Wanting to move to Sweden

Hey Everybody!!

I am Greek, 27 years old, a Chemist, currently working on my phd thesis at the Univercity of Crete. Unfortunately, due to money shortage, I will propably be unable to finish it. Therefore, I will be urgently looking for a job any day now. It has always been my lifelong dream to move permanently to Sweden. However, I only speak English. Can you help me?

Is it possible for my and my mother to come to Sweden? How much money will I need? Can I come and start looking for a job afterwards? It doesnt have to be related to chemistry. Any job will do, as long as I can live in Sweden with my mother.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Thank you vary much in advance,
Michael Kounenidakis

Hi Michael

I read your post. I am in a similar situation so hopefully I can help my informing you what I know so far.
I am 26 from Australia and I am a Nurse.

I came to Sweden about 2 months ago to be with my partner. I also don't know any Swedish.

I came here on a working/holiday visa for one year and then I plan to extend that via immigration. I don't think you will have a problem coming to live here as it was easy for me, well that is in comparison to Australia anyway. However, I would recommend you come with a minimum of $10,000.

It is not so easy for English speakers to get jobs here. This is what i have found, but you may have a different experience. However, I have spoken to others who are in the same situation and my partner is Swedish and also has a hard time getting a job.  You may have more luck getting a job Stockholm because it is a bigger city but it is more expensive to live.

I am in Gothenburg and looking for somewhere to rent now. Two bedroom rental properties seem to be about $600-1000 a month. You also get payed monthly here.

Fortunately, I am living with my partners family at the moment so I cant really help you with where you would stay when you get here but defiantly get a rental before you get here.

There are free coarses for English speakers to learn Swedish.

I hope some of this help

Elysha