Class K permit: does Kenya tax the remittance (pension)?

You can get a long stay resident visa under the condition that you have an insured income from abroad. What I'd like to know is whether the remittance gets taxed or whether you need to fill in a tax return that will lead to its being taxed.

Hi,
The basis of the visa is that you can comfortably support yourself from an income from abroad.They will need prove of this.
In your case, it would seem like you would not be getting any income locally hence no need to have to pay tax.Unless the source of your pension is from a subsidiary of a Kenyan compaby domiciled in another country and the said country being where your pension is paid from.
You however will still need to register as a tax payer(when you stay in the country) and just fill NIL Nil income for the year(s) in question.
Hope other may given you a better answer,
A

Thanks for the opinion. I'm still doubtfull though because Deloitte's tax highlight for Kenya (link below) says "Noncitizen residents must include their after-tax foreign source employment income in their Kenya taxable income." Then it says "Employment income is broadly defined and includes amounts paid outside Kenya".

So not declaring foreign income like an overseas pension would be tax evasion. The problem is if Kenya required a tax clearance certificate when I leave the country. It could get tricky. There must be a reason why not more pensioners choose to settle in Kenya.

(2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Tax/dttl-tax-kenyahighlights-2014.pdf)