The other side of the Antiguan postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Antigua and Barbuda, how would you describe the two sides of your Antiguan postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

We spent the month of January at J olly Harbour as a test.  We plan on permanently moving in about 18 months.  I'm retired, so I know nothing about working there. 

The only complaints are the sand fleas (noseeums), small portions at the restaurants, all the dogs in the no-pets-allowed J olly Harbour villas, and beggars who, instead of saying thanks, telling me to give them more.  The locals aren't especially friendly but they are direct and to-the-point.  Which is fine by me.  Everything cost more by US standards, but seem to be about the same as UK pricing. 
Taxis are reasonable, busses are good and cheap.  We won't need to buy a car.  Maybe rent one now and then to tour the island or take guests around.  But with cell phones, one just has to call a known cabbie and he'll come get you right away.