New members of the New Zealand forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the New Zealand forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in New Zealand if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello! I've been in Wellington for a year or so now but haven't met a lot of people yet! (Apart from work related people!) so I'd quite fancy to meet some new friends here on this site! Anyone on the same boat? How are you finding meeting people in nz?

Hi Folks!

My boyfriend and I moved to New Zealand from Canada in September and after spending the first 6 weeks exploring the country, we have settled into Wellington, working full-time and taking every spare moment to get out and enjoy the outdoors. We've really enjoyed the amazing tramping network in New Zealand and have been addicted to the Great Walks. We've already completed 6 of 9 and and plan to complete all within the year. We have also explored a great deal of the country already so if you're looking for some great tips on things to see and do and to read our story check out the links below from our blog Living a Kiwi Life. We've even created a web series with footage from our adventures so be sure to check those out too to get a real feel for the experience. Feel free to contact us with any questions or if you have any suggestions for things to see and do or great tramps let us know!

Jenna & Jordan

Living a Kiwi Life Blog
http://livingakiwilife.blogspot.co.nz/

Web Series
http://livingakiwilife.blogspot.co.nz/s … bel/Videos

Interactive Travel Map
http://livingakiwilife.blogspot.ca/2014 … l-map.html

20 FREE activities in New Zealand
http://livingakiwilife.blogspot.ca/2014 … aland.html

Moving to New Zealand
http://livingakiwilife.blogspot.ca/sear … %20to%20NZ

Good day, I am a Malaysian, born 1961, going to 53 this year wish to relocate to New Zealand together with my wife and 3 children, planning to start a small business is the only way for me to get the Long Term Business Visa so I do need advised on how and what i must do..  Thanks

Jonathan

Plasticman118 wrote:

Good day, I am a Malaysian, born 1961, going to 53 this year wish to relocate to New Zealand together with my wife and 3 children, planning to start a small business is the only way for me to get the Long Term Business Visa so I do need advised on how and what i must do..  Thanks

Jonathan

For visa information and applications www.immigration.govt.nz

Hallo people, We moved out to NZ  in 2012 to retire and to be with both our sons who live out here. We live on the South island about 140k away from Christchurch. Cant speak for the North island but depending where you choose to live be prepared for the Kiwi friends who are all nice to you when you first go there but in our experience once they know all about you they will tend to treat you like just another immigrant. that could be because we live in a small community
We found the general  standard of houses to be poor compared with the UK and very under maintained. This is due to the very high costs of virtually all building/ materials including wallpaper and paint. The plus sides are its a fabulous country scenic wise and also very laid back compared with the UK, however this laid back attitude can lead to many frustrations in trying to get anything done and to get builders/tradesmen to stick to the dates agreed. We may have been unlucky but we have had to chase up every single tradesman to actually come and start on the appointed dates. Could be they are all working on the Christchurch rebuild and just using non earthquake business as a standbye.
However on the whole it is a good move compared to living in the UK but be prepared for some very frustrating times when you first come out here and be under no illusions food is expensive  here.

Hi All,

I am planning to move to Auckland,NZ this june to join for PG diploma in Computing from Unitec, with my husband and our baby girl. Researched a lot about NZ, still curious about the cost of living there as a family.A little help will be much appreciated. Thank you all and have a Good day !

how can i move with my family fro el salvador to new zealand

renato69 wrote:

how can i move with my family fro el salvador to new zealand

Welcome to Expat.com.

To move to NZ you first have to find out if you qualify for a visa and if so what type of visa. For this go to this govt website www.immigration.govt.nz. This site will give you all the information you require.

You have to have a skill or trade and qualifications from a recognized learning institution. The more qualifications the more points towards a visa.

For cost of living in NZ www.numbeo.com

Hi All,  :D

I'm from trinidad and i'm looking at moving to wellington in a year or two. i'm really curious as to what working is like in New Zealand, seems pretty much like where i am now, small company, cool people, close team. but the real qustion is how o people live with all those earthquakes o_O

Hi there!

