Need Suggestion and advice to move in Ecuador

Hi,
my name is Henry, originally from Czech Republic, living in Canada. I'm looking for simple and safe place for
a few months over winter to spent my retirement. Me and my wife will go to spiritual retreat in Peru, stopping in
Quito for 1 week in Apr. I am grateful for any advice for following concerns:
- good, cheap and safe accommodation (motel] in central/south as we want to visit Teleferiqo, Cathedral, Parque
National Cotopaxi, etc.
- is taxi drive safe at night?
- meeting place for expats
- any vegetarian restaurant in this area?
- good Mercado
- any experience with "kissing bag"?
- any suggestion or advice
Thank you for any reply
Henry

@hplch -

This website is aimed primarily at expats and not tourists.

If you need a visitors guide to Ecuador, there are many sources.

Try these for a start:
http://www.ecuador.us/tourism/http://wikitravel.org/en/Ecuador

Henry: Gardener is right, but I'll try to give you some quick answers where I can:

- good, cheap and safe accommodation (motel] in central/south as we want to visit Teleferiqo, Cathedral, Parque National Cotopaxi, etc.

I don't know about the south -- it really isn't generally thought of as a tourist or expat area. Most Gringos are in Centro Historico or Norte. And in any case, I can't recommend a hotel. There are some nice-looking places in Centro, but I don't know the prices. Tourism sites like those Gardener mentioned or Trip Advisor would have lots of recommendations.

If you're at the Cathedral (in Plaza Grande) there are two more fabulous churches within a couple hundred meters, that I would rate as must-see: Iglesia de la Compania de Jesus (the Jesuit Church) and San Francisco de Quito. La Compania ranks among the most awe-inspiring buildings I've ever seen.

I'm not familiar with Parque National Cotopaxi. Are you referring to the mountain? It's not in Quito.

- is taxi drive safe at night?

I've had no problem. Normal caution is always a good idea in unfamiliar surroundings.

- meeting place for expats

Don't know. There's a group called South American Explorers Club in Norte.

- any vegetarian restaurant in this area?

Sorry -- not my thing.

- good Mercado

I'm still looking for something that sells more than just fruits and veggies, although I enjoy those. The best I've found is Mercado Santa Clara on Antonio de Ulloa. I think the better mercados, based on what I've read, are found in the outlying smaller towns like Otavalo.

- any experience with "kissing bag"?

What the heck is this? I'd love to know more.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Bob

I think he meant the kissing bug,, and no it is not where you are going.. it is closer to the Amazon, where the cities end and the real rural begins.  No problems with the Kissing Bug where you are mentioning visiting.

Thank you Denise, yes that's what I meant. Sorry my English is far from perfect. I checked it on google  rearch.
It is pretty deadly stuff living all over Amazon parts- see a map there...
Henry

Thank you BobH for some help.
This trip(Quito part) is not tourist visit, but more like to go there and see on my own, taste atmosphere, meet people
and try to figure out, if I can live there. As I got only 1 week I was looking for some practical advice from people who live there. Anything else I can find on Internet.
I lived in Madrid, Spain for 1/2 year as refugee many years ago and atmosphere there was fantastic, but to get to
know people and make friends wasn't so easy. Here in Canada is opposite situation...
I am not expat yet as you see, but this is something I am looking for here...
Henry

Hi Henry,

A new topic has been created from your post on the Ecuador forum for better views and interaction.

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

The areas that you will be visiting will not have that issue, innercity like you are mentioning are clear.  They are more concerned with how to get rid of Ants!
When are you coming?  We would love to meet with you.. my whole heritage is from Slovenia and parts just a memory now.  Please let us know if you need some help.

Sincerely,
Formerly
Denise Czaplinski,, now Toepel
not in Denver anymore.

Hi Denise,
Yes we can meet, will be interesting...we are flying there Apr.07, staying  until Apr.14. I am still checking some
places for accommodation, so when I will know I write more info..
I can't wait to get down there...my furnace just quit yesterday, so I was without heat over night, room temperature
+6C outside was -27C...
Henry

Well Henry,

If you need help with accommodations, just ask.  We can help you.  Do you know where you want to be based?  Downtown, or in the outskirts.  The airport is out in lower Jibib... they built it hoping to move it from downtown to a less residential neighborhood.  So.. it is quite a ride to anywhere, but again there are local hotels, one right next to the airport,, is called Quito Airport Suites,, they have a van to pick you up, and if you arrive after 10 it is a good idea to at least stay there until morning it is not super lux,, but it is clean and serves breakfast..

Sincerely

Denise in Quito.

Denise in Denver wrote:

... if you arrive after 10 it is a good idea to at least stay there until morning it is not super lux,, but it is clean and serves breakfast..

Denise has some good advice, but there's another side to the late-arrival picture. I was scheduled in at after 1am and originally planned to spend the night at an airport hotel. Then a friend pointed out that, rotten as Quito traffic is, I'd be better off driving into town at that hour than in mid-day. Now that I've seen Quito traffic, I understand.

Of course, at the end of a long day's travel, a bed close by might be more attractive than a long cab ride. It can be a tough choice.

Bob

What he says is true,, but I just remember the red lights that we went through,  the fog,, and thinking,, oh my ......d
where is he taking me, I was in a panic, I understand that this is a gentleman, but truly, I hated doing it at night when I really couldn't see.

but you are totally right about traffic,, but when you arrive, you are so busy looking around trying to see things it goes pretty fast anyway...

Hi Denise,
It was very good advice. I already book that hotel  for 1st night, got reply from them and  will book it again for last night as we will leave for Lima early morning. Rest booking hopefully will be OK as is so many choices in downtown...
Thank you again...
Henry

Hi, Henry. If you are coming to Cuenca we can help. I am from Hungary.

Hi Manonne,
I love to go to Cuenca and some other places too, but have no time to do so. Most flights go to Quito, so we
will check it there first. But I don't like to live in big cities ...
Thanks for offer to help.
Henry

Message for Denise,
we will be staying in Travellers Inn, La Pinta E4-435y Av. Amazonas  tel. 593 (2) 2556985
Apr.08 to Apr.14
Is it good choice ? If not let me know, it's free cancellation up to 2days before...
If you like to meet please leave us message in reception, preferably first couple days somewhere late afternoon?
Henry

Have fun!