The other side of the Italian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Italy, how would you describe the two sides of your Italian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Electric companies. There's interesting paragraph in your bills called "servizi di rete", which means charges for network servise to deliver electricity to you. To my surpise, cost of this part of the bill not only very close to actually consumed kW/h's, but actually often exceeds it - for example, for december and january I'll have to pay 130 euro for electricity itself and 170 (!!!) for servizi di rete. There's no change to that and this number is always proportional to your kWh's cost. And if you use solar batteries, it is becoming... worse, because now company considers you to be a rich person who can afford solar batteries, so your "servizi di rete" skyrockets. It is my situation exactly, because actually, as I said, usualy it's slightly lower. Enel, or Edison, or any other company you try to switch to - doesn't matter, they have a cartel agreement between them.

Consider that in the italian house you most likely won't have central heating, therefore will have to use air conditioning instead. Condies eat energy like troll eats sheeps, and here you go checking your energy plan. In most cases your house limited to 3 kWts, because you'll have to pay much more for bigger span, and in that case another unexpected fun awaits you. As long as you forget to switch off your conditioner when switching on something else, like teapot or water heater (didn't I tell you that there's no boilers here?), you'll immediately have a funny experience of search for the tumbler in the dark (+10 fun points if it's outside of the house). In the end you becoming a little paranoid about electic stuff, constantly checking if everything switched off and using home appliances in turns to avoid blackout.

So... yeah. But man, I love Italy.

So... yeah. But man, I love Italy.

And this is the most important point, isn't it ? :) thanks for your post

Hey guys !

For us, what was a shock was that, being Canadian, our driving permit was good for 1 year.
Afterward you have to pass the entire course to get your Italian driving permit (Patente).
There is no equivalency for Americans. Only for the people of the EU is it easy to transfer !!!
The roads or streets in all of Europe are very narrow, sometime large enough for only 1 car
and you meet other cars constantly. And you realise early that Europeans drive way too fast.

But ! We live in Trento, north of Italy, and the buses and trains are more than sufficient to get
us anywhere. If too far, like when we went to Greece, airfare are very reasonable if you check
it on the Internet. And finally I have started something very un-American since I have been here...
We walk to everywhere in the city we need to go because the distances are not like in North
America. Where in Canada you drive 8 hours from Montreal to Toronto and you are still in
Canada. In Europe in 8 hours depending where you live, you can pass 8 different countries !

I love Trento ! Being from Montreal, especially during winter because we had snow on the City
ground only 3 times and it had disappeared after a short week each time. But when I leave my
house the mountains are all covered in snow. That is what I call the Dolce Vita !!! I <3 ITALIA !

Alora Ciao and I hope it is at least a bit informative

The interesting in italy is the places and culture....

From solely a legal perspective, the two sides of the postcard can be even more extreme than most:  Let's have the bad news first.  Moving to Italy can be a huge culture shock, waiting for banks to open, people insisting that you pay cash for everything and non-existant contracts.  Many expats experience nightmarish house buying experiences, with hidden costs and nobody representing their legal interests during the whole process.  Buying off plan has extreme risks and many expats sign contracts in Italian without fully understanding what they're really signing up for, cases exist of the builder (even the whole company) disappearing without a trace and running off with the deposit money.  With a bit of common sense and support it doesn't all have to be doom and gloom.

If you search for your property in the worst season, the chances are you'll be bowled over by the beauty of Italy when Spring and Summer come around. Living in Italy as an expat means you'll be subjucted to daily challenges but also those of the fun kind, the Sagras, Festas, deciding where to have your morning cappuccino or the late night pizza.  You'll forge friendships better than those you had in the UK and with friends who share an enjoyment of the good things in life.  The longer you live in Italy the less difficult things will seem, you will find your own network of trusted professionals and people to help you.  Things will move along slowly but they will happen.  From a legal perspective I have seen some bitter endings but also the sweet satisfaction that can only be enjoyed thanks to the challenge of life in Italy.

Martina brought an interesting fact...
Italy is the World Champion of bureaucratie. They have so many level of Government Agencies that needs 'all' your information. And they are so afraid that you will not pay your due on everything they think that should be taxed that it is strangely disturbing. But what get to me is that none of them communicate with each others.....
I was not a patient man before I got in Italy. Now ! I laugh it off - It help staying sane.

And like she said... Once you have been around a bit. the Italian are really friendly. Even the ones at the Government Agencies. They will help you all the way they can.

You learn quickly where to shop because some places have 2 prices. 1 for Italians and another price for Tourist.
If ever you find out that the prices are not the same the famous excuse, I have heard most, is that "it's a the printer's fault". Because they would never cheat you !!! LOL

But like I said... Once an Italian likes you, you feel so much at home here. There is this feeling of belonging.

A lot of the Italians, in my area, wants a chance to practice their English, so much, that we have to refuse some invitations. And the funniest part is when you meet people who are not Italian but from other countries and the only thing you have in common with them is starting to talk in Italian, it makes for some interesting evenings...
Thank God for phone translator and small pocket dictionary.......

Ciao Tutti !!!

Interesting country, taxwise!