New members of the Ireland forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ireland forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ireland if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hey everyone in Shauna currently living in Dublin moving to Vancouver in august eeeek ! IM so nervous me and my boyfriend are heading over so if anyone has tips or information on the big move it would be really appreciated.
thanks
Shauna

Hie everyone.,am George,23yrs old and am from malawi (africa).i would like to move to ireland for some job opportunities so that i can support myself and carry on with my studies.i have 2years experience in restaurant jobs,both waiter and bartender position.idont have any family or friend out there so i would like to ask if there could be anyone who could help me with accomadation just for the first few days until i get a job in ireland and i can find my own place and move..Please if theres anybody who can help.THANK YOU..GOD WILL BLESS YOU

Hi all,

I came to Dublin last October to join my family. I guess I did not have to go through the usual new-to-the-country song & dance, thanks to my family. I knew from my earlier visits that Ireland is my kinda country with very nice people and a lots of beautiful country-side to visit. Unfortunately, with my learner's driving licence, I cannot hit the motorways.

I would be checking out expat-blog.com for suggestions on getting around the country and know more about the culture (my daughter's history text book has taken care Irish history part).

I am a technology blogger and a freelance data-scientist. I cannot work in this country, so guess what, I have a lot of time to spend on the golf courses  ;-)

Cheers.
PS: Does anyone fish?

Hello everyone!  My name is Brian and I currently reside in North Carolina.  I am currently trying to find employment in Ireland, but am having a difficult time in doing so. I was just in Dublin a couple of weeks ago for an interview, but unfortunately, I did not get that job.  I'm currently unemployed and am desperate to find work. Although I didn't want to have to do it, I've begun looking here in the states as well. 

I'm going to be putting my house on the market within the next couple of weeks, so maybe the money I make off of the sale will allow me to move to Ireland and then seek work.  I think part of the problem is that I do live overseas.  I'm lucky in the fact that I am an Irish citizen and I hold an Irish passport, so legally being bale to work is not an issue.

If anyone has any connections in the hotel industry, please let me know. My experience is in the Conference and Banqueting area.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading through all of the topics here and getting to know some of you.

Cheers!

Hello everyone,

my name's Iza, I live and study in Łódź. I used to live in Ireland for a good while, but at the moment I'm studying to get my BA in Poland. My research focuses on English language in Ireland, I'm particularly interested in pronunciation and accents. I'm thinking of continuing my studies in Ireland in the future.

Best,
Iza.

In cork for visitation.

Good day

I've not moved to Dublin as yet, but am really interested in studying nursing.

Greetings!

My name is Ed and I have lived in south-central Connecticut my entire life.  My children are grown and almost self-sufficient and I feel it's time for me to move on to the next chapter in my life - returning to the land of my parent's birth.
I've been to Ireland several times in the past (many relatives still live there) and I love the slower pace of life I experienced and the genuine warmth of the people I came in contact with.

I hope to make the move within the next two years and hopefully I will find employment in Ireland at some point in order to make the move possible.

I want to move Waterford Ireland with family.
I heard that its very expensive.I request to forum members who already line in Waterford that guide me to get a cheap accommodation as well as other things
Thanks and Regards

Hey Everybody,

Moved here from South Africa about 3 years ago. Its like a time vortex sometimes. Anyway, just looking for some other SA peeps to chill with and get to know. I'm a bit shy and reserved at first but a pint or two later will settle that. Hopefully there are some fun people around. If there is a group meet up let me know please i would love to try it out.

Regards
R

im clive from ireland

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory]

hello

kindly tell me that the primary education of children's of international researcher is free in water ford Ireland.

Thanks

Hello

I shall be very thankful to you if you guide me about children's primary education system in IRELAND WATERFORD as I read on internet that it is free. Actually my husband get a contract job as a researcher so we are planning to move I reland but we have no idea about primary education system or other related things as we know that ireland is very expensive.
so please guide us in this matter if you dont mind

Thanks

sara

Hi all.My husband is an Irish citizen who hopes to retire in Ireland in 2 years.Ive been to Ireland many times but Im not all that excited about upping stakes here in Canada and moving.Ive heard many times that the Irish are not interested in making friends with "blow ins".If anyone's got any advice or has retired in either the North or the Republic I would love to hear  your story!

