Empoyment process at Saudi Universities

Hi 'expat' people,

I have received some offers from Saudi Universities two months ago, after I have sent my application. During some interviews I had, interviewers told me that the whole process to get authorization and make an offer, takes one month. But no one contacted me from that time. By authorization, I mean a ministerial agreement that allows university to hire foreign instructors.       

Assuming that some of you may have some experience out there, I would like to know how long is the employment process of Saudi Universities.
Should I ask interviewers, once again, to update me?

Thank you in advance!

Hi & well done on getting through the interviews.

First of all, the time it takes will depend a little on how organised the HR are. If they need you asap they will move fast and possibly invite you on a temporary business visa.

However, the normal scenario is that the company or direct hire will send you to get medicals, certificates notorised etc etc and then you will have to wait for the Saudi embassy to issue you a visa. Once the visa is issued you then have 90 days to enter the kingdom.

Realistically, they may be recruiting now with a view to a september start. The universities will generally close for the vacation in June.

Whenever you apply for a job here never ever quit your existing job until you have the saudi visa. Twice I've applied to work here and contracts have been pulled at short notice. Some people had left their jobs, given up their accommodation and boy were they in a mess or waiting around for ages without a salary.

Once you do get here, it's fine - my advice is to research the company/institution you want to work for on a forum like dave's els cafe. Some companies are much better than others regarding working hours, salary, accommodation allowance etc

Good luck!

Thank you very much VictoriaHemmings for your feedback. I have just seen your answer (did not recieve any notification email...). Regarding your advice (thanks!) I compeletely agree with you, I am not going to resign from my current job before obtaining VISA, hopefully in a reasonable period of time. 

Actually I did not recieve any request for medicals or certificates notorization...This said, I would like to know at which stage my application may be at this moment? 

If we assume they go on vacations next June, this means I still have to wait three months during which, if my application is approved, then I should proceed with VISA application, which can take several months as well...??

Thanks for your help!

globe__trotter wrote:

Thank you very much VictoriaHemmings for your feedback. I have just seen your answer (did not recieve any notification email...). Regarding your advice (thanks!) I compeletely agree with you, I am not going to resign from my current job before obtaining VISA, hopefully in a reasonable period of time. 

Actually I did not recieve any request for medicals or certificates notorization...This said, I would like to know at which stage my application may be at this moment? 

If we assume they go on vacations next June, this means I still have to wait three months during which, if my application is approved, then I should proceed with VISA application, which can take several months as well...??

Thanks for your help!

if you google "Saudi Embassy employment visa" you're going to find a plethora of guidelines to follow and tasks to complete for the employment visa

Hi Globe Trotter,

If HR haven't asked you to go and get a medical - and without this you can't get a work visa etc then I would hazard a guess that they are recruiting for a september start.

Everything to do with the saudi embassy will really slow down during the summer because of ramadan too.

Another point about companies is that sometimes they can't apply for your visa until they've met their quota apparently. If a company for example says they nedd 100 english teachers, of which 60 must be American, 30 Canadian and 10 British then they have to show that they've recruited these people first - they would show signed contracts as proof of this.

If you need any more help feel free to message.

Best wishes,

Victoria

Hi,
@rareshine: I did so and read a lot, but did not find answers to my questions.
Thank you very much Victoria, . As for now I am waiting for any news from HR(s) side...

That's right# Saudi Arabia# also known as 'the land of waiting'. ;-)

See you in September inshallah