Engineering Visa

I arrived here on a Mechanical Technician Visa around 3.5 months ago. My employer told me that they would later change my Visa & Iqama according to engineering as per my qualification. I already have got my Mechanical Technician Iqama. I would like to know whether this switch is possible? If it is, do I need to pass the engineering council exam for that? What would be the procedure for this change?

Dear Click,

In order to change your iqama, they must have an engineer's visa, the procedures are similar to what they did in the first place to get you over here but since you are already here and already have an iqama it should be easier (IF they have an engineer visa.)

About the engineering council, they will apply for the membership for you, you will be asked to submit some papers (Bsc, authorization letter, score card, etc.) on the website. 

Please note that when registering there are 3 levels of engineers, (Engineer, Practicing Engineer,  Professional Engineer) you should choose just Engineer which doesnt require an exam. The other 2 levels require you to take an exam (FE or PE).

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks a lot MohSwellam. :)

By the way what's the difference between those engineering categories?

You're welcome Click, glad to help :)

The differnece between those engineering categories is simple.

Engineer: Basic membership, no benefits (that I know of) except getting your engineer iqama. Membership around 1,700 SR. (Sorry I don't remember the exact figure)

Practicing Engineer: 0-5 years experience, must take the Fundmental Engineer exam (FE). It will mean you are an active member of the Engineering council and you are entitled for benefits like cheaper courses, etc. Membership around 2,000 SR. (Sorry I don't remember the exact figure)

Professional Engineer: More than 5 years experience, must take Professioanl Engineer exam (PE). Same benefits as Pracitcing Engineer, membership around 2,500 SR.

Also you will pay extra 500 SR for the council to begin reviewing your papers.