Hi everyone, I'm new here to this website. Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Cindy and am applying for biblical colleges in the fall. I'm leaning towards Dublin, even though I think I would be better suited in the country side to get the most out of my experience. However, I'm willing to push myself out of my comfort zone and am trusting God to point me in the right direction. On another note any information would be helpful as I'm taking a leap of faith in pursuing life in another country that's nothing like the American lifestyle and I love the idea of that. I've always had a love and appreciation for culture and Ireland in particular has always been a dream of mine to live in. Any friends or Ireland natives would be highly appreciated in regards to living situations, work, and advice. Or any Americans who have gone through this process before would be a delight.

Cheers!

Hello Everyone! My name is Anna and I am currently a Marketing Major in school. I am 32 and ready for a career change. I have taught dance since I was 15 and I am now ready for a change.  I am looking into coming to Ireland for my summer internship next year. I look forward to spending the year learning everything I can. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Hello everyone.  My name is Prabhu Prakash Khalsa.  Although my name doesn't sound like it, I'm a native Texan (Austin) and currently reside in Austin.  Although Austin is a wonderful place, it has become too crowded.  Our daughter has recently graduated from college and I'm retiring from my university job in 2 months.  My husband and I are both yoga teachers and I am a massage therapist as well as college admission staff for many years. 

Last year our daughter and my best friend and I had the blessing of traveling to Ireland and Scotland and quite simply, fell in love.  We are searching not only for a way to visit again, but a way to move there.  We were so taken by the friendliness of the people, the beauty of the surroundings, the music, the food... well everything about it really.  Since our genetic heritage is from Ireland and the highlands of Scotland, it stands to reason that we would feel at home. 

As I'm sure you can understanding, never having lived abroad, the idea of taking that leap is rather daunting.  We own a home in Austin and really are looking for guidance on where to start.  What is the cost of living in Ireland.  Is it better to retire close to a city or in the country (for U.S. expats).  How much does it cost to rent a house/apartment.  It would be retirement for us, but our daughter is looking to find a job there (she's a very good writer and musician and passionate about women's rights). There is also the distinct possibility of graduate school for her in creative writing or English literature. 

Any tips or guidance will be most appreciated!

Blessings,

Prabhu Prakash Khalsa

Thank you very much for the warm and pleasant welcome!
I/We (my wife & I) send our very best wishes for health, happiness, peace & prosperity to all of you there as well.
I/We DO appreciate it. Not that I think it matters, necessarily, but my maternal grandmother was Irish, but I cannot prove it, otherwise I might already be living in Ireland. I am not, at present, living in Ireland, but I would DEFINITELY like to do so, if it seems reasonable/feasible to me. As you might already know, (or may have assumed) I am a dual national holding currently valid passports from both the U.S. and Israel.
Before I make any firm decision to relocate, [and the decision IS essentially, mine alone to make, since my wife will go wherever I choose to be] I'll need to gain some fairly broad and general, as well as some specific information. As you may have presumed I've already investigated several Real Estate prices in various locations on the Emerald Isle. Based upon what I've seen, I do believe that I/We will be in a financial position to be able to purchase (for cash) something modest and suitable for the two of us there with money enough left over for the necessary furnishings as well.
I can, of course drive, but due to finances I do not presently own a car or drive, so access to transportation there  will be one of my main concerns as to a logical location for us. Besides many/most Israeli drivers are absolutely frightening! (Not as crazy perhaps as drivers I've seen in Greece, but pretty wacky, none the less) By the way I loved the Greek people I met there & they seemed to at least like me as well.
I'm a retiree/pensioner age 71, who, thanks be unto God, is still in rather good physical and mental health. My wife & I are presently living in Israel, where we've been living for going on to 5 years now. This is not my first time to live outside the U.S., where I was born, and Israel is not the only country I've lived besides the U.S. Between 2004 and 2008 we lived in my wife's native Ukraine, to which, quite honestly I never, ever, want to return, for several reasons that should be obvious to most people.
I/We live on a rather fixed income of about $1,300/month deriving from SSA benefits and a small privately earned, but government administered pension. I do teach (Privately Tutor) English [ESL] at my home and earn a little extra from doing so. I enjoy teaching so, it's more fun than work for me, plus I limit myself to a maximum of 12 hours/week.  I can also teach elocution and diction, but haven't had any specific requests for same to date. I'm a published author and writer of, largely, short stories, poetry and political commentaries. Who knows? Maybe this came from my 1/4 Irish blood!  :)
My main reason(s) for wanting to relocate to Ireland are focused upon, primarily, the internationally acclaimed friendliness of the Irish people, the cooler climate and a preference to be among primarily Christian people, as we both are. We are essentially quiet people who are friendly and neighborly, always willing to assist any of our neighbors whenever possible. Sadly, while Israel does have several good reasons to want to live here, not the least of which is the very good and very cheap Medical/Health Care system in place here. That plus public transportation here is quite excellent and relatively cheap as well, but having to deal with such obnoxious people on a daily basis does get tedious to say the least. The real bottom line, with me, is the fact that most Israelis are not especially friendly. To say they're hard to get to know and/or appreciate is and has long been firmly established. I do not really relate well to what Jewishness has come to be here in Israel, even though my father was Jewish & as you might imagine, that is the main reason it was quite easy for me to relocate here as an Israeli citizen. Honesty, reliability, honor-ability, integrity & good character all seem to be all but non-existent here. To say that many/most of the people here and the government here are both highly corrupt, would be an gross understatement. If I allow these things to affect me, they can become rather depressing. But, typically I prefer to focus on more positive things.
In general, I like people and like to interact with people. Here this is difficult despite the fact that I do speak Hebrew modestly/sufficiently well.
Any advice, tips or suggestions you might be able to offer concerning our prospective relocation to Ireland will surely be greatly appreciated.
I'm not much of a drinker, but the idea of a friendly glass of a good Irish brew, in a friendly Irish pub is surely a welcome idea to me, at almost any time, even if I might have but just one.
I am more than happy to respond to anyone who might have questions about life in Israel or in the U.S. or Ukraine for that matter. Quality of life is and always has been more important to me than quantity!
Thank you for your time and interest.
Sincerely, Major Mel

