Business in Indonesia

Hi
I would like to know which business categories are allowed for foreigners to do in Indonesia ?

Hi Baloushi, lots of confusers around. Check the main website www.bkpm.co.id and go to negative investment list. Find the investment catagories. But engage local agent to help u. There r few reliable names just like there r some hanky phankies around. If interested you can share your details and we can discuss further. There r JV options as well as company formation.
Take care. Kazim

Just about everything and anything with some notable exceptions:

-You can't practice law.
-You can't practice the medical arts.
-Banking can be done, but it's tricky
-You can't run for office

There are certainly a few more that I simply haven't thought of…but you get the idea.

You can't work in government departments

Actually why are you asking such a question?

Thanks to all for your reply.
Basically I am trying to compare the business conditions between Indonesia n Malaysia.
I am in Dubai but willing to move n start own business.
Seems Indonesia is still with old roots n restriction but Malaysia seems attractive.

I am living in Malaysia and have been here for the past 10 years. But I plan to move to Indonesia in the next year or two because business opportunities are far greater.

I've also run my own buying office/garment export company in Hong Kong which was a large scale business, remember C&A ?. I find Malaysia very difficult and I really don't know why so many foreigners want to come here.

Some will agree with me and some won't, but since I have an Indonesian wife for me the prospects of making business in Indonesia are much more promising.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for such a positive n motivational reply. But the difference is that you have Indonesian wife but I don't. :)
I am complete an out sider to be in Indonesia, I don't have much legal procedures n details about starting business there but I am trying to know.
I am into logistics n cargo business by 15 years, and I M trying to know more before make a decision.

Yes it's true, but do what you have to. Take a partner or something like that, whether its a business partner or a personal partner. Sometimes trying to follow the rules are too difficult and we need to find ways to reach our objective.

"Sometimes trying to follow the rules are too difficult and we need to find ways to reach our objective."

I agree to an extent, but I can assure you that my list of once upon a time expats here in Bali (which is a long list) and who pushed that envelope too hard, hemorrhaged money beyond their wildest dreams. 

These days Indonesia is VERY serious about combating corruption...just as they already have combated terrorism.  One would be sadly mistaken these days to take the laws of Indonesia with too big a grain of salt.

Another word of advice...don't overplay the Indonesian wife card either.  It helps a lot, but only within certain limits.

Think about what you just wrote…and keep in mind that 1 Billion IDR only equals US $87,000.  That's peanuts compared to the level of corruption that was going on at high government levels…millions of US in many individual cases.   

In my regency there is a current corruption case involving a past director of archaeology for Gianyar and the amount involved is 250 million IDR, or about US $21,000.  One should never believe what one reads on the internet as “gospel.”

Given the resources available and the cost and time involved for each investigation, it seems to me that Indonesia is taking a very practical and reasonable approach here.

want to make contract with partner?
contract maker/legal consultant >> [email protected]

hi,

all  categories can be done, but you have to face the hassles. Find Indonesian partner for your business it will be better for you.

sir I want here (Indonesia) vehicle drive job in government Indonesia or private company ,
I have HTV  PSV driver license Pakistani,
if you help me i will be thankfull to you

sikandar hussain wrote:

sir I want here (Indonesia) vehicle drive job in government Indonesia or private company ,
I have HTV  PSV driver license Pakistani,
if you help me i will be thankfull to you

You will not be able to get a job here...here are millions of drivers.

"You will not be able to get a job here...here are millions of drivers."

So true Tom, and of course there is also the great difficulty for Pakistani's in getting a visa to Indonesia.