Salary advice needed!!.thanks

Hi all,
I have just been offered a position in Doha with QAR 35,000 being the take home salary + flight allowance. I want to know whether the money is enough to live comfortably ?
can anybody provide me a rough breakdown of expenses in relation to the house rent, utilities, cars,etc

A bit of background about me, I was born in the UK but did most of my education in France. I have 17 years of working experience.
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

:)

Ive been to jeddah ksa, and now abu dhabi uae, monetary value is almost the same, but ive never been to doha. supposing if your here in abu dhabi you can live comfortably with that salary, try to google the flat rents on that specific area of the city.

Hi, so take home means you will get housing, transportation, education allowance?  If you don't need to pay any of these things, that salary is very good.  I wouldn't have any problem.

But if you need to pay housing, etc from that salary, it's a bit different story.

First of all, if you have any kids and need to stay in good compound, you need at least 13,000 ryal, I think.  I am also trying to find good place for us to live in a couple of month, but my hub's housing doesn't cover that.  If you are alone and don't really need big place, one bed room apartment in good area will be around 10,000-12,000. 

Utility is cheap.  I don't think you need more than 1000ryal, I think.  Some places include all that in your rent.

Car, if you think you need to buy good car with full insurance, you need to pay around 60,000 + for SUV.  I heard if you are not Qatari and if the car is more than 5 years old, you won't get full insurance. So if you are very concern about driving, you need to get newish car.  That's another thing I don't like.  Why only Qatari gets full insurance for old car?! 

For food, it's upto you how you want to live.  I found if you want to shop at good western supermarket, it's easy to spend money.  Some fresh vegi is very expensive.  Only the things impressed me is dairy food.  I am now in NZ, but found NZ milk is more expensive than Doha!! 

Petrol is cheap as you can imagine.  I think it's around 25c US per liter. But for Qatari, I heard it's free!! 

I can say that Doha is perhaps one of the most expensive city to live in Middle east.  Especially housing!!

Hope this info helps you...

All the best!

Take home means I have included every allowances together with the basic salary.

I am single and therefore will not have any schooling expenses.. The only thing I will need is to rent an apartment 1br preferable or room sharing in good location,hire a car ,utilities and pay for food.

Based on these circumstances , Can I still save a bit and have a comfortable life there?

Ok.  If you are single, I think it's not too bad.  If you don't mind to share the apartment, there are a couple of places which is less than 10k.  For the car, if you don't mind to have a second hand and not SUV, then you can get it for 20k-40k.

At the beginning, you might need some money for bond, commission for agent to start renting the place, of course if you can find privately it'll cost less.  Most of people go through agent though.  Be careful also, their ads says unfurnished means there are absolutely nothing in it even toilet roll holder!!  So you must ask the agent or manager what comes with it.

Very popular area is Westbay, and there are heaps of apartment around there.  You can go to Qatar living website, ( just google ' Qatar living')

Good luck!

Can anybody else currently living in Qatar,please give me their views/opinions..the two comments received seem to be contradictory

I need to decide quite soon whether to sign the preliminary non binding acceptance letter.. Thanking u guys in advance..

Bless ;)

Its an average salary out here, accommodation is very expensive out here. Apartments/Villas cost approx 9-14K a month minus bills. So obviously on your salary and the fact you are single you really should consider shared accommodation. This can vary from 5K-7K a month all inclusive.

Traffic is really bad here, they are doing their best to expand but the population entering is too much and too fast in relation to construction; what I'm trying to say is you really need to consider areas of living close to work. Work starts around 7am-ish so if you're thinking of beating the early morning traffic, you have to get up seriously early!

If your take home pay is 35K, consider 7K + 2.2-2.5K (car rental - not SUV/4x4) gone straight away. 1 flight back home and private medical is standard out here. Note you have to pay an excess charge every time you go hospital tho.

Food costs are entirely upto you how much you spend, Its an OK salary to be honest for a single guy and is worth considering. But once you are out here that salary is pretty much what you will remain on, climbing the company ladder is not as widely common out here as compared to the West.

You will be able to live comfortably and have savings on that salary, particularly if you share accommodation.  If you get your own place this will obviously reduce your disposable income but you can find nice single bedroom places for 8k if you are out of town, and probably closer to 12k for relatively good locations.  You can obviously go a lot higher than this for central West Bay locations.

It is worth trying to negotiate as there is generally some lee way on offers out here, and it is true that promotion prospects are definitely not as good as back in the UK.

I'm living in Doha ,
I'm telling you take it  it"s good offer and good luck + nice country and you'll enjoy the life here ;)

Rony :)

Does any one know what is the salary of entry level pharmacist in hamad medical corporation? Please reply me as soon as possible. Thanks