Hi to all,
Shari (my wife) and I moved to Ireland this past April.  We are currently living in Ballinrobe, CO Mayo.  I received Irish citizenship through descent.  My fraternal grandmother was born in County Galway and I was fortunate to find all the paperwork I needed to become a citizen.  Currently, we are adapting to the changes we are experiencing and the people we have met are very helpful and friendly.  If you would like to read more about our transition to the Irish culture please check out our blog and if anyone has questions, please ask and we will be glad to respond back to you. :)
Thanks
Shari and Bill

Our blog is:  shariandbillsomewhereinireland.blogspot.ie/

While I've never actually visited Vancouver, I have been in Victoria, British Columbia. Basically, I think you'll like living there. It's a very nice friendly place in general, yet quite cosmopolitan. Things might be a bit more expensive there, but not much compared to Dublin. The weather is similar. A good bit of rain, especially in winter (and SNOW! OH YEAH! YOU'LL GET MORE SNOW THAN IN IRELAND FOR SURE) and it WILL BE COLDER IN WINTER THERE!
There's a goodly sized Chinese community there, so you'll have the opportunity to eat some great Chinese food in the restaurants there. I wish you the best of good luck there.

Greetings!
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a question or two! 1.) Did you buy a place there or are you renting? 2.) Do you have health insurance there? ...and if so, how much does it cost?
My wife & I are considering to relocate to the Cork area and would purchase, for cash, our home there.
We currently live in Israel, but would prefer to be among more friendly folks.
By the way, I love fishing, especially trout or salmon fishing! I lived in Colorado for 15 years and took full advantage of the good trout fishing possibilities there as often as I could! Was more often than not fairly successful in catching Rainbows, Browns, Lake Trout and sometimes even Brook Trout. Major Mel

Hello

My Illusion is to move to Ireland for different reasons.

First of all it's an English country and I have a good English level. My level is upper-intermediate. Secondly in Ireland there are a lot of jobs in IT and I am a Computer Engineer. I have experience in working and developing databases, especially Oracle databases..

Another very important point for me is that Ireland is a Catholic country. Nowadays for many people, may be for young people, are not an essential point but it's for me and my beliefs.

I'd like to find a job there and why not even create my own family there.
I love to meet people from different cultures and languages than mine.

I hope someone can help me to make this dream come true

Sincerely

Tomas Lorite

HI All,

my name is Ivona and I am originally from Prague, Czech republic. I came to Ireland 10 years for a summer job and somehow I just stayed ...mainly because I fell in love with an Irish guy ....Nowadays I am the happiest here I have ever been, found a job which really fulfills me (community interpreter, so, I get to use my knowledge of language, law, customs etc ...,  and mainly, help other people who get to various difficult situations and because their level of English isnt as good as the community institutions wish to be, we community interpreters come handy because we are the bridge which allows then the help to be available for them  ..) ...
I find Ireland amazing ...people are not only friendly, but very helpful as well, they wont leave you stuck if they think they could prevent it ...