I'm new here and is not in NZ yet, though my husband just arrived in CH last January. If things goes well (and we're praying that it will by GOD's grace), me and my kids will follow hopefully before the year ends :)

@Plasticman118  (Jonathan)
i have a dream to move out from Pakistan for good/better life (for kids education and life stander-ed and security)
but dont have much as a professional skills...  (just do some basic web-development work online)

How one can move to NZ with a family of 6, ... ? business startup ?    cost ?
Jonathan, keep posting , like to know how you do this.

regards

Hi !  I am a young artist , my inspiration is nature and NZ is well known by it , my wish is to move to Queenstown , so is there any chance for artist like me , ( my profesion is sculpting) :)

I am Janna, 53 years old. I am an academic Lecturer in the university in the field of surgery. I  live now in Egypt but I am preparing for immigration to New Zealand by the grace of God.
I love nature & anxious to unite more with the beautiful nature in NZ. I plan to bring my son & daughter & see my chances in reasearch here.

Hi, My name is Antonio, a 45 yr old Mexican-American citizen, I live in Mexico with my wife and 7yr old kid, I'm a graphic designer and a photographer, my wife went to business school. I love making videos with my drone, camping writing and painting, I no longer do the first thing two things because going to secluded places to film and camp can be dangerous. As much as my family and I love Mexico, a good life for my kid is no longer possible here because corruption and crime are taking our freedom away.
I don't think the US is a very good option to raise my kid, I want him to reach his human potential rather than his economic potential, I want to give him the chance to trust people, study, work, enjoy nature and be safe and happy.
I looked around carefully for a good living option and I think NZ is the place and Kiwis seem to be the nicest people.
However, graphic designers and photographers are not a key necessity in NZ for me to work in, and I got no invitations to work there. Can anybody help?

Just wanted to tell you that I liked your expressions very much. You have inspired beautiful meanings by your words:   "  I want him to reach his human potential rather than his economic potential, I want to give him the chance to trust people, study, work, enjoy nature and be safe and happy. "   You are truely right in your  quest.

Thank you Janna, really, thank you very much, those are only my feelings converted into words, maybe they will be a reality someday.

God bless you.

You're welcome Antonio. My Respect to you.  I need to tell you that I really feel gratified when I find people like you cherishing human moral values above worldly materialistic life specially those living in countries like ours whether Egypt or Mexico . It is pity  that we need to leave our countries just to live simply & honestly as HUMANS !   By the Grace of God, all your dreams & wishes for your son & family will come true.

My name is Richmond, I'm a 28years old Ghanaian and currently live in Kumasi, the capital of Ashanti Region in Ghana.
Charity work has been my priority since infancy. I quiet remember given my only pair of sandals to a friend who never own one in all his life and got beaten by my mum who at that time struggled to buy that particular sandal from the little money she earn through petty trading.
I hold a Diploma in health information and currently working with Ghana Health Service as a Health Data Manager in a district level. Though I had wanted to become a Dental Surgeon, I could not afford the fees so I had to plan again for a different course (Diploma) in a different school.
With my weekly earnings of $80 ($320 a month), I still have been able to secure health insurance policies for close to 30 children and 10 widows and elderly persons in my current working station (Akomadan, Ghana).
I have plans of rolling every child in that small town who is without a health insurance onto the national health insurance scheme to save their lives from preventable diseases like malaria which accounted for about 50.0% of morbidity and  64.9% mortality among children under five (5) years in that small district. Lack of funds (money) has been the main reason for not attending hospital when they fall sick.

I hope to extend my help not only in health but to the education of these GREAT FUTURE LEADERS of my dear country who with no fault of theirs are gradually losing their right to live.

I strongly believe that, the current state of the children in my country, will determine the future of my dear country Ghana.

I current wish to get a sponsor to pursue a Dental Course at University of Otago in New Zealand to enable me reach out to more of such deprived children across my country.
My doors are also open to anyone who shares my dreams for my underdeveloped district to join hand with me both financially and materially.

Please contact me on this mail: [email protected] or look for Gentle Richy on Expat.com page

God richly bless you for thinking about the under privilege children in Africa.

Hi All,
My Name is shoaib, i am Pakistan National currently working in Dubai since june 2012, i am planning to move forward for my better life to enjoy with my family too, i lived 2 years in UK, london for studies, i completed my ACCA there and then i moved here in Dubai, but i am missing desprately the time i spend in UK. This is the reason i want to Explore NZ , these days i am planning to apply for immigration but still having no info how to start....
I will follow my forum Frnds to seek more info and to take guidance from you all.

