Logistics n cargo business

Hi
I am currently working in Dubai and planning to move to Malaysia and start own business of freight forwarding, cargo , logistics, maybe in Klang since it is near the port.
The problem is that I don't have local Malaysian market knowledge n cliental.  Appreciate if anyone can assist.
Cheers

First you need to make an investment and set up a company and get an employment visa. If you own the company 100% you have to invest RM1m into the company (i.e. minimum 2 shareholders who each put in RM500k).  Although you can withdraw this to pay expenses, it has to be present in the balance sheet when the report and accounts are done.

You have to pay yourself a salary of at least RM5K per month to get the work visa and pay tax at 20% to 26% (the higher figure is if you are classed as non tax resident and working less than 182 days in any calendar year in Malaysia). Business taxation is another matter which can be investigated at the HASIL website.

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/malaysia … oreigners/

Asia has a long history in the freight forwarding industry and it is a competitive industry. Foreigners are not permitted to operate businesses that involve the movement of freight within Malaysia, nor are they able to operate storage and warehousing services. Local authority operating licences are issued for all business activities.

Hi Gravitas,
Thanks for your informations, I have received same info from an other friend as well, my confusion is :

Where to open the office? Klang ? KL? Johar Bahru?
Will it be continent to move from Dubai to Malaysia ?

Regards

Good to hear you are aware of terms. I think Klang Valley/KL or Penang would be preferred locations to reside. But of course Johor may be good to pick up business from Singapore.

Thanks again, so your 1st choice is johar n 2nd Klang. Correct me if I am wrong.
Can you assist with approx rent n location for office n residence.

I used to be Sales Manager for CC Group Shipping & Cargo company in Hong Kong in the late 1980's until they fired me at the end of the probation period. But I am an expert in shipping and import/export, L/C's etc. My recommendation is to get a local partner.

Hi surely the shipping industry is rather in the doldrums still? Very cheap. And loads of agents around Malaysia fighting for business. A risky move if you don't know the local market. Expats I came across do make money in shipping, but they worked here first then set up business. If you don't have an edge in an over capacity market operating in a foreign market? Makes me think of how M&S tried to sell sandwiches in France :lol: and one big company I know that tried the US and it went really bad as they didn't realise costing of big projects in USA include variation orders for free, and very low margins. They were stung for 100 millions of USD simply as they assumed that UK same business practice as USA. And Sainsbury did it in US and got burnt. Carrfour bellied up here and sold out here eventually. So many examples of "didn't know the culture"

Thanks guys.
My problem is also same that I don't know Malaysian market though I am well experienced in shipping n cargo business.
Will it work if I hire few locals for sales n marketing?

Regards

Yes of course it will work. If you have the finance to start a business then go ahead and hire a General Manager to help you do things and of course a Sales staff.