Permanente visa

If I prove financial solvency in the correct amount of income per month for a residente permanente visa, can I get that type of visa after 12 months of proof of income, without waiting and getting a residente temporal visa? Thanks!

I am hoping to get the permanente ASAP. They don't have the points system in place for visas for professionals, do they?

I believe you have to start with temporary visa and after 4 years on temporary visa, you can apply for residente Permanente with income requirements.  I think the permanent visa requires $ 2500.00 monthly income... Best regards...:)

Thanks, MexicoBob. I know there was a 4 year requirement under the old rules, but is that true under the new ones as well?

I believe so unless you marry a mexican and it would be 2 years on temporary.  But im almost sure this info is correct.  Hopefully i wasn't  misinformed (:           Mexicobob

Well rats. But thanks sooo much for your help. Just being here is the most important thing anyway!

MexicoBob wrote:

I believe you have to start with temporary visa and after 4 years on temporary visa, you can apply for residente Permanente with income requirements.  I think the permanent visa requires $ 2500.00 monthly income... Best regards...:)

Anyone can apply at a Mexican Consulate either for a Residente Temporal or a Residente Permanente but financials are different and some consulates want you to be of retirement age.

RT is about $1950 US monthly income and RP is about $2650 US. $195,000 US in a investment account not touched for a year also qualifies you for a RP visa.

There are some different ideas what qualifies you at different Mexican consulates but the amounts are the same.

If he did go for the 4 years on a RT visa he would only have to show financials the first time and after 4 years would get a RP without showing financials.

Some consulates are using a possible "age" qualification for those who want a Permanent visa and have the required income. There was a recent person around the age of 50 that was told he could only get a Temporary and hold it for four years before going permanent. This could be just a rule with some consulates. You might have to shop for a consulate.

Great information, thanks! How do you go about forum shopping for a consulate? Telephone calls, or are there other ways to get an idea of what their (different) policies are?

With the new rules you can get a permanent visa by proving you have an income of 1000 per month or savings of that much.  You need to apply at the border and provide them with a background check from the county and or city that is clean.  For instance with these two proofs, I got my permanent visa in three days in El Paso.  I did have to take the approved and stamped paperwork to my destination home - Playa del Carmen! and wait for 3 weeks to get my card.

Emmes wrote:

With the new rules you can get a permanent visa by proving you have an income of 1000 per month or savings of that much.  You need to apply at the border and provide them with a background check from the county and or city that is clean.  For instance with these two proofs, I got my permanent visa in three days in El Paso.  I did have to take the approved and stamped paperwork to my destination home - Playa del Carmen! and wait for 3 weeks to get my card.

I would be careful following this advice as it is very different then that published on many other Mexican forums. An income of 1,000 usd a month is very low when consulates are asking over 2,300 usd. Very few consulates want to see a background check - Seattle comes to mind.

Emmes, in previous posts, states that she has dual citizenship in both the US and Mexico negating the need for a visa.