Thanks
Regards
Shoaib

shoaib.h wrote:

Hi All,
My Name is shoaib, i am Pakistan National currently working in Dubai since june 2012, i am planning to move forward for my better life to enjoy with my family too, i lived 2 years in UK, london for studies, i completed my ACCA there and then i moved here in Dubai, but i am missing desprately the time i spend in UK. This is the reason i want to Explore NZ , these days i am planning to apply for immigration but still having no info how to start....
I will follow my forum Frnds to seek more info and to take guidance from you all.

Thanks
Regards
Shoaib

For visa information and applications www.immigration.govt.nz or a simple online search will give you websites to check out.

Hi Shoaib, 

You could apply through sliver fern job search visa , the application will open on 29 April 2014 that's what i heard but you could reconfirm by New Zealand immigration . Basically, this visa will give you 9 months to go and find jobs once you get the job  with the contract of 12 months or more , your visa from the sliver fern job search will convert in sliver fern practical work visa which will allow you to work for 2 years and its springboard process towards the  residency in New Zealand.
Better you go through the information yourself , but if you are an Accountant chartered I believe you can  apply through a skilled migration program visa .

I am in New Zealand since 2012, I saw some people from my country with high expectation and with good number of money came to NZ to start business. I think only a very few people succeeded in their goal.

Welll , every thing countS basically its luck , approach and findings

dear bilz ...
Thanks for the bellow detailed info, I didn't heared before about silver fern visa, I will try to get more info n want to apply very soon. For this also do we need the same requirments like ielts ?

Hello. Im from Bangladesh. Im moving to Auckland, New Zealand with in the next month most probably. I have good hopes about this place. Im getting enrolled in Ntech's Concordia Institute of Business. My plan is to study there for a year or so and then transfer to University of Auckland. I dont have any knowledge about Auckland and its living. Can anyone help me sort out these few things like

1. Can I get transferred to University of Auckland later on?
2. How is Ntech's Concordia Institute of Business as an institute? Is is renowned?
3. Can I get a part-time job with an average pay rate of $15?
4. Is it hard to get a PR in NZ?
5. What is the minimum living cost in a week in Auckland?

Im asking all these because the other day someone told me that its not a good idea to come and complete graduation in NZ unless I have a lot of money and I don't study in University of Auckland.

mehrabakber wrote:

Hello. Im from Bangladesh. Im moving to Auckland, New Zealand with in the next month most probably. I have good hopes about this place. Im getting enrolled in Ntech's Concordia Institute of Business. My plan is to study there for a year or so and then transfer to University of Auckland. I dont have any knowledge about Auckland and its living. Can anyone help me sort out these few things like

1. Can I get transferred to University of Auckland later on?
2. How is Ntech's Concordia Institute of Business as an institute? Is is renowned?
3. Can I get a part-time job with an average pay rate of $15?
4. Is it hard to get a PR in NZ?
5. What is the minimum living cost in a week in Auckland?

Im asking all these because the other day someone told me that its not a good idea to come and complete graduation in NZ unless I have a lot of money and I don't study in University of Auckland.

You should contact the University  in Auckland to see if a transfer is possible.
As you have a student visa you can work part time but you will definitely not get $15 an hour. 
It is getting harder to get PR unless you have a skill that the Govt is looking for.
For cost of living www.numbeo.com
Rents in Auckland are very expensive as is cost of living in general. I suggest you do a Google search for rentals.

Whoever told you that it is expensive to complete graduation in NZ is correct and you will need a lot of money

hi ya my name is emma I am only looking for friends as I don't have much

I am a 31 years old Lebanese citizen, I occupy the position of factory manager in a furniture factory in Lebanon which is a very nice country with plenty of internal and external political and religious issues affecting the lifestyle and the progress potential of almost all of its young people. I was always fascinated by everything about New Zealand and would be a proud and happy person if I could make it my home.

bdouaidy wrote:

I am a 31 years old Lebanese citizen, I occupy the position of factory manager in a furniture factory in Lebanon which is a very nice country with plenty of internal and external political and religious issues affecting the lifestyle and the progress potential of almost all of its young people. I was always fascinated by everything about New Zealand and would be a proud and happy person if I could make it my home.

