Expat parents with kids at JKS

Hi All,

I am an American expat not working at JKS but my children go there.  Unfortunately, I have a very unique situation and feel like I have no other options to give my children a balanced education.  I have basically given up on that school and send them there for the drama, art, PE and to socialize, which is not going very well as the kids are too "tribal".  Academically not sure as a parent I don't know what the hell my child does all day as everything is sooo secretive we don't even get to see assessments or test except for the weekly spelling and Arabic dictation.

Sorry for my ranting.

My 4th grader is having a VERY difficult time finding friends so I am trying to see if there are other parents out there with the same problem to see if we can connect and do something for our kids, I have girls.  I started a book club for 3 and 4 graders to build a love of reading in my kids as it does not seem to be a priority at JKS. Please contact me if you are interested   I am also looking for a Girl Guides or Girl Scout troop if anyone knows of one. My kids is miserable and I need to get her involved in things to help her connect and make some friends.

I am sorry to hear that your child is struggling Insha Allah it will be better for them. I don't know your personal situation or if it is possible for them to change schools?

I will try and find the exact name of the group but I have heard of a group on Facebook (something like Jeddah mums or something). Where expat mums mostly Muslim are quite active. May be an idea to connect with them for you to build up a circle of support and help. Also sure that a book club is the type of thing they would help with.

All the best.

Jeddah Mums is the facebook group, but only your wife can join. There is a Jeddah Blog group on facebook that is helpful in all things jeddah too.

If your wife and children are visiting the states this summer a way to supplement their education here is to look at a "teacher" store and get a few workbooks or theme units that she will enjoy and work at home with her (they can be expensive though). Some stores may be named: Learning is Fun or Lakeshore. Also look at Scholastic.com, ABC Mouse (though may be too young), PBS.com. Even Amazon has items. Also if you want books check out bookdepository.com.UK they are decent priced & deliver for free to Saudi it just takes about 3 weeks to get.

Can I ask why you didn't put them in the American school? I couldn't get my daughter enrolled there either & have put her in Dar Jana which she is doing well there. If she was older than preschool I probably wouldn't have her there though since they do segregate at I think 3rd grade which I am not a fan of.

I did teach 4th grade for a number of year in Las Vegas & the Pacific Northwest so if you ever want some book titles let me know.

Stressedmom, I though Trapped was a woman (judging by the icon at least). Sorry trapped if I got that wrong.

I believe Trapped is also a Muslim which may be the reason why she didn't opt for the American school. That and the American schools drug problem!

Adamb123 - ha didn't even look at the icon! If I am wrong I am sorry Trapped.

So many people have icons that look one gender and when you look at their profile is says the opposite gender so I stopped paying attention to the icons.

Thanks adamb and stressed mom did not know about the Jeddah Mums facebook group will try to get linked in with them.  I also contacted to World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts to try and locate a troop in Jeddah will see how I get on with that and post anything that comes up.

Hello...will be moving to jeddah soon...very nervous
trapped..did you have any luck tracking down the Girl guides group?

Nervous over what? I find it extremely odd that a 4th grader struggles to make friends. Kids for the the most part in Saudi, and elsewhere, aren't judgmental or vicious as some adults are. There are many international schools and your child will be fine.

It seems that you are a teacher, and as one, I think you should recognize that all children are different and some have more difficulty then others making friends.  Furthermore, anytime kids are being uprooted from one country to another it is a challenge for the whole family...no matter which country one is moving too...I will take all the advice I can get to make this transition as easy as possible.  This is why I joined this forum....

i have received 2 new students uprooted and moved (just like yours) within the past 2 weeks. they're adjusting fine. The peers are welcoming and as I have mentioned before -  the kids in general,  have tactics of making friends the adults lost long ago. I understand you're worried, my biggest fear is that parents often rub off that negative energy to their child- handicapping the child's natural abilities to be exactly that -  a child.

I am a current student at jks and I am in high school i see the children during lunch and when we visit them sometimes, also the siblings of the girls in my class, I can understand your daughter, this is a terrible school and no one should have to put there daughter through the pain of being in it.