The other side of the Honduran postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Honduras, how would you describe the two sides of your Honduran postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hey Julian. I,m no longer in Honduras, but much farther south. For what it,s worth, one side of the postcard was the beauty of the sea. I dive and fish. The other side was every problem a country could have. I thinj Honduras even invented some new ones. If you want to dive and live cheap..go for it. But remember where you live cheap life is usually cheap, too. Bets regards...bob

Honduras is a beautiful country with many natural treasures like magnificent Mayan ruins, old colonial cities, mysterious jungles and cloud forests and mountain vistas everywhere. Wildlife is everywhere. The people for the most part are beautiful. They will welcome you into their homes and assist you in any way they can. The language and cultural differences prevent boredom and provide diversity and entertainment for a foreigner if you aren't too "Type 'A'". Potential is everywhere here and it is cheaper to live, especially on the mainland..

The flip side of this picture is that Honduras is a poor, undeveloped country. Education levels among the general populace are low and as a result growth is limited. Finding skilled labour and management is a challenge.Crime in the big cities is rampant although seldom against foreigners. One needs to use a generous dose of common sense though. Corruption at every level is to be found. It isn't always a bad thing though. It can often work to your benefit and others as well. Much of it we find in First World countries tool but we disguise it under other names. Systems tend to be poorly developed which can slow things down.

Because of its beauty and physical detachment from the mainland, Roatan is a step up from the mainland in many areas. It is much more an island in the Caribbean than Honduras so for many people it is an easier and safer transition to Central America. It is cleaner, safer, primarily English speaking and culturally more similar to North America than the mainland.

How this affects you depends on your reason for moving here. If it is to retire early and enjoy life then the frustrations are limited and the pleasures are many. If it is to run a business then these issues can be frustrating and your mental set, approach and expectations need to be adjusted.

Wherever your ticket takes you, attitude is everything. It will be different here. Accept and appreciate that. If everything was the same as "back home" what would be the point in moving here? Learn to adapt and embrace the changes. The learning experience should be invigorating more than frustrating. It is all about attitude. Adjust it before you even get on the plane and you will love this place!

Honduras is a beautiful country with warm people. There are so many reasons to visit. I have never been to Roatan, so my comments are strictly mainland. I see such "potential", but I have found that it takes patience and effort to adjust to the differences between Honduras and my American experience.
I am always cautious no matter where I go, but that doesn't mean I am constantly in fear for my life. I choose areas in the US based on perceived safety and Honduras is no different. I dress conservatively and use common sense and try not to attract a lot of attention when in public.
The other side of the postcard for me is the "system".  There is OFTEN no consistency in how things get done or how long it will take. There is a "gringo" factor in getting things done and it often will cost you a little more, depending on how well you are known, trusted and liked in the area. That's probably not much different than here either. I actually learn to let go of my "control freak" nature when I am there. I find it makes things go much smoother.
Now, If they could only do something about the lack of "greens" in the diet....iceberg lettuce? REALLY?!
I am looking forward to my next trip. My Spanish needs exercise. :)