For visas www.immigration.govt.nz

No, I lived in NZ for 16 years, that was long enough, I am looking at Vietnam now and would like to pick some information from anyone willing to talk.

I am 51 years old science graduate teacher living in Sri Lanka. I prefer to join  a NGO and do some social work in NZ.
My husband is an executive grade government officer in Sri Lanka. I'll have to acompany him as he is suffering from inherited mental disease. I am very much suffer from this condition and although he do his all the responsibilities as well in his office our sri lankan people doesn't know how to behave with such a patient. Pl help me.

Deepani

deepaniwi wrote:

I am 51 years old science graduate teacher living in Sri Lanka. I prefer to join  a NGO and do some social work in NZ.
My husband is an executive grade government officer in Sri Lanka. I'll have to acompany him as he is suffering from inherited mental disease. I am very much suffer from this condition and although he do his all the responsibilities as well in his office our sri lankan people doesn't know how to behave with such a patient. Pl help me.

Deepani

Are you looking to work in NZ. I would think, that due to your husbands problem, you will not be able to get into NZ.

Good day,
Can somebody please give me advise?
My family and I was planning to go to Australia but also considered New Zealand. I have done the IELTS and have obtained 7,6.5, 7.5,8.5. I also did the work skills assessment with the Australia Computer Society (ACS) and was successful under the code 135112 (ICT Project Manager) I have more than 9 years experience as an ICT Project Manager.

Firstly, I would like to know if the ICT Project Manager is part of the scarce skill in NZ?
Secondly, does the work skill I did with ACS have a strong weight for me to get PR in New Zealand?
Lastly, what IELTS band score do I need with my skills to obtain PR in New Zealand?

My family and I would like to be located in Auckland.

Thank you

cmbryan wrote:

Good day,
Can somebody please give me advise?
My family and I was planning to go to Australia but also considered New Zealand. I have done the IELTS and have obtained 7,6.5, 7.5,8.5. I also did the work skills assessment with the Australia Computer Society (ACS) and was successful under the code 135112 (ICT Project Manager) I have more than 9 years experience as an ICT Project Manager.

Firstly, I would like to know if the ICT Project Manager is part of the scarce skill in NZ?
Secondly, does the work skill I did with ACS have a strong weight for me to get PR in New Zealand?
Lastly, what IELTS band score do I need with my skills to obtain PR in New Zealand?

My family and I would like to be located in Auckland.

Thank you

Welcome to EB

For visa information and applications for NZ www.immigration.govt.nz. Your score with ASC will have no bearing on any application for PR in NZ. You will have to go through due process to get into NZ. and PR will be awarded on the applicants merits, qualifications etc. It is not a short cut to come to Australia first in order to get into NZ.

Just be aware that Auckland is a very expensive city to live in. Rents are astronomically high. For cost of living www.numbeo.com or do a Google search. Good luck.

Hi,
     I am from kathmandu nepal and applying for study in newzealand with dependent. So wanna know about oakland city, also wanna know bout work available there,

suzan kc wrote:

Hi,
     I am from kathmandu nepal and applying for study in newzealand with dependent. So wanna know about oakland city, also wanna know bout work available there,

Welcome to EB

I think you mean Auckland City. If you get a student visa you can work part time only which is not much. Rents are very high, $300 a week will not get you much. I suggest you do an extensive Google search for as much information as you can about NZ before you head over. There are also plenty of posts on this forum which will give you an insight into NZ.
For cost of living www.numbeo.com

So I went o  this site thinking it was to apply for jobs In PNG for electrical am I wrong?

sean Bennett wrote:

So I went o  this site thinking it was to apply for jobs In PNG for electrical am I wrong?

Hi and welcome to Expat.com.

Have you checked out www.seek.com.au or www.seek.co.nz for work. You could also Google something like electrical work in PNG. There is a lot of building construction work going on in Port Moresby at the moment.

Check out Fletcher NZ as they have a company in PNG. Also Downers too.

Sir/Mam,
        Im AUBREY BELEN 26years 0ld ,single . I lived in 587San miguel sto tomas batangas.
Im work in Company (HYSONIC PHILS.INC) here in san rafael sto tomas batangas
I want to go to new zealand b'coz i want to help my family.

THANK YOU

Closed