Question about Transportation and Housing in Beijing

In Late August/September I will be coming to Beijing to conduct research.  I am expecting to live in the city for 1 or 2 years.  I've taken two years of Mandarin at University, however I know that isn't going to be nearly enough to interact on more than a superficial level, so I've taken steps to enroll at Tsinghua University for their year-long language program.

Currently I'm trying to decide where best to find an apartment in Beijing.  I know that Tsinghua is in the Haidian district, however many of my current research contacts are in the Dongcheng area. 

It would prefer it if I could live in the Dongcheng area, but I wanted to know if that would be realistic, given the need to be on Tsinghua's campus each day.  Can anyone tell me about the speed or efficiency of public transportation?  How long would it take at rush hour to get to and from those areas?  Should I just find a place in Haidian?

Thanks!

Hi,

Actually Tsinghua and Dongcheng is quite a long distance. If you have to work in Tsinghua, living close to Tsinghua would be the most convenient for you due to the terrible traffic.

As for Dongcheng, there're plenty bars, nice restaunrants and expats living in Dongcheng and Chaoyang district, but you may take subway everyday.

If you need apt in Dongcheng or Chaoyang district, i can give you professional help. you can send me email at [email protected].

In truth,if you selecte live in dongcheng,it will take you lots of time everyday in transportation.
I advise you rent a apartment near Tsinghua.A single apartment's rent per mounth is about 1500rmb there.
If you need any help,you can email me at [email protected]'m glad to help you.

Thank you both for your help!  This has given me some things to think about.  Once my schedule for the year materializes a little more I think I'll be comfortable making a decision about where to live.

hi,you mean you will conduct research while studying mandrin in Tsinghua University?I think it would be hard for u to do them at the same time.I suggest u learn mandrin from your colleagues and from everyday life.