Assistant Professor salary in law school

Colleagues and friends,

I am considering an offer to work as an Assistant Professor at a newly established private university's law school. The law school is in Istanbul. I have not received an official offer yet, but was told that the salary is around 5,000TL per month. I believe this turns into roughly 2,500 USD. I do not know yet if they pay for my insurance as well.

I have three kids (6, 3, and 1 years old). Is this an OK salary? What would you advise me to negotiate with the university? Is it possible to work part-time at a different law school in addition to my full-time job? If yes, how much more I can make?

Can you also tell me how much would be the rent for 2-3 bedroom apartment?

Many thanks for all your advice!

i am a lawyer.if i were you i would go to nevada and be a cowboy but not to be a lawyer in turkey

I am planning to teach law and possibly do some consulting work for local international law firms. Can you elaborate more why it is a bad idea to work as a lawyer in Turkey? Thanks!

Absolutely...
Prefer to be a cowboy instead of being a lawyer or an accountant in Turkey.
Laws are like hit lists of pop channels. Maybe even changing more frequent. And becoming more and more complex to follow and deal. People confused, system also.

In academic platform, refer to focus on stable fields like law of international trade, copyrigt issues, patents etc which are not in frequent change.

Hi

I am not familiar with the system changes in turkey when it comes to law. However I dare say 5000tl even after taxes is not a great deal. Especially if you have children going to an international school. The cowboy option doesn't seem so bad :)

Cheers

5000tl is not bad in Istanbul but will the uni cover the child care expenses if yes I can say you can live comfortably in istanbul.

rent is about 1,500/month
electricity,gas,water,internet 200/month

I recently got a job offer from a turkish university. Willing to pay 13,000 turkish liras. May take it up.