New members of the Vanuatu forum, introduce yourself here

1.  My son and I are U.S. citizens, but my wife is Vietnamese (she does have an American green card, though).  Will this be a problem with resident permits?

There seem to be no issues with nationality when getting residency in Vanuatu.  There are criteria you need to meet financially though.

2.  Given my background teaching and writing and my wife's business experience, will we have a hard time finding work?

There is a website called Wokikik, it lists most of the available jobs in Vanuatu.  Browse through these and put in some apps before you move to gauge interest in your particular skills?

3.  I know that fruits and vegetables grow easily there, but that it hardly matters because these items are inexpensive in the local markets.  But what about meat and dairy?  We don't eat out a lot, but we do cook.

One of the things I struggled with in Vanuatu was the lack of variety with fresh produce.  The fruit and veg at the markets is quite cheap when it is in season but after a while the same old bananas, coconuts, sweet potato and beans pall a little :p
Growing is seasonal and the seasons can be quite short over there for most fruits.  It depends where you are on the island to what you will be able to grow in your own garden.
Imported fruit and veg are very expensive, even frozen varieties.

Beef is very cheap compared to Australia (most cuts around the 1200vt per kilo) but I don't know how it will compare to the US. 
Lamb, pork and chicken are quite expensive.
Dairy is one of the most expensive things to buy there as it is imported and subject to import taxes.  No fresh milk (uht only at about 250vt per litre), specialty cheese like brie, blue or feta average 5000vt a kilo.  Even a basic cheddar will be about 2000vt per kilo.  Sour cream 1000vt for a large tub.  Whipping cream (uht) 1000vt a litre.  Yoghurt 300vt for a small tub.

I have not used the schools though I have many friends with children that are happy with the schools (there are both French and English schools and fees are similar to Australian private school education).  The general consensus is that the schools are great for younger children but many expats send their children to Australia or New Zealand for boarding school in the later years.

Someone else might like to answer regarding the hospital.  I did not need medical care in my years there but when I first asked about doctors and hospitals I was told "feel the pain, get the plane" ;)

Thanks for the reply.  That's about what I was expecting, though I would have thought there was more variety of fruit / vegetables and it would be easier to grow them all season.  A little disappointed about schools, but our son is very young still, so don't have to worry about it quite yet.  I'm still pretty pumped about checking out the island.  Can't wait!

Hi everyone,

I'm a Filipino that is currently living in Vanuatu. I look forward to chatting with people here.

How do you like Vanuatu?  Which island are you on?  My wife and I are considering moving there.

Hi, I am Miriama and i teach in a secondary school.In the last two years I taught in Tuvalu and am Interested if there are teaching vacancies available there in my field, I have taught for more then 15 years ...looking forward

My name is karen - I am 56, my dad has just passed away and I am wanting to expand my life.

I have been to Vanuatu quite a few times and just love the people and the island.

I would like to live and work there. 

Skills - Great sales person.

Very fast and efficient audio or copy typist.  (once worked for Department of Foreign Affairs in Canberra)

Just wanting to know if there is every positions for someone like me, where I can be a typist, secretary or PA, so that I can live and work over in Vanuatu.  (Definitely my dream come true - the only thing on my bucket list.

Can anyone help with this, or am I just dreaming.  Karen

Hi everyone.

My name is Keetah and I am a South African. We have been living in Vanuatu for five months now.

I am very keen on making a better life for my daughter here as it is so much safer than home.
I hope to use this forum to meet new friends, find a good job and settle into the life of Vanuatu.
Thank you for excepting me. :)

Hello.  I also plan to move to Vanuatu with my family.  How do you like it so far?  How is the job search going?  What field are you in, and what did you do back in South Africa?

Best of luck with your move!

Hello everyone,

Welcome to  :)

@ vanuatucurious, to whom are your questions intended to ?

The member might not be knowing that you are asking him in particular as there are so many members on this thread.

Best of luck,

Hello Eagle,

I also plan to move to Vanuatu with my family.  How do you like it so far?  How is the job search going?  What field are you in, and what did you do back in South Africa?

Best of luck with your move!

Thank you for the advice.  I will address my posts to someone in specific from now on.  How do you like Vanuatu?  How long have you lived there?  What do you do?

Bhavna is an administrator on this forum and is not in Vanuatu.

I've been to Vanuatu before and it was awesome the people they're so nice,so I'm looking forward to being offered a job of any kind thank you😍

Hi I'm Sharon
Born and bred in the land of Oz. Partner of 20 years passed away from cancer in January he had been ill for a year and I cared for him until the last 12 hours of his life. I took myself to Hideaway Island for a couple of weeks to try to figure out what I was going to do. I am a RN currently employed in a leading cancer hospital so not sure if returning there will be the best choice I can make. While I was in Vanuatu I purchased two blocks of land in north Efate. Two of my adult daughters are already deciding what to pack for the move. The other three kids want to come for holidays. I just need to build etc. No pressure. Need to find out so much it is quite daunting. But one day at a time will get it done.

My deepest sympathy for your loss and all that proceeded.
If you want to talk to some beautiful people in Mele Area (10min outside Port Vila) I can provide details.
They are an ex AUST & ex  KIWI who run local clinics for the people and also the Vanuatu Amputee Society.
Julie is a RN and Michael is a Psychologist among many, many, other things.
They are both fantastic down to earth people who absolutely love Vanuatu and the Ni-Van people.

Vanuatu is a beautiful place and just the place to realign your life.

best wishes

Thank you very much Kevin.

Hi All,

I've just moved here to Port Vila with work last month and wouldn't mind meeting/getting to know people and have a look around the place and also maybe join a club or something.

Hi everyone, My name is Glenn I retired from Primary school teaching at the end of last year My brother and his family have moved here to start a new tourist attraction I have come over for a holiday for a month and have ended up buying 2 blocks close by his land  to provide accommodation for his attraction. I am about to head back to the Gold Coast and sell everything up and come back and live here permanently  A short stay in this beautiful place has lead to a complete change of direction in my life My next thing I need help with is finding a trusted company to build  bungalows and  accommodation . I would appreciate  your advice and guidence. Thanks Glenn.

Hi Glenn
Congratulations on the move.
While there are many expats running building companies you would be best advised to ask around about who built what.
Check out some of the recent builds,e.g. island Magic
A good tip is whatever timeline you are given add 1 or 2 months to actually have job completed.You could enquire at VanuaDesean(not sure of spelling but it means Vanuatu Design) We bought an existing property so Im not much help sorry.Exactly where are you intending to build?

I have bought 2 blocks out on Napow Point. Hoping to build bungalows there soon.
Thanks for your advice and have a great day.

Questions and answers about Vanuatu

Ask your question
Your best business development ideas in Vanuatu
By Priscilla
Ness Johnston
Adoption in Vanuatu - advice needed
By Ness Johnston
Are you happy in Vanuatu?
By Priscilla
Child Care
By raymond.singh
Dealing with homesickness in Vanuatu
By Priscilla

Expatriate health insurance in Vanuatu

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vanuatu

Moving to Vanuatu

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vanuatu

Travel insurance in Vanuatu

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vanuatu

Flights to Vanuatu

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vanuatu