Ivona

Hello Ivona,

I've read your letter with special attention and it makes me think that it's a good chance to move to Ireland to live,  to stay and to work.
I'd like to know people who are working in IT and can help me or give me some warnings about IT companies which could need IT programmer engineers.

I've read as you say that Irish people are so amazing and friendly as you say. All that make me think that I could move to Ireland and to live there.

I hope to have news from you.

Sincerely

Tomas

Hello every1 i am here to introduce my self this is shah i live in dublin and working here would like to make new friends

Hello! My name is Kimia, I'm 23 and from Sydney, Australia. I studied Criminology and Criminal Justice and just spent a year living in Madrid teaching English to primary school kids. I plan on working in Dublin now and would love to meet some people!

Hello kimia, then well come in advance to dublin my name is shah i live here in dublin and working since last few years, when ru plaining to move doen then

hoteljobs.iebs.ie

Best of luck :-)

Ivona

Hi Tomas,

I asked one of my friends who works in the IT industry for help ....he suggests sending me your cv and I ll forward it to him ...than, set up a profile on Lindelkn, which is where IT companies and professionals look for employees ...

my email is [email protected]....

Ivona

Hey kimia, I've only just recently moved here myself. Let me know when your in town and I'd be happy to catch up for coffee. I'm from melb, Australia myself. What makes you want to make the move here? 😃

Hello Kimia

There are a few things that make me have in mind to move to Ireland.
Ireland is in Europe just over two hours from Spain. English is the landuage spoken and i want to improve it. Irish people are very kind people. In Ireland there are many IT companies headquartered in that country and therefore there are more job openings than in other countries. So there are a few things that make me think that I could move to Ireland.
Also here in Spain there is still s deep economic and social crisis and IT companies take advantage of this situations to offer low wages.
Also I've always wanted to work in an English environment and I want to to get it.

It would be my pleasure to share with you my time and to have a coffee in any bar or restaurant in Dublin
Tomas

My name is Sara. I currently live in Algeria with my Algerian husband. I am of dual nationality. British and Algerian.  I have moved to live with my husband for 9 months, we have however decided that Europe is the life for us. Me and my husband plan to move to Ireland in August 15th inshallah. We are looking for HOSTS to help us on our journey when we arrive. Many thanks in advance and hope to meet many interesting people.

We have both finished our university studies in Film and TV Production. We would also be looking for work once we arrive but we are not fussy on the type of work we find. We are extremely excited to start a new life together in Ireland.

We would like help of course of how to find suitable accommodation ( on a budget of course ).

Many thanks guys and hope to meet many interesting people whilst in Ireland and whilst on this blog group. :)

Hi!

My name is Antoine, I am a French student who studied one year in Athlone, Ireland. I am currently doing an internship for a French traditional company which is producing wooden games in Brittany. Because Brittany is similar to Ireland (music, dance, traditions,...), they would like to do business with Eire!

Thus, I am doing a market research about Ireland and I need some current information about Irish people.

Reards,

Antoine

hi
we have been involved with some activities in the past to assist in educating you people through a priest friend of ours
now we trade with companies in Manila and Cebu Island
We are going to be stocking food products from both places shortly and now have Guyabano Puree (Soursop) in Cork.
thats all about us really
Dave

Hey Iza

I'll be moving to Ireland nect month for studies and would love to learn fron your experiences,  how did you find Ireland and where did you stay and what people are really like? 
Sorry toi many questions but I hope you'll understand it wilk be hard for to move to Ireland with no friends around me

Hope to hear from you soon :-)

Hi Everyone

I am from England and will be moving to Galway,  Ireland for the next few years for my studies.

I would love to know someone already in Galway or nearby this place and give me a taster what its like being there

Thanks
Zaf

Hi
I am Raz, from Paris.

I recently had an interview with a Dublin based company. If the outcome is positif, I might move to Dublin.

Ciao..

Hi everyone,
I'm a student from Argentina who wants to live in Ireland someday in the future. I've always been fascinated by Ireland's history and culture so hopefully I'll be able to live there at least for a few months.

Closed