing
2) Good intellectuals talks over a coffee. It will help us all in various aspects of life.
3) Kuwait site seeing in a group.
4) Skill sharing (cooking, painting, playing musical instruments, learning new languages etc etc many I have)

Do let me know in case i am thinking in a right or wrong direction.

Regards,
Amit

very good ideas Amit, especially fond of the last one :)

thanks mate... my first weekend in kuwait is coming any suggestions friend? or do we have any planned activity this weekend.

Regards,
Amit

A new "pastime" I become fond of lately is touring by bus around Kuwait. OK that might have sounded a bit silly but here is the thing ... You plan your trip, study bus routes, find a route going through nice areas, do stuff on the way (shopping, car spare parts ... you name it). You meet interesting people on bus sometimes ... in short it's a mini-adventure that reminds me of school days. I really would love to do that with a group of friends one day.

We can actually combine this idea with that of @amit.innovation of sight seeing as group. Interested? :P

I was thinking to have a early morning walk with good talks followed by a good breakfast.

Lol not being a duech bag but you can hang out with me anytime :-).  We can find something to do

thanks man. So where you are living in kuwait and whts ur profession? for your information I am an auditor.

Cheers,
Amit

Are you learning on your own? Have you found a group to join?

Now a days I am busy in looking for a good accommodation here in Kuwait. But this thing I realized "In kuwait if you have goods friends and you are keeping yourself busy in good activities this place is heaven for you otherwise it difficult to be happy here just with the money and living alone."

Cheers Amit

I support your idea of touring around Kuwait by bus.  It is cheap and for those of us that dont have a Kuwait drivers license that is good.  I have heard many people say negative things about bus about safety but i have yet to experience any problems.  Now that summer is coming I am not sure if those things are air conditioned or not so that might be bad but otherwise so far they are great.  The one thing I have found is that there is no accurate list to say where a bus goes.  The lists that I have found posted are old and have not been updated.  For one bus (999)  I just got on it a few times and mapped its route out in Google Earth so now I know where it goes to.   Need a way to hellp people out to post accurate bus map along with the cool things near the routes of that bus.

Since I have been touring for some time now, I believe I know the routes of most of the buses here in Kuwait (well, I follow them with my car some times :P ). So if you want to discover a route (or join me on one) all you need is ask ;)

Very nice thoughts. Finding routes will not be a challenge I can do tht. please drop a mail to me at [email protected] we will connect better. And also if any one else is interested in joining us he/she is more thn welcome.

Cheers
Amit

Those who are interested in bus touring should plan it before it gets hotter. Event though buses ARE air conditioned, bus stations aren't and waiting times could extend to over 30 minutes sometimes.

So, get on with it ;)

Good in fact very nice to hear your thinking.

were r u working dear?

what about charges dear?