New members of the Cayman Islands forum, introduce yourself here

Hi All, Nice to E-meet you.

I have moved to Grand Cayman from London a few weeks ago and looking to connect with great people.

Drop me a line
Best
Diana

Hi there, are there any areas a family should avoid living in? My husband will be working in  Georgetown and I will be home with a newborn and a 2 and a half year old. Looking for a place/area that's family friendly, walking distance to  amenities, and reasonable rent.

Hello,

I am a self employed Graphic Designer in the UK and the family will be moving next year as my husband had been offered a job in the Caymans.

Can I transfer my UK Limited company to the Caymans or is it better to close my UK company and open up a new company in the Caymans? (it is just me in this company).

Can I remain self employed in the Caymans or would I have to be employed by another company?

Thanks

Good afternoon, My name is Craig, I'm from Chicago, IL, USA and looking to relocate to Grand Cayman! I am new to expat.com so I am trying to navigate this page! I was just offered a job near West Bay on Grand Cayman and I'm looking for housing information. Please reach out.

Having lived in Cayman for forty years, I'm always willing to give out general info. However, many of the enquirers are too vague in their wants, and they need to give more information in their posts. 

Laitng: what do you mean by "amenities"? Who will your husband be working for, and roughly how much will his salary be? What do you call a "reasonable" rent? And so on...

Craig, you too. What is your job, and what does it pay? and, come on: "Housing information"!!? What does that mean, and can you be more specific?

Betty. I don't know the answer to your question - but why do you need to know, before you arrive? Are you currently paying tax on your company's profits? If so, how much tax? (Meaning, is it worth while trying to avoid it?)

I've said before that "Cayman Resident" online magazine is a good source of info on these Islands. Enquirers should ALWAYS check there before posting here. Go for it.

Hello, Thank you for your reply. I would be moving to the island last week of January or first week of February.

The job is a sales job near Governors Square off of Esterlay Tibbetts Hwy paying a small salary + commission, let's say $3,000usd monthly. 

Housing information I am looking for is: places to find residential rental properties under $1000 per month near West Bay, Seven Mile, or Georgetown for a single male, no dependants.

When I research online from the states, I mainly see vacation or short term rentals for over $2500 and not longer term residential rentals. I wasn't sure if It would be best to speak with a realtor for rentals or if there were websites that would yield better results.

I visited the island for 4 days and returned last Friday but stayed on seven mile and didn't venture off to look at local rentals.

I appreciate the help.

craigbliss wrote:

The job is a sales job near Governors Square off of Esterly Tibbetts Hwy paying a small salary + commission, let's say $3,000usd monthly. 

Housing information I am looking for is: places to find residential rental properties under $1000 per month near West Bay, Seven Mile, or Georgetown for a single male, no dependants.

When I research online from the states, I mainly see vacation or short term rentals for over $2500 and not longer term residential rentals. I wasn't sure if It would be best to speak with a realtor for rentals or if there were websites that would yield better results.

I visited the island for 4 days and returned last Friday but stayed on seven mile and didn't venture off to look at local rentals.

Oh dear. You're cutting pretty close to the bone, Craig. You'll probably have to share, to get anything decent for less than $1000 p.m., on your own. Certainly a rental agency would be your best bet - at least until you can get hold of a Friday "Compass" newspaper. Have you asked your employer for some help finding a place?

Hi, Is it possible to freelance in The Caymans? Im currently a Freelance Graphic Designer in the UK and would like to continue doing this when I move to Caymans later this year. Do i also have to have some kind of employment in Caymans to live there?

What is the traffic like? and what are the best schools for a 5 and 7 year old?

Thanks

BJO

Hello!
Yes I pay tax on my business in UK and no I am not trying to avoid it! I just want to know if I can carry on beng self employed in Caymans or do I have to be officially employed by a Caymanian business to be able to live there with my family.
Thank you for your time!

Betty J40 wrote:

Yes I pay tax on my business in UK and no I am not trying to avoid it! I just want to know if I can carry on being self employed in Caymans or do I have to be officially employed by a Caymanian business to be able to live there with my family.

Your husband's employer will be able to tell him how many dependents he may bring to live with him. (The number depends on his salary.) If you don't have a job, you will be a dependent. To get a job, you must have a Work Permit from an employer. To be self-employed and doing business in Cayman in competition with any Caymanian, you would need a Trade & Business Licence - which you probably wouldn't get. Again, your husband's employer should know this. Most employers here are quite helpful in respect of dependent spouses; and they are bound to be more up to date with the regulations than I am. Ask your old man to grab his boss by the throat and force him to be nice!

If you have in mind to work on line with overseas clients, that should be OK. I think.

Here is a private message just in from MartaVMoreno, which I am posting here so that others in the same boat will read my reply:
Hiiii, we are two spanish girls who want to find a job in Cayman Island.
How did you find a job? We don´t mather the city to live in the Island but we only  want to know how did you do it.
Thank you so much, we hope your answer.

How I got my job is not relevant, since it happened forty years ago! The first thing you have to do is read "Cayman Resident", which is available online. Also, read all the posts in this Cayman section, and come back to me with specific questions. Good luck.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751288

Thanks!

Closed