The other side of the Turkish postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Turkey, how would you describe the two sides of your Turkish postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

I never intended to work in Turkey; I never intended to even visit Turkey.  I am sure that  having no preconceptions assisted me a  great deal to walk in and have a more open mind as to what to expect from the culture and my work environment. 
I tend to compare my working life here to working in Saudi, China and Russia simply as they were my point of reference when it comes to working as an esl teacher abroad.  For me, it has been a positive experience.  I have been paid on time and touch wood so far the school has delivered on their promises. They do not stick you in an apartment you would not feel at home in and they do consider if it is convenient to get to work.  General day to day things are easier as the general culture is helpful. I have not been cheated by taxi drivers, shop keepers are quite willing to strain thru body language and my own frustrations, when you need help with finding a bus or getting somewhere you will get the locals trying to put you on the right path.  For me being able to find food items that make it possible to cook home food and experience local cuisine has been the best.  Working abroad I do need to connect to home, and there is very view items you can't get or make yourself.
For the negative, there is a lack of support when it comes to day to day things, as the school doesn't really consider the everyday things that you might not be able to do when not speaking the language.  (getting help when your sick, visa assistance ect) They still push Turkish papers in my hand and expect me to sign it, and look genuinely surprised if you tell them, hey how you can ask me to sign it if I can't read it.  I am baffled as to how companies get foreign people to work for them and then make not attempt to communicate important organizational changes with us working for them in English.  I would get to class and there are no students, and nobody thought of informing the teachers.  I have experienced a total lack of communication, and this is not related to a language barrier as the school has a huge English department.   It seems like here nobody questions anything, you accept whatever management suggests and then moan about it behind managements back and persevere thru whatever they feel unfair or difficult.    This can make working rather challenging it seems the locals wait for the foreigners to make the noise to they don't stand out too much.  I suppose the most challenging thing I found is that once the school decides something they simply don't budge.  For example at one time I had to spend 6 hours a day waiting for my next class, I was not allowed to leave, I was expected to sit in the school and wait.  Keep in  mind this is a langue school there are no students asking questions, no  parents to meet there is absolutely nothing for you to do other than wait.  I still find this very difficult.  Having to sit there for no reason at all, a room full of teachers staring at each other, watching movies. 

What I do appreciate is the support from the school when it comes to parents of impossible children. They try their best to listen to all parties and navigate thru issues.  This is new, and refreshing as  a esl teacher.  There are some elements I wish the esl environment here would embrace,  more communication with parents, teachers.  Demo lessons actual marketing. To days off as a rule for all staff and not just one, pay slips, help without having to ask for it when needing medical help.  But then you can't change or have everything. 

I would still with all these negatives rather work in Turkey than Saudi, Russia or China.  I accept that some of my issues might only be related with the school I work for, and that other schools might have less or more issues.  Working abroad for me has become a search for finding the school with the problems you can live with not the one that doesn't have any at all, it simply does not exist.

Beautiful country, good food, smiles.

Backside of the postcard: living in a military state.