Is 16,000 RMB per month enough to survive in Shanghai?

Hi ,

I got a job offer of 16,000 RMB per month in Shanghai.

Is this much money enough to have a decent lifestyle in Shanghai

?

Am I be able to make some savings out of it ?

(I will be coming alone )

Please suggest !

Cheers!

Hi,

If you are talking about RMB16,000 excludes accomodation and transport, than I would say you probably can have a decent lifestyle over there.  Otherwise it is really depend on what type of standard you are looking at....

Hi joeyckc82,

Thanks for the reply.

16,000 RMB includes accommodation and Transport.

In that case dont u think 2K RMB in accommodation and 2K RMB in food and transport will be make an optimum budget amount for a single person in Shanghai.

Or I am missing something here in calculation

16,000 is no problem.  It's not oodles, but you can have a decent lifestyle here.

Depending on where you live I'd budget more like 3K for rent, transport is cheap, taxis aren't that expensive and the metro has expanded so much that you can get pretty close to wherever you're going that.

Food is very inexpensive, whether cooking at home or eating at simple chinese restaurants.  You can have a decent meal for less than 50 RMB at the cheap chinese places.  As for cooking at home, so long as you learn to cook chinese style food, or at least just deal with local ingredients, it doesn't take much.

Of course it depends on your lifestyle, but if you are somewhat frugal,  you should be able to save a few thousand/month on that.

if u dont spent to much then ,its enough ! but i think u cant save some money here ? are you going to be an english teacher here ?

joeyckc82 wrote:

Hi,

If you are talking about RMB16,000 excludes accomodation and transport, than I would say you probably can have a decent lifestyle over there.  Otherwise it is really depend on what type of standard you are looking at....

yeah I completely agree with your point.

Hello there,

16K RMB per month (single) is not so bad, as you mentioned including the transportation and accommodation, well that all depends on your lifestyle and choices in here. Please check if you have health insurance as well, that will add to your cost, somehow! you'll have plenty of choices anyway.

If you're asking a decent life with that income..YES....
If you don't mind me asking, what will be your work here in China?.....
Savings?....that all depends on how you spend ofcourse....Lots of people might say YES or NO....that'll depends on how you manage living here.

Read more.........Wish you Goodluck! :)

16000RMB is enough for a decent life in Shanghai , Shanghai is a good city for living .  Just go and enjoy yourself , you will like it .  As a freshman in China , i believe 16K RMB is good salary .  Wish you have a nice life in China !:)

yes, a good salary if you are not very particular about life.

It depends on how you live and how much saving is actually "savings" to you.  It will be much more than enough to survive on and live a pretty decent life, but as for saving a lot, don't expect to be able to travel the world for a year after finishing your job.