Ireland bound for my golden years!! What can I expect??

I am dreaming of GREEN of late, my Irish blood saying to find my roots, and thinking of spending my golden years (I am 57) perhaps in Wexford or Cork.  I'm an American (all of my life) and will be selling my property here in California, taking a small nest egg with me.

So....all you American expats, what's it like?  You think I could live somewhere lovely on $1500/month?  Good idea to buy a little place, or rent?

I'm an artist, writer, photographer, animal-lover, quite content to be single, no children, and just wanting that little heaven on earth on green hills near the shore. 

What do you think??

Hello Nancy, welcome to Expat.com,
I will move your post to the Irish forum to enhance your chances to receive positive answers.
Arlette

Merci  : )

Hi Nancy! Hows things? I'm Irish, I live in Dublin. I'm moving to Denmark so I joined up here and I just thought I'd look at the Irish part and I saw your post. If your an artist/writer/musician then Ireland is great for you as you wont pay any tax on your earnings. Yes, €1500 a month is very do-able for living expenses, but I suppose it depends on you lifestyle. Ireland is tiny so you could visit Wexford and cork and see which you like better (cork is very scenic, but a little more expensive).If you have any questions feel free to get in touch.

Hi, Verno, how nice you responded to my post!  Great news for me that I won't need to pay taxes as an artist/writer.  Thanks for cost of living advice re Wexford or Cork.  Leaning more towards Wexford now, anyway; I hear it's warmer/drier than other areas. 

My income would actually be closer to 1200euros, or possibly 1000euros (I gave you USD amount), but if I rent at max 400euros, I think I could live simply but comfortably -- you think so?  I'd like to do without a car, live in town, etc., which would save some money, surely.

Interesting you are heading to Denmark!  Should be a lovely travel for you.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hello Nancy. I too am think about leaving CA for a move to Ireland. I'm looking into a house sitting opportunity for 7 months in Drogheda??? Seems like a great place. I'm just started looking in to this so it was interesting I found you have the same desire. When are you thinking about doing this?

Bill

Hi, Bill, and how great another Californian may be heading to Ireland!  I lived in L.A. many years ago, and I have to say one of the best years of my life was spent in Malibu.

Do you have Irish blood, too?  That's part of what is prompting me to go there, a large part.  I want to reach into the depth of my ancestry, and put my hands in the dirt they once farmed.  I know so little, though, about them, and even if I can't track down specifics about them, Ireland is SO BEAUTIFUL, I think I will be very happy walking around in all that Ireland is.

Plus I like a good beer from time to time.  Another way I know I'm Irish.

Drogheda sounds terrific; right outside of Dublin and, from what I've read, a very historical town.  When do you go?  I won't be heading out until spring, not sure; I am in the process of selling my property and slowing getting down to 'small baggage'.  How did you manage the house-sitting thing?  How does that work?  You stay for free?!

Check out housecarers.com. Places all over the world. No I'm not Irish. I'm now single, kids grown and seems like a good time for an adventure. I went to school in England and went back and worked there for a few months - MANY years ago. I'm in the process of contacting the person to find out more info.
Ireland has some of the best golf in the world. Seems like a good thing to do if all works out.

Ireland does have great golf:  all those rolling green hills...  I'll probably wind up a great golfer in no time.

Thanks for the tip on housecarers.com. I'm single now, too, and I only had stepchildren, and that's done, so I am loving my new life, with adventure and travel on my mind as well.  I'm thinking Ireland will become my home base, and can zip off to western Europe for fun travel.  We will see!  If you do go to Ireland to housesit, I'd love to hear about it.

You LOOK kinda Irish....

Nancy,
If you'd like my password to get to the listings in housecarers, just contact me directly at [email protected]. Would love to chat with you directly

Bill

am writing you now!  thanks!!

I am an early retiree and live in Florida, I to want to move to Ireland because I have Irish roots,  I have visited there and I truly felt that's where I belong. I understand it's not easy getting a visa to live there but I am now doing research so I know what to expect.  Hopefully by this time next year I will be there.  Any info would be helpful.

Renting is the way to go at the moment..especially if you are not familiar with the area(s).  To get an idea of letting prices, have a look at daft.ie and you can search by county and by town.

Hi Nancy,

We moved here last year, more on a whim. you see my Father died and I had the job of sorting out his papers etc for Mum. my cousin phoned me and said why don't you come over here for a while and just chill. Well We (my wife Maggie an I) came over for a week - we fell in love with Ireland! We came over the following year to see a little more if Western Ireland and suddenly saw a building site and a dream bungalow in the midst of construction. we stopped had words with the builder/owner and in 5 minutes we shook hands and so started the purchase procedure. A year later I retired (I was self employed) THE BEST MOVE WE HAVE MADE. We have always said If we don't like it we will sell up and move back (to England) and spend our money on holidays.We live in Co. Mayo It is a different lifestyle to England. It does take a little getting used to but after a year we have reached the point that when we go to England to visit friends and relatives we are really glad to get back. My advice DO IT Don't try to change the world and above forget "when I was back in England/America" Remember you are in Ireland enjoy it. They do say when you arrive in Ireland you should adjust your clocks and watches, back 50 years.

Hey, Hunros, welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks

I moved to Ireland from the US 15 years ago. There are a lot of things about Ireland I love.

You may not realize just how EXPENSIVE it is to live in Ireland. - and getting more expensive all the time. I am not a person of means, and have found the financial side of living here extremely stressful.

I live in rural Ireland and had no idea how much flack I'd get for being American. I wasn't prepared for the racism.

The rain......and the flooding.......

But it took me more than 10 years to get fed up with the cons of living here.

I can't wait to leave.

I have heard it said, by a fellow British immigrant Ireland would be even more wonderful if it had a roof

Hello there, my name is Patti and I am from Boise idaho. been living here in Cavan Ireland for the last 10 years.
Ireland is spendy compaired to Idaho, but probably about the same if you are from Cali.  To rent a 1 bedroom apt or house, the rent every month will run you about400 dollars a month, that is just for rent. Almost every apt or house for rent will come furnished, that was a big plus for us when we first moved here as all we brought over were 2 suitcases each.
A friend of ours has a 1 bed apt, rent $400 a month, power $40 a month.  Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Have a great day!