Unmarried expat couple having child in HCMC

Hello,

I am an Irish expat and my partner is Thai. We will be having a child in August this year. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience and what difficulties they had. I have heard it is difficult to get the fathers name on the birth cert if you are not married.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, G

It is hard to get your name into the birth certificate if you are not married, though with two foreigners, I'm not sure how it works.

My Singaporean friend with his vietnamese girl friend had a child, and to get his name into the birth certificate, he had to do a DNA test, and pay a couple hundred USD to "help" get his name into the certificate.

Thanks for the reply. I know it is difficult with a Vietnamese partner involved. Just wondering about two foreign parents.
Someone mentioned visiting the dept of Justice in our area.

Interesting, I am not married, they just asked for both our passports and paperwork from the consulate.

Ho, can i ask if you are both foreign nationals?
Can you tell me the exact procedure?

Hi,
Please read bellow:

1. Target of this policy: couple of
- 2 expats
- 1 of the couple is Vietnamese (who lives aboard).
- 1 of the couple is Vietnamese who lives aboard, the other is Vietnamese.
NOTE: the parents or their assignee must go by themselves. The assignee must bring assignment letter with them. In case the assignee are the close relatives of the parents (their grandparents, parents, brother or sisters), they don't have to bring the assignment letter but have to submit any documents proving their relationship).

2. Office you will go to:
Ho Chi Minh Department of Justice.
Address: 141-143 Pastuer, ward 6, district 3, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (+84-8) 38251402

3. Documents:
- Certification of the hospitals/place where you gave birth to your baby. If you gave birth to your baby at home or any places without certification, you have to find a witness to sign a document.
- In case one of parents can go, they must provide an assignment letter to the assignee.
- An agreement between parents about choosing nationalities for the baby which verified by the Government Office whereof parents agreed to choose as their baby's nationality. For example, you choose the baby's nationality to be Thai, get the agreement verified by Thai Consulate.
- All of these must be notarial documents:
+ Passport (you have to bring both copies and original),
+ Married certification. IN CASE you don't have the married certification, the best way is to submit the process for birth certification without father/mother's name it it.
+ Household registration book or Register of temporary residence (for Vietnam citizens in the country), permanent resident card or temporary residence card or temporary residence certificate (for foreigners residing in Vietnam).

4. Fee: 0VND (free).

5. Process:
- You come to the above address, ask for an application form, fill in, then submit together with all the documents. They will have a look through all over of them and give the original documents back to you.
- If all are ok, you go home with a receipt showing when you can come back to get the birth certification.
- If not, they'll tell you what else you must do.
In most cases, people will assign to an attorney to help doing all this to avoid corruption or being disturbing by bad officers (because they assume you know nothing). Contact me if you need this service.

6. Duration of process: within 3 working days, if you submit full of legal paperwork.
NOTE: you must do this within 60 days after the date of birth.

I hope this can help. Please contact me if you need any further help!

Hi Scarlet, thanks for your help. But i am looking for information for to foreign parents

Please read number 1 :)

U and her should go to the embassy of both side to asking help. That is one way to making things be more easy and simple, Vn rules giving so much of papers works before your kid having birth certificate.