Brazilian Pizza - where is your favorite pizzaria?

http://www.guiadasemana.com.br/system/pictures/2013/6/80196/cropped/pizza-portuguesa.jpgWell as the decendant of an Italian I don't think the pizza here is exactly the same, but nonetheless it can be outstanding when you find the right pizzaria. However, finding a GOOD pizza can sometimes be like playing Russian Roulette.

São Paulo:  Sorry Brazil, Paulistanos really know pizza, they're the hands down winners! I don't care where in the city you go, even the little whole in the wall pizzaria cranks out sensational pizzas. Many even have a wood fired oven which makes the final product taste even better. You're going to be hard pressed to find a bad pizza in Sampa and the vast array of varieties will have your head spinning.

Belo Horizonte: After several years living in Belo Horizonte I gave up on trying to find a decent pizza, just hopeless! Pizzas anywhere that I tried them either had a wafer thin crust that was as hard as a rock or barely cooked at all. Then there were the pizzas (far too many of them) that you could have used to change out the oil on your Jeep Renegade and still have some left over for your Corsa too. If anybody really knows a great pizzaria in BH, please share the information here!!!

Moved to Macaé - RJ almost 2 years ago now and really lucked out. There is a small pizzaria just a few blocks away that turns out what must rank up there as one of the most delicious pizzas in Brazil too. It's certainly on a par with any I had in Sampa. They have a mind boggling array of varieties, but my favorite is Portuguesa. My wife prefers Frango com Catupiri, so to avoid any disharmony at home I usually order a large half and half. I think the only thing that could make their pizza any better would be if they had a "forno a lenha".

So where's your favorite pizzaria and what's your favorite pizza? Post your reply below, giving the name, address and phone number of the pizzaria you'd most recommend.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Totally agree with you here! We've been in BH only 2 months and craving something familiar we tried pizza. The first time we ordered we didn't translate and took a chance on what we thought would be a regular pizza. Now we know regular here, isn't remotely close to what I'm used to from the US. By our next try we knew how to translate tomato sauce (earlier we assumed all pizzas came with that), pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. We got the three ingredients we ordered but you're right it was thin and hard.. Yuck! The third try we gave in and ordered from Dominoes in Savassi, which wasn't too bad, but not great. Now when we crave something familiar, we just go to Subway. Can't go wrong there.

Tchau,
Melody

Hi Melody,

I wouldn't class anything from Dominoes or Pizza Hut as pizza, but even they've got to be more agreeable than something from most of the pizzarias in BH. If I wanted to practice the DISCUS I'd try out for the Olympics, if I needed an oil change on the Chevy I'd go to Texaco or BR not to a pizza joint in Belo Horizonte.

If you do find a decent pizza there please do come back and report to us here, I know you'll have a whole lot of folks in Belo Horizonte forever in your debt! LOL

Cheers,
James