Considering Bahrain for next 2 years of my life..

Hi everyone
i got job offer to go to Bahrain, but as im girl and there is lot of cases about taking passoprts away from workers, im bit paranoid about coming there.. anyway i didnt get contract yet so im not sure will they ask me to give it away, but they told me that i won't be able to leave bahrain for next 2 years.. so im paranoid that i cant be more paranoid.. what are your experiences?

It is illegal in Bahrain for employers to hold passports of their employers. However some still do. You must confirm this with your employer and if you are feeling uncomfortable about it, then don't take the offer from your employer. What your employer may have meant by saying you cannot leave Bahrain for the first 2 years is probably because of the length of your contract. All jobs in Bahrain come with a 2 year renewable contract. If you are really concerned about it, check with your company or the recruitment agent if you trust them. Don't forget recruitment agents are working for you as well as the employer, meaning they get a commission upon your employment.

If you come here and see your passport being held by the employer, you can go to LMRA to complain, however don't forget this is a long and lengthy process and not something everyone would want to go through.

thank you Brightonguy

i know that its called Kafala system.. and i know companies are taking passports for few days in order to take care of visa and residency but im not sure how to trust them that i will get it back.. i dont even know can i trust recruiters as i couldnt find much about them on google either.. about trust..i have higher hopes than trust..

Dear the validity for the visa in Bahrain 2 years so they want to use u till the Max , but be sure here in Bahrain the government too fair and as per Bahrain low noticed period 30 days so all what u have to do just to inform your company before ur leaving date with 30 days that's it

Thanks!!

Also take a few copies of your passport to keep with you in case you need them for proof that it is yours and you also have your passport number to hand