Driving my Vespa to Malta

Hi guys,

I'm planning to bring my Vespa (scooter) to Malta (from Slovenia). I will be driving it to here, since transportation is not very cheap option.

My question is, when I will bring my vespa here, what are the necessary steps that I need to take in order to register it here and get Maltese register plate?

Also, I still have Slovenian driver ID. Where do I need to go in order to get a Maltese one? And what do I need in order to get one here?

Thank you!

It might be more feasible to sell your Vespa and buy a used one from here. You'll save money on fuel and won't have to deal with authorities to get it registered. Just a thought...

Hi,
He is asking for information not for an opnion.

Jorge Lo wrote:

Hi,
He is asking for information not for an opnion.

Hi Jorge,
and welcome to the forum. Interesting first post, one of three you have made (the other two - a double post - on the Italy board giving advice to an American about information on visas in England, and you live in The Hague), however, welcome nonetheless. I'm sure that Rominld0 would be grateful of your input should you care to source the info from this wonderful site (it is all available in there somewhere) and put it up for us all to see...........just my opinion.

Oh! did I say welcome to this wonderful board where fact, advice and opinion are freely offered so that balanced and objective decisions are made?

Mike

romild0 wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm planning to bring my Vespa (scooter) to Malta (from Slovenia). I will be driving it to here, since transportation is not very cheap option.

My question is, when I will bring my vespa here, what are the necessary steps that I need to take in order to register it here and get Maltese register plate?

Also, I still have Slovenian driver ID. Where do I need to go in order to get a Maltese one? And what do I need in order to get one here?

Thank you!

As an EU citizen you are free to bring over your vesper scooter and register it in Malta.
This website gives you the information regarding what to do .....
http://www.transport.gov.mt/search.aspx … cles&lc=en

If your driving licence is an EU driving licence (credit card type) then there is no need to change it when living in another EU  country.

From the EU website....

"From January 19th 2013, all new driving licenses issued across the EU will be in the form of a plastic "credit card," with a standard European format and tougher security protection.
Existing licenses are not affected, but will be changed to the new format at the time of renewal or at the latest by 2033."

Terry

tearnet wrote:

As an EU citizen you are free to bring over your vesper scooter and register it in Malta.

Terry

Amen brother........

as an aside, Terry, I have applied for a job at the Citroen Retro Car Shop in Qrendi but I had to apply twice.

............................they wanted 2 CV's

MikeInPoulton wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

Amen brother........

as an aside, Terry, I have applied for a job at the Citroen Retro Car Shop in Qrendi but I had to apply twice.

............................they wanted 2 CV's

:lol:

If your driving licence is an EU driving licence (credit card type) then there is no need to change it when living in another EU  country.

From the EU website....

"From January 19th 2013, all new driving licenses issued across the EU will be in the form of a plastic "credit card," with a standard European format and tougher security protection.
Existing licenses are not affected, but will be changed to the new format at the time of renewal or at the latest by 2033."

Terry

That's great piece of info Terry, thank you! However, I have one additional question... Our law in Slovenia require you to change the address on your Passport and ID card with the your new address in new country. So, I have my new passport and ID card with local address on Malta already, but not the driving license ID (which btw I already have in "credit card" format). Can this be a problem if I'm stopped by traffic control/police?  Because, I cannot change the address on Slovenian driving license, the laws says I have to apply for new driver license in the country where I"m moving to... Which is stupid, since the EU law says I can keep my EU driving license if i have one...

So I really don't know what to do in this case?

romild0 wrote:

From the EU website....

Terry

That's great piece of info Terry, thank you! However, I have one additional question... Our law in Slovenia require you to change the address on your Passport and ID card with the your new address in new country. So, I have my new passport and ID card with local address on Malta already, but not the driving license ID (which btw I already have in "credit card" format). Can this be a problem if I'm stopped by traffic control/police?  Because, I cannot change the address on Slovenian driving license, the laws says I have to apply for new driver license in the country where I"m moving to... Which is stupid, since the EU law says I can keep my EU driving license if i have one...

So I really don't know what to do in this case?

This is from Transport Malta website regarding EU  driving licence....

" Any holder of a European Union driving licence, a Swiss or an Australian driving licence issued by a Swiss or an Australian State and Territory licensing authorities, who takes up normal residence in Malta, shall be entitled to have his driving licence exchanged for an equivalent Maltese licence.

European Union driving licences shall be recognised in Malta as long as they are valid in country of issuance. "

It will depend on the law in Slovenia regarding a change of address but changing to  a Maltese licence is easy and you can always change back if you move!

Terry

thanks for you input! This was really helpful!  :top:

However, I am i bit confused now... because, this is from Malta law:

In order to exchange your Driving licence issued by the authorised licensing authorities of any EU/EAA Member State, Swiss or an Australian State and Territory to a Maltese driving licence, you must have been living in Malta for at least 185 days in the last year, otherwise the exchange of licence cannot be effected.

Meaning I must be a resident of Malta for at least 185 days in order to be able to apply for Maltese drivers license exchange (but I'm living here for a few weeks only now).

On the other hand, Slovenian law says I must exchange my current driving license (if I changed my address) withing 30 days :D

So, I'm somehow stuck between this two laws :D

Any advice? :)

Thank you!

romild0 wrote:

thanks for you input! This was really helpful!  :top:

However, I am i bit confused now... because, this is from Malta law:

In order to exchange your Driving licence issued by the authorised licensing authorities of any EU/EAA Member State, Swiss or an Australian State and Territory to a Maltese driving licence, you must have been living in Malta for at least 185 days in the last year, otherwise the exchange of licence cannot be effected.

Meaning I must be a resident of Malta for at least 185 days in order to be able to apply for Maltese drivers license exchange (but I'm living here for a few weeks only now).

On the other hand, Slovenian law says I must exchange my current driving license (if I changed my address) withing 30 days :D

So, I'm somehow stuck between this two laws :D

Any advice? :)

Thank you!

EU law says your licence is valid, if stopped by the wardens in Malta and they query it (which I doubt) just explain that you have not been in Malta more than six months.

Terry

EU law says your licence is valid, if stopped by the wardens in Malta and they query it (which I doubt) just explain that you have not been in Malta more than six months.

Terry

Thanks for your help!  :top: