Actual cost of living KL - Members examples

Hi all,

I often see now and again posts called "Cost of living in KL" and have a tendency reading them. As often as they are informative they are misleading as everyone has a different perspective of what is a reasonable cost of living. Some say RM 3500 for a 2 adult 2 child family is more than enough while others argue RM 15000 will leave you eating breadcrumbs. Having a monthly RM 10000 shopping spree at Isetan I don't see as a necessity and I believe should be left out of the equation.

That said, I think it would be interesting and very instructive if the people already living in KL where willing to share their actual living costs. As a German reader looking for information surely will be more interested in what a fellow European has to say in comparison to what a person from the Middle East has... and vice verse of course, I think a short introduction will be helpful to future readers in narrowing down their search for information.

Ok, I'll go first then. Me and my wife are 33 and 34 and have a soon 6 year old son. We are all Swedish nationals.

Fixed monthly costs:

RM 2800 - 3 bed 2 bath at Laman Baiduri
RM 920 - 2013 Proton Saga FLX on a yearly lease
RM 1500 - Middle class international school
RM 200 - Electric
RM 100 - Astro
RM 130 - Time Internet
RM 300 - Grade A insurance from Pacific Insurance
RM 300 - Junior golf school
RM 100 - Junior swim school

This roughly ads up to RM 6400.

On top of this we as a family spend RM 3500 or less on the remaining variable monthly costs which include, gas, eating out, leisure activities and so on.

I hope this will help someone in the future and I am eager for fellow members in sharing their personal cost table.

Best Regards

Kent

Yes I agree that electricity bill should be RM200 - 300 per month and I also use Pacific Insurance although paying quite a bit more. Pacific is one of the less expensive insurance companies and they have a reputation to pay out fast. I spend about RM1150 per month for Montessori School although I know there are some for just RM700 where many expats leave their kids.

And yes it's true that expats can live very inexpensively, renting an apartment for RM2500 per month and eating out at mamak food and other inexpensive places. Apart from accommodation the big cost would be schooling if your son is already 6 years old.

I send my boy to a state school.. so that's really cheap :) then again after 4 years here he is fluent in malay. Daughter going to preschool cost rm800/month 4 half days. Bought the apartment cost rm600k for 160m2  monthly cost for the loan is 2000+.
Monthly cost for me nowdays is kinda low since already bought most of the stuff needed (car,tv's, fridge, furniture and all such things) and fixed the apartment so i could def get by on 6.5k/month

Thats about right,... even for a middle class Malaysian family LOL

Realistic figures indeed....

However costs might creep up a little by end of the year due to inflation, removal of subsidies and VAT coming in soon...

Regs
Jake

The only trouble is that most people hopelessly under estimate their expenses. They say they only spend 6k earn 12k and then never save anything.

Unlike most people I keep a balance sheet and p&l and even have an actuarial style model for my pension that computes how much salary i earn now needs to be saved now to have an even income post work life.

I only spend 9k a month (10 years ago was 12k a month as I partied more - but then I earnt 30k a month so wasn't a problem) as no kids but eat only local food and party on the cheap infrequently.

Children add a lot to expenses and if I had two now I would need